Fedora + Phosh for PinePhone
(12-05-2020, 06:47 AM)Juergen Wrote: I've tested for a longer time. Most of the time the resume process / wake up of the cellular connection took too much time, more than 30s. Sometimes the call is rejected after 2 dial tones without ringtone. Calls from my "Fritzphone" have to be refused several times.

Similar behaviour like in Arch Linux.

Yes, we are very much aware of this problem, which also exists on other distros. No one have found the real cure for this yet, but lets hope this happens soon.

Quote:Perhaps this new project of Ondrej will help: https://xnux.eu/log/#028

In my opinion - open-source code for the modem will be an huge advantage
and will hopefully help to solve the suspend/resume problems.

As you most likely know - we have been using his kernel and drivers since our first image.
We are tracking all his great work, and are implementing it in our image as fast as possible, so stay asure that we will follow and test this next project of his closely :-)
(10-07-2020, 04:19 PM)Alho Wrote: We do have our own build with Phosh - but you can easily add Gnome (aka Fedora workstation) or KDE-Desktop or XFCE to it,
and choose during boot (Lomiri is on the way too). Gnome actually has more features working (like auto screen rotation).

Yes, gnome shell seems to be play much nicer - just needs a better keyboard and a simple way to adjust the icon grid/size.

(01-07-2021, 03:31 PM)nas Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 04:19 PM)Alho Wrote: We do have our own build with Phosh - but you can easily add Gnome (aka Fedora workstation) or KDE-Desktop or XFCE to it,
and choose during boot (Lomiri is on the way too). Gnome actually has more features working (like auto screen rotation).

Yes, gnome shell seems to be play much nicer - just needs a better keyboard and a simple way to adjust the icon grid/size.

I have made a test Workstation image with Gnome and Phosh, that uses Pboot with its GUI boot manager.

Feel free to test it, if you dare :-)

http://www9.warpspeed.dk/Phosh-Workstation-1.img.xz
(01-07-2021, 06:04 PM)Alho Wrote: I have made a test Workstation image with Gnome and Phosh, that uses Pboot with its GUI boot manager.

Dare accepted :-p but what is the unlock pin number? 

Edit: Figured out the pin is 1111

Same as mobian+lightdm, had to remove the below file to get wayland session working:

Code:
cd /usr/share/xsessions
sudo mv gnome.desktop gnome.desktop.bak

Seems a file indexing service runs on first boot which locks things up for a while. Subsequently, packagekit, chatty & systemd-coredump appear to be constantly running on each reboot (stopped with systemctl disable and pkill). Still very usable though.
nas
(01-07-2021, 06:04 PM)Alho Wrote: I have made a test Workstation image with Gnome and Phosh, that uses Pboot with its GUI boot manager.

Dare accepted :-p

Tongue

Code:
cd /usr/share/xsessions
sudo mv gnome.desktop gnome.desktop.bak

> Seems a file indexing service runs on first boot which locks things up for a while. Subsequently, packagekit, chatty & systemd-coredump appear to be
> constantly running on each reboot (stopped with systemctl disable and pkill). Still very usable though.

I didn't see that - but yes - It should pull you through the Gnome setup system - and that is extremely slow on the phone.

What I see after setup is that booting to Phosh does make a lot of features work, that didn't before.

This image is only made for testing -- personally I like the pboot boot-loader with selection posibilities --
-- but it is also for figuring out why some things in phosh doesn't work right on our 'normal' Fedora images.
(This image is based off same apps and setup as our normal Fedora image is)

All suggestions welcome.
(01-08-2021, 08:55 PM)Alho Wrote: This image is only made for testing -- personally I like the pboot boot-loader with selection posibilities.

More distros should include pboot or something similar - the option to boot from the emmc without having to remove the sdcard is very handy.

Does this image share the same kernel? The necessary bits for anbox weren't enabled last time I tried to install it.
(12-05-2020, 08:59 PM)Alho Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 06:47 AM)Juergen Wrote: I've tested for a longer time. Most of the time the resume process / wake up of the cellular connection took too much time, more than 30s. Sometimes the call is rejected after 2 dial tones without ringtone. Calls from my "Fritzphone" have to be refused several times.

Yes, we are very much aware of this problem, which also exists on other distros. No one have found the real cure for this yet, but lets hope this happens soon.
I've essentially been limited to a 3 hour battery life for months, because recent kernels broke the ability to resume from suspend, and older kernels have issues with the newer modem firmware. There's no good fix to get suspend working without the modem getting messed up right now?
(01-10-2021, 02:58 PM)nas Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 08:55 PM)Alho Wrote: This image is only made for testing -- personally I like the pboot boot-loader with selection posibilities.

More distros should include pboot or something similar - the option to boot from the emmc without having to remove the sdcard is very handy.

Does this image share the same kernel? The necessary bits for anbox weren't enabled last time I tried to install it.

It uses same megi kernel - but it is packaged a bit differently due to the use of pboot, that needs some updating with every new kernel.

(01-11-2021, 10:31 AM)Subsentient Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 08:59 PM)Alho Wrote:

I've essentially been limited to a 3 hour battery life for months, because recent kernels broke the ability to resume from suspend, and older kernels have issues with the newer modem firmware. There's no good fix to get suspend working without the modem getting messed up right now?

I'm not aware of any kernel problems waking up from suspend with our images - but yes, if it is being waked by an incoming call, then we will loose it, and it will reject the call. A work around might be to make your voice-mail announce to people calling, that they should always try an extra time :-)
I've not seen the modem as 'messed up' after wake up - it is just getting reset.
Hello all

I recently installed the latest image on my UBPorts CE phone. It seems to be working ok, although the camera doesn't respond at all.

When I was using fedora this summer, there was an option on the phosh login screen to select phosh or gnome-shell, and I can't seem to do that anymore. Does anyone know how to re enable that? I tried dnf install gnome-desktop and dnf install mate-desktop (in case there was some multiple desktops trigger that having more than one would make the phone notice) but neither worked.

Thanks and sorry if I don't know what I'm doing, in the rest of my Linux life I'm MATE on Debian, so this ecosystem is unfamiliar. That said this project has helped me get the most use out of my pinephone so it's what I'm most interested in
(02-03-2021, 07:15 AM)dawg161 Wrote: When I was using fedora this summer, there was an option on the phosh login screen to select phosh or gnome-shell, and I can't seem to do that anymore. Does anyone know how to re enable that?

You need a display manager, eg lightdm or gdm.

Something like below but maybe lightdm.conf needs an entry for the greeter... I can't remember all the steps so try gdm first.

dnf install gdm (or dnf install lightdm lightdm-gtk)
systemctl disable phosh
reboot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,340 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 278 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,156 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,937 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,710 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,937 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,758 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 814 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,837 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,109 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega