Shipping Progress
(02-14-2021, 03:14 PM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 02:29 PM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 02:05 PM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 01:43 PM)dgdimick Wrote: I'd look for the Phone being offered with out the current verbiage of "[Only EU order]"
I just looked on the website, and it shows 6 new entries, this is up from 2 from a few weeks ago - looks like they are getting ready to start rolling out a number of new "models".
Good news if you ask me.

(02-14-2021, 09:19 AM)WarpLover Wrote: TY. I saw the six entries! (its my home page for now) Are we limited to just one phone per order or could we order two, from your experience? What accessories would be advisable?
I guess I need to make it clear, I'm just some excited guy waiting for my PinePhone, so take everything I say with this in mind.
I'm not sure how many PinePhones you can order at once, I do know that you're not able to combine PinePhones and with other items, there's an issue with the type of batteries installed in the PinePhones.
As for accessories, I ordered a case, the protective glass, as well as the Keyboard. I didn't really need another Keyboard, however, the Keyboard has 2 USB slots in it, as well as I wanted to support the Pine community.
It took 2 to 3 weeks for the accessories to show up here in the US, so they ship them fairly quickly, I suspect it may take a few months to get the PinePhone. One delay is the Chinese New Year, the country basically shuts down for 2 weeks - Think Christmas, New Years, and Thanksgiving, ALL at once for a comparison. So I'm just playing "hurry up and wait".
"from your experience" shows I'm clear Smile
I have heard that accessories have to be a separate order
The software finally sounds like its at a point where I am willing to jump in.
I haven't visited the accessories for PP page yet. I don't even know what is offered. When I asked, I was thinking along the lines of special cables to ssh, or extra batteries, special power bricks, etc., but am glad to hear that those pieces are also there.

Ugh, once again I have succeeded in not being clear. I bought the model that didn't require me to purchase the extra cable; Convergence
https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-com...46c16e2e66

To me the extra memory and cable was something I wanted. While you can set up SSH without the cable, it was the ability to use it as an OTG cable that sealed it for me. I plan on using the Phone for playing with SDR's so I know I'll want to hang dongles off of it.
(02-14-2021, 05:27 PM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 02:29 PM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 02:05 PM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 01:43 PM)dgdimick Wrote: I'd look for the Phone being offered with out the current verbiage of "[Only EU order]"
I just looked on the website, and it shows 6 new entries, this is up from 2 from a few weeks ago - looks like they are getting ready to start rolling out a number of new "models".
Good news if you ask me.

I guess I need to make it clear, I'm just some excited guy waiting for my PinePhone, so take everything I say with this in mind.
I'm not sure how many PinePhones you can order at once, I do know that you're not able to combine PinePhones and with other items, there's an issue with the type of batteries installed in the PinePhones.
As for accessories, I ordered a case, the protective glass, as well as the Keyboard. I didn't really need another Keyboard, however, the Keyboard has 2 USB slots in it, as well as I wanted to support the Pine community.
It took 2 to 3 weeks for the accessories to show up here in the US, so they ship them fairly quickly, I suspect it may take a few months to get the PinePhone. One delay is the Chinese New Year, the country basically shuts down for 2 weeks - Think Christmas, New Years, and Thanksgiving, ALL at once for a comparison. So I'm just playing "hurry up and wait".
I haven't visited the accessories for PP page yet. I don't even know what is offered. When I asked, I was thinking along the lines of special cables to ssh, or extra batteries, special power bricks, etc., but am glad to hear that those pieces are also there.

Ugh, once again I have succeeded in not being clear. I bought the model that didn't require me to purchase the extra cable; Convergence

To me the extra memory and cable was something I wanted. While you can set up SSH without the cable, it was the ability to use it as an OTG cable that sealed it for me. I plan on using the Phone for playing with SDR's so I know I'll want to hang dongles off of it.
I want a convergence running Mobian. I always max out on the HW options when I buy something like this, so 3gb is a must. I will want to use the phone as a computer, so the ability to have mouse, keyboard and full screen is fantastic. And a phone that could run on a wired Ethernet! Who would have thought?
I also will want to do SDR. I was disappointed to hear that almost every wifi chipset has FM built in, but no one make drivers for them and apparently they aren't completely hooked up within the chip either. FM will be nice to have on the SDR.
I was just thinking about Pine64s keyboard with 2 USB ports. So you plug in the convergence adapter and that adds a USB hub to the phone. And when you plug a Pine64 keyboard into that, it adds another USB hub? Is the keyboard using external power, or is it getting its power from the convergence adapter in that scenario? Just wondering out loud.
(02-15-2021, 11:58 AM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 02:29 PM)dgdimick Wrote: I guess I need to make it clear, I'm just some excited guy waiting for my PinePhone, so take everything I say with this in mind.

I want a convergence running Mobian. I always max out on the HW options when I buy something like this, so 3gb is a must. I will want to use the phone as a computer, so the ability to have mouse, keyboard and full screen is fantastic. And a phone that could run on a wired Ethernet! Who would have thought?
I also will want to do SDR. I was disappointed to hear that almost every wifi chipset has FM built in, but no one make drivers for them and apparently they aren't completely hooked up within the chip either. FM will be nice to have on the SDR.
I was just thinking about Pine64s keyboard with 2 USB ports. So you plug in the convergence adapter and that adds a USB hub to the phone. And when you plug a Pine64 keyboard into that, it adds another USB hub? Is the keyboard using external power, or is it getting its power from the convergence adapter in that scenario? Just wondering out loud.
The RTL-SDR has been demonstrated as working with the PinePhone.
(02-14-2021, 02:05 PM)WarpLover Wrote: Are we limited to just one phone per order or could we order two, from your experience?

From some correspondence I had with sales via email they said you could order "up to 5" but for more than that to contact them for an Invoice (whatever that means).

Which, incidentally, had nothing to do with the question I actually asked them Big Grin but maybe sharing this information here ends up helping someone else out, after all.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-16-2021, 03:04 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 02:05 PM)WarpLover Wrote: Are we limited to just one phone per order or could we order two, from your experience?

From some correspondence I had with sales via email they said you could order "up to 5" but for more than that to contact them for an Invoice (whatever that means).

Which, incidentally, had nothing to do with the question I actually asked them Big Grin but maybe sharing this information here ends up helping someone else out, after all.
Your avatar looks like a RS Color Computer to me.

(02-15-2021, 09:50 PM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 02:29 PM)dgdimick Wrote: I guess I need to make it clear, I'm just some excited guy waiting for my PinePhone, so take everything I say with this in mind.

I'm pushing my luck here, but I wonder if anyone has tried a Hauppauge TV tuner in the USB port of the adapter? It's used on linux and many home theater boxes, I just wondered if they have tried it on the phone yet?

So after the Feb announcement, its clear I won't get Mobian preinstalled. No Biggie. All I can say on the decision for only shipping Manjero preinstalled is....it better work.
(02-16-2021, 04:11 PM)WarpLover Wrote:

(02-14-2021, 03:14 PM)WarpLover Wrote: "from your experience" shows I'm clear Smile

I'm pushing my luck here, but I wonder if anyone has tried a Hauppauge TV tuner in the USB port of the adapter? It's used on linux and many home theater boxes, I just wondered if they have tried it on the phone yet?

So after the Feb announcement, its clear I won't get Mobian preinstalled. No Biggie. All I can say on the decision for only shipping Manjero preinstalled is....it better work.

I'm not sure about the Hauppauge tuner, is it using the same Chip set as the RTL-SDR? If so it shouldn't be an issue.
I'm also pretty sure it's not that hard to swap out the OS version when you do get your Phone, there seems to be pretty good documentation on how to do it.
(02-16-2021, 04:25 PM)dgdimick Wrote:

(02-14-2021, 05:27 PM)dgdimick Wrote: Ugh, once again I have succeeded in not being clear. I bought the model that didn't require me to purchase the extra cable; Convergence

I'm not sure about the Hauppauge tuner, is it using the same Chip set as the RTL-SDR? If so it shouldn't be an issue.
I'm also pretty sure it's not that hard to swap out the OS version when you do get your Phone, there seems to be pretty good documentation on how to do it.
It's unrelated to SDR.
It's a USB dongle with a coax connector on the opposite end. It has dual TV tuners inside (watch one show - record another, or picture in picture). It scans the signal on the coax for channels like a TV does, and you end up with a software TV tuner/PVR/TV Guide and so on. It would be great for local free "airband" TV (weather, sports). Comes with a very small portable TV antenna.
I can get everything BUT local TV on my PC. This device changes that.
https://youtu.be/Gkdkh4NleVA
(02-16-2021, 04:52 PM)WarpLover Wrote:

(02-15-2021, 11:58 AM)WarpLover Wrote: I want a convergence running Mobian. I always max out on the HW options when I buy something like this, so 3gb is a must. I will want to use the phone as a computer, so the ability to have mouse, keyboard and full screen is fantastic. And a phone that could run on a wired Ethernet! Who would have thought?

It's unrelated to SDR.
It's a USB dongle with a coax connector on the opposite end. It has dual TV tuners inside (watch one show - record another, or picture in picture). It scans the signal on the coax for channels like a TV does, and you end up with a software TV tuner/PVR/TV Guide and so on. It would be great for local free "airband" TV (weather, sports). Comes with a very small portable TV antenna.

Some random stuff because I'm just waking up, have not had my coffee, and have a bit of A.D.D.

I'm not sure if you're understanding how Linux works, or me it could just be me miss-understanding your post, however, It is ALL about the chipset.

Just because it's an SDR, and plugs into your computer, doesn't mean it's supported by the OS. Unless someone has taken the time to write a DRIVER for the Chipset used by XYZ SDR, then it will not work. The current DOCUMENTED CHIPSET supported is the RTL2832U chipset. A quick search for the Chipset used by the Hauppauge TV tuner turns up a mess of nonsense; it's sort of like searching for "I own a car"

I'll try and use two analogies here to explain DRIVERS and SOFTWARE.

1 - When you buy XYZ product, you may need to install some type of driver, normally this is provided by the software required to be installed to use XYZ product. If the Hauppauge TV tuner isn't supported by an OS, (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc) it's because the divers needed by the OS have not been written; the OS wont even "see" the SDR when it's inserted in to the USB slot. Then you need someone to write the SOFTWARE to provide the functions you want to use with the XYZ product.

2 - Think of it as a car, you want XYZ tires, however, BMW hasn't built the correct RIMS needed to mount the tires on the car; Software drivers. Once someone comes out with the correct rims; Software Drivers.  You now need to find someone to mount the tires on the rim; Software that allows the car to drive with these new tires.

I'm hoping I've been able to clear up any confusion, with out coming across as a jerk, it's not me intention - it's a failure to have a real time conversation; I say something and you ask questions.

As one random bit of information that could be helpful, check out this URL for more information on Linux support for the SDR Dongle you own

https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/...linux.html

While I don't own this SDR, I'll be more then happy to try and help you when I get my PinePhone, so at least try and get it to working for you, I'm not going to promise I'll be able to solve any issue you have, however, I can at least try to help. A simple duckduckgo search doesn't return any data that someone has figured out how to get your SDR Dongle to work, however, this doesn't mean you should give up all hope, just use it as a data point, that it may not work.

I'm more then willing to spend the time communicating with you, so you can understand this subject, someone a LONG time ago spent the time helping me understand this, and I'm more then happy to help someone else.
(02-17-2021, 04:56 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 03:04 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: From some correspondence I had with sales via email they said you could order "up to 5" but for more than that to contact them for an Invoice (whatever that means).

(02-15-2021, 09:50 PM)dgdimick Wrote: The RTL-SDR has been demonstrated as working with the PinePhone.

It's unrelated to SDR.

Some random stuff because I'm just waking up, have not had my coffee, and have a bit of A.D.D.

I'm not sure if you're understanding how Linux works, or me it could just be me miss-understanding your post, however, It is ALL about the chipset.

Just because it's an SDR, and plugs into your computer, doesn't mean it's supported by the OS. Unless someone has taken the time to write a DRIVER for the Chipset used by XYZ SDR, then it will not work. The current DOCUMENTED CHIPSET supported is the RTL2832U chipset. A quick search for the Chipset used by the Hauppauge TV tuner turns up a mess of nonsense; it's sort of like searching for "I own a car"

1 - When you buy XYZ product, you may need to install some type of driver, normally this is provided by the software required to be installed to use XYZ product. If the Hauppauge TV tuner isn't supported by an OS, (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc) it's because the divers needed by the OS have not been written; the OS wont even "see" the SDR when it's inserted in to the USB slot. Then you need someone to write the SOFTWARE to provide the functions you want to use with the XYZ product.

2 - Think of it as a car, you want XYZ tires, however, BMW hasn't built the correct RIMS needed to mount the tires on the car; Software drivers. Once someone comes out with the correct rims; Software Drivers.  You now need to find someone to mount the tires on the rim; Software that allows the car to drive with these new tires.

I'm hoping I've been able to clear up any confusion, with out coming across as a jerk, it's not me intention - it's a failure to have a real time conversation; I say something and you ask questions.

As one random bit of information that could be helpful, check out this URL for more information on Linux support for the SDR Dongle you own

While I don't own this SDR, I'll be more then happy to try and help you when I get my PinePhone, so at least try and get it to working for you, I'm not going to promise I'll be able to solve any issue you have, however, I can at least try to help. A simple duckduckgo search doesn't return any data that someone has figured out how to get your SDR Dongle to work, however, this doesn't mean you should give up all hope, just use it as a data point, that it may not work.

I'm more then willing to spend the time communicating with you, so you can understand this subject, someone a LONG time ago spent the time helping me understand this, and I'm more then happy to help someone else.
I am a total noob, yes. But I have maybe 4 sbc or home theater boards that run linux/LibreElec and all of them support Hauppauge. So the chipset is supported somewhere in the linux universe. I'm pretty sure I read it can run on the RP64. My simple question was can that current software also be used on pinephone? No one has tried? That answers the question.
(02-17-2021, 10:01 AM)WarpLover Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 04:56 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 04:11 PM)WarpLover Wrote: Your avatar looks like a RS Color Computer to me.

It's unrelated to SDR.

I am a total noob, yes. But I have maybe 4 sbc or home theater boards that run linux/LibreElec and all of them support Hauppauge. So the chipset is supported somewhere in the linux universe. I'm pretty sure I read it can run on the RP64. My simple question was can that current software also be used on pinephone? No one has tried? That answers the question.

After I posted I did some more research, and it looks like the drivers for your SDR are not opensource, typical of a lot of manufactures. How much "control" do you have over your "sbc" boards? Are they just a box that runs Linux, or do you have access to them via a shell? - if you don't understand that question, then you probably don't have shell access.

If you have shell access, and they are running on the same hardware platform as the PinePhone, the MAYBE, just MAYBE, you could extract the drivers from them - if they are not compiled into the kernel. There's a lot of "maybes" here, so take it with a grain of salt.

One Idea I do have is contact the manufacture and ask them if they will compile a version for the PinePhone, they may just do it. Normally this should be too big of a deal, since it's only the drivers, not the software. As you're seeing on the forums, it's the software that's the major issue.
My 2 cents advice is buy something like this so you can play a bit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RTL2832U-R828D-...Sw2NxfhV6s

Just remember, we all started where you are now, you just have the advantage of a lot of people already having done some of what your trying - use dudckduckgo and keep changing your search, you may find a solution.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happened to $12 EU shipping rate to Poland? Randomuser 5 2,964 12-17-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: ashvaganda
  Shipping Alternatives for USA customers FOSSagent0 4 2,679 05-13-2023, 09:44 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Shipping to Canada extremely costly cptantiles 1 1,066 02-28-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Shipping TO Hong Kong? hker 1 2,013 07-06-2022, 07:47 PM
Last Post: RuTrainsurfer
  Shipping stuck in: "Airlines Receive" for nearly a month KiteX3 12 7,952 03-26-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  Have EU pinephones started shipping since CNY? baigan 6 5,183 02-28-2022, 10:55 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No more standard shipping? kqlnut 3 3,662 07-19-2021, 05:45 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
Question PineBook Pro shipping to India User 22380 2 4,301 06-25-2021, 09:37 PM
Last Post: User 22380
  no shipping notice on my purchase restiforin 0 2,211 06-13-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: restiforin
  Shipping service used in Canada MikeJewski 6 11,886 05-17-2021, 04:13 PM
Last Post: optimus