Unable to read sd card
I have a kde ce pinephone, and I am having a problem reading the sd card. I have tried with two different cards with the same results.

The sd card is listed in lsblk, however none of the partitions on the card are listed. I thought that was strange, so I tried to open the device in fdisk, but all I got was this error:
Code:
fdisk: cannot open /dev/mmcblk0: Input/output error
It seems to me like this is a hardware issue, but I don't know for sure. Is there something I'm missing here?
(02-05-2021, 06:24 PM)bmeinka Wrote: I have a kde ce pinephone, and I am having a problem reading the sd card. I have tried with two different cards with the same results.

The sd card is listed in lsblk, however none of the partitions on the card are listed. I thought that was strange, so I tried to open the device in fdisk, but all I got was this error:
Code:
It seems to me like this is a hardware issue, but I don't know for sure. Is there something I'm missing here?

Just a question because I have seen users do this before (not saying this is the case here but have to ask anyway). Is the sd card in the correct slot? It is a double slot. Top is for the sd and bottom for the sim.

Other questions assuming the above question does not apply:

Are you trying to boot from the sd? (This is what the sd slot is intended for. It is the first boot device)

Are you trying to mount the sd while booted from the EMMC?
View my projects at: https://gitlab.com/users/The3DmaN/projects or at the3dman.gitlab.io you can also find me on Matrix in many of the Pine related channels.
(02-08-2021, 08:56 PM)The3DmaN Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 06:24 PM)bmeinka Wrote: I have a kde ce pinephone, and I am having a problem reading the sd card. I have tried with two different cards with the same results.

Code:

Just a question because I have seen users do this before (not saying this is the case here but have to ask anyway). Is the sd card in the correct slot? It is a double slot. Top is for the sd and bottom for the sim.

Are you trying to boot from the sd? (This is what the sd slot is intended for. It is the first boot device)

It is in the correct slot. I am trying to boot from it, although trying to mount it while booted doesn't work either.

I have already verified that the sd card is not counterfeit and that the flashed image isn't corrupted.
(02-09-2021, 12:38 PM)bmeinka Wrote:

Code:

It is in the correct slot. I am trying to boot from it, although trying to mount it while booted doesn't work either.

I have already verified that the sd card is not counterfeit and that the flashed image isn't corrupted.

Hmm. Which Distro are you trying to boot, and what was your method of imaging the card (dd, Gnome-Disks, Etcher)?
View my projects at: https://gitlab.com/users/The3DmaN/projects or at the3dman.gitlab.io you can also find me on Matrix in many of the Pine related channels.
(02-09-2021, 01:09 PM)The3DmaN Wrote:

Code:

Hmm. Which Distro are you trying to boot, and what was your method of imaging the card (dd, Gnome-Disks, Etcher)?
I have tried:
  • Arch Linux ARM
  • Jumpdrive
  • Ubuntu Touch
  • PostmarketOS edge and stable

I started off using dd, but switched to etcher after a few failed attempts to boot in hopes I was flashing the sd cards wrong. Got the same results either way.
(02-09-2021, 03:11 PM)bmeinka Wrote:

Code:

I have tried:
  • Arch Linux ARM
  • Jumpdrive
  • Ubuntu Touch

I started off using dd, but switched to etcher after a few failed attempts to boot in hopes I was flashing the sd cards wrong. Got the same results either way.

Sounds like maybe it is not software and could be hardware related as you suggested earlier. Etcher should work fine for that, and if its in the correct slot and not a bad sd card, I am not sure what else it could be. Maybe put a support ticket in and see if there are any other suggestions from them.
(02-09-2021, 03:20 PM)The3DmaN Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 03:11 PM)bmeinka Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 08:56 PM)The3DmaN Wrote: Just a question because I have seen users do this before (not saying this is the case here but have to ask anyway). Is the sd card in the correct slot? It is a double slot. Top is for the sd and bottom for the sim.

I have tried:
  • Arch Linux ARM
  • Jumpdrive
  • Ubuntu Touch

Sounds like maybe it is not software and could be hardware related as you suggested earlier. Etcher should work fine for that, and if its in the correct slot and not a bad sd card, I am not sure what else it could be. Maybe put a support ticket in and see if there are any other suggestions from them.
Thank you for your time. I have contacted support.
Dump question, but when you say "I have already verified that the sd card is not counterfeit", does that mean that you tried it on an other device ? It could just be a dead SD card maybe.
Maybe you should also try an other SD card.
(02-10-2021, 12:55 AM)Alfiory Wrote: Dump question, but when you say "I have already verified that the sd card is not counterfeit", does that mean that you tried it on an other device ? It could just be a dead SD card maybe.
Maybe you should also try an other SD card.
I tried them on a raspberry pi 2 with raspbian and it booted fine. I have tried with two different sd cards.
Yes so more likely to be a problem of the PinePhone. ^^

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 172 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 792 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  SD Card has wrong capacity AndyM 11 2,127 06-11-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  Device Unable To Read MicroSD Card _radv_ 19 5,686 02-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: _radv_
  SIM Card Slot Terror thismarty 4 1,364 12-21-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: thismarty
  MicroSD Card Reuse _radv_ 5 1,873 12-12-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: chainingsolid
  Pine Phone Doesn't Recognize New MicroSD Card _radv_ 3 1,309 11-23-2022, 05:19 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  SIM Card Install pineme 4 4,995 06-10-2022, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Won't boot - Failed to read Who-Am-I register nocargo 6 5,295 04-30-2022, 06:11 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  SIM card slot not working dekrets 2 2,101 02-12-2022, 11:09 AM
Last Post: dekrets