PinePhone won't boot
Hi MonCon,

Thanks for the tips! I get to the part with the Jumpdrive screen, but I can't connect to the volumes anymore. Also the Telnet connection doesn't work. I do see very briefly a terminal line that says that something failed, but it goes way to fast to actually read it. I re-flashed the Jumpdrive SD card, but it doesn't help unfortunately.
(11-11-2020, 03:18 AM)martijnv Wrote: Hi MonCon,

Thanks for the tips! I get to the part with the Jumpdrive screen, but I can't connect to the volumes anymore. Also the Telnet connection doesn't work. I do see very briefly a terminal line that says that something failed, but it goes way to fast to actually read it. I re-flashed the Jumpdrive SD card, but it doesn't help unfortunately.

What OS are you using to try and "see" the pinephone? windows or linux?

If it's linux, in a terminal type

sudo dmesg
 or
sudo gparted
There are three versions of jump drive. They are not compatable. Make sure you are using the correct version for your device - 2g pinephone, 3g pinephone, pinetab.
Hi everyone

Thanks for the discussion!

In the meantime I was able to put the Jumpstart image on the SD (https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju...e/releases) and also to put Beta 2 (https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...12.img.xz/) onto the eMMC via dd. However, the PinePhone now seems to try to boot in a loop, when trying to boot from the eMMC. I get the red LED, flashing screen, over and over, but no actual boot (I no longer see the Manjaro logo).

When I look at /ROOT_MNJRO/var/log/ when the phone is in Jumpdrive mode, the directory is empty. I can also find no logs in /BOOT_MNJRO/.

Are the latest Manjaro betas not working on the PinePhone at all?

What do you guys think? Where could I look into next?

Just when I wanted to put the PinePhone aside, it all of a sudden booted! I then wanted to select the language, when it (unfortunately) shut down again. Maybe the build I am using is no good.

It is now booting in a loop. Always until the unlock screen and then all over again.
I got the image from https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...ta2.img.xz
copied to sdcard using dd and upgraded afterwards with no problem.
It could be you suffer from the dram clockspeed problem. Due to part variances, not all the pinephones have been able to handle the highest clock speed. Try stepping back one or two lower and see if it boots stabily. 552 seems stable for most people. Search 'dram clock speed' in the forums.
(11-14-2020, 11:35 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: It could be you suffer from the dram clockspeed problem. Due to part variances, not all the pinephones have been able to handle the highest clock speed. Try stepping back one or two lower and see if it boots stabily. 552 seems stable for most people. Search 'dram clock speed' in the forums.
As far as I remember this is only a problem with earlier images which tried to overclock the system.
(11-14-2020, 06:49 AM)amadeusp81 Wrote: Hi everyone

Thanks for the discussion!

In the meantime I was able to put the Jumpstart image on the SD (https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju...e/releases) and also to put Beta 2 (https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...12.img.xz/) onto the eMMC via dd. However, the PinePhone now seems to try to boot in a loop, when trying to boot from the eMMC. I get the red LED, flashing screen, over and over, but no actual boot (I no longer see the Manjaro logo).

When I look at /ROOT_MNJRO/var/log/ when the phone is in Jumpdrive mode, the directory is empty. I can also find no logs in /BOOT_MNJRO/.

Are the latest Manjaro betas not working on the PinePhone at all?

What do you guys think? Where could I look into next?

Just when I wanted to put the PinePhone aside, it all of a sudden booted! I then wanted to select the language, when it (unfortunately) shut down again. Maybe the build I am using is no good.

It is now booting in a loop. Always until the unlock screen and then all over again.

Suggest you try another operating system,  your existing install could be faulty, but also possible the distro has a beta problem. ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Hi all,

I obtained my PinePhone yesterday. It also didn't boot and that's how I ended up on the forum and this thread.

Meanwhile it is working. TL;DR: my phone does not boot if no SD card with a boot image is inserted. Now running Mobian.

More details: after initially consistently failing to boot the device I created an SD card with the Manjaro Beta 2 version. The phone booted from it and I played with Manjaro for some hours. The beta 2 version is quite unstable. Several apps frequently froze (e. g. Firefox on advanced Web sites) and I had to reboot, sometimes also perform a hardware reset. The boot time was 2 min at least. There is an initial flash of the red LED, a brief backlighting of the screen and then it goes dark for a long time. - I had a look around and saw many users with positive impressions of Mobian. Thus I created an SD card with Mobian:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_S...ses#Mobian
Mobian has a similar user interface as Manjaro but it "feels" much better. Boot time is faster, 1 vs. 2 min. Scrolling on pages is more fluid. In two hours of playing I didn't experience a single freeze. There are more apps. Particularly Chromium is a good browser. There was a problem with Manjaro throughout all apps: the "Open file" dialog was outside of the screen. This bug is not present on Mobian. I like the Mobian package administration which I run on the command line. Adding Nextcloud as an online account I can sync contacts with my Nextcloud server.

On my "to do" list:
  • Find a way to do a screenshot. I have tried three apps and none of them work.
  • Set up SSH.
  • Test phone function.
Tidbits:
  • As a charger I use the one for a Samsung S8.
  • SD card is Samsung 128 GB EVO.
  • For file transfer I had successfully used Filezilla on Manjaro.
Good luck everybody.
(11-14-2020, 10:36 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: I got the image from https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...ta2.img.xz
copied to sdcard using dd and upgraded afterwards with no problem.

I tried this image too and had the same issues as with the other images I tried so far.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,179 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,943 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,481 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,610 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,671 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma