"Oh no, Something has gone wrong, Logout"
alright so my phone was in its box for a month while I focused on other things.. Now I ran a whole apt upgrade, fixed some broken packages (hopefully fixed), and rebooted my pinephone only to be greeted with no boot splash screen, no lock screen, just  blank. When I press the power button to turn the screen on, instead of the lock screen I see a sad face and a message:

"Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and the system can't revoer. Please log out and try again"

Pressing the log out button however blanks the screen again and no other user interaction can bring anything on the screen.

Thankfully I still have ssh access...
I don´t think that it´s a good idea to update after a month. You probably should reinstall instead. System is changing rapidly atm.
(10-20-2020, 03:21 AM)Veraendert Wrote: I don´t think that it´s a good idea to update after a month. You probably should reinstall instead. System is changing rapidly atm.

As annoying as that is, it's probably true. At least it still boots and has network connectivity... I'll just need to backup my homedir I suppose.

What worries me though is that I installed a fresh Manjaro phosh beta1 on an sdcard and I had the same error message from Phosh, making it unusable.. And that definitely was a fresh install. Hoping it's not a new bug in Phosh that is popping up now.

Anyway I'll report back once I've had a chance to install fresh...
I've regularly updated my Braveheart after weeks of non-use and haven't encountered this issue.

This part of your post concerns me:

(10-19-2020, 11:10 PM)pajux Wrote: fixed some broken packages (hopefully fixed)

I suspect this is the cause of your problem.
  • Which packages were 'broken'?
  • Which repositories were you using?
Rolling release distributions are fallible, but I don't believe that failure to update regularly is the cause.

At the risk of being labelled an elitist, Manjaro isn't a good target to evaluate stability on. Try reinstalling the Mobian rootfs and let us know how it goes.
(10-20-2020, 06:37 AM)jed Wrote: I've regularly updated my Braveheart after weeks of non-use and haven't encountered this issue.

This part of your post concerns me:

(10-19-2020, 11:10 PM)pajux Wrote: fixed some broken packages (hopefully fixed)

I suspect this is the cause of your problem.
  • Which packages were 'broken'?
  • Which repositories were you using?
Rolling release distributions are fallible, but I don't believe that failure to update regularly is the cause.

At the risk of being labelled an elitist, Manjaro isn't a good target to evaluate stability on. Try reinstalling the Mobian rootfs and let us know how it goes.

Good points, and I wasn't evaluating stability, rather explaining I saw the same error on both.

Meanwhile, I got Manjaro running on a newer release (because it downloaded faster than Mobian yesterday..) and was able to get it in a usable state, so next up will be Mobian.

And while I didn't note every package that was broken wrt Mobian, I can remember off the top of my head
 - pinephone-support  (some dependency was refusing to upgrade or install), which probably might explain some of the issues I encountered afterwards...
 - gnome-authenticator (some dependency was changed from python3-yoyo-migrations to python3-yoyo , and the migrations package was refusing to uninstall)

Eventually I uninstalled them and their troublesome deps and reinstalled the packages and their deps, successfully.

What repos was I using? Whatever default repos Mobian uses..

in either case, can't troubleshoot that further since the emmc has been reflashed already, all I can do now is reflash Mobian Smile
PS: same error about something having gone wrong, when booting a freshly-flashed Mobian nightly (20201020). However after a few moments the setup app starts up anyway.

The setup app is not scaled or sized properly though so I can't reach the top-right or bottom buttons...

Off to download the 20201005 release then.

That one seems to be working better!
(10-20-2020, 08:37 PM)pajux Wrote: PS: same error about something having gone wrong, when booting a freshly-flashed Mobian nightly (20201020). However after a few moments the setup app starts up anyway.

The setup app is not scaled or sized properly though so I can't reach the top-right or bottom buttons...

One confusing fact is that the boot process doesn't always clear the display buffer immediately therefore most distros show whatever was last on the screen for a second of so as part of the boot process. i.e if you boot into mobian you may see the remains of a ubuntu touch splash screen or vice versa. I don't know if that's happening in your case, but always worth remembering.
(10-20-2020, 09:37 PM)pjsf Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 08:37 PM)pajux Wrote: PS: same error about something having gone wrong, when booting a freshly-flashed Mobian nightly (20201020). However after a few moments the setup app starts up anyway.

One confusing fact is that the boot process doesn't always clear the display buffer immediately therefore most distros show whatever was last on the screen for a second of so as part of the boot process. i.e if you boot into mobian you may see the remains of a ubuntu touch splash screen or vice versa. I don't know if that's happening in your case, but always worth remembering.

That might be what happened, anyway I'm back on 20201005 and it's working flawlessly so far aside from the usual expected work-in-progress items  Big Grin
I spoke too soon anyway, even after a fresh flash of 20201028 (or any other day, I tried a few this month), the first boot or two works fine, after that though I get the same message.

Will confirm if that happens only after I update the software or not..

Definitely there were no broken packages or updates this time around though..
Fresh flash 20201030, happening still. Not every time I boot. A restart is fine often, but a full shutdown and start sometimes leads to this, sometimes leads to normal Phosh.

finally was able to get ssh up and running and decided to check the status of Phosh..

Quote:Oct 30 20:59:24 eyes systemd[1]: Started Phosh, a shell for mobile phones.
Oct 30 20:59:24 eyes systemd[1512]: pam_unix(loginConfusedession): session opened for user mobian by (uid=0)
Oct 30 20:59:33 eyes phosh[1946]: The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
Oct 30 20:59:33 eyes phosh[1946]: > Warning: Unsupported maximum keycode 569, clipping.
Oct 30 20:59:33 eyes phosh[1946]: > X11 cannot support keycodes above 255.
Oct 30 20:59:33 eyes phosh[1946]: > Internal error: Could not resolve keysym Invalid
Oct 30 20:59:33 eyes phosh[1946]: Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

Looks like Phosh had issues starting up.

No I do not have gdm3 installed and am not trying to run other environments. This is a fresh flash of Mobian, with wifi, mobile network configured, as well as openssh-server installed.

Another symptom is that when this happens, I do not see the Mobian boot splash, so it's easy to predict that Phosh will fail to start.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time is wrong after reboots stucked at 27th august user641 2 1,220 09-08-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: user641
  22 July 2116 -- wrong Date & Time Anna 7 5,878 07-30-2021, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Axolotl on Mobian. What am I doing wrong? quixote 3 2,722 05-11-2021, 06:09 PM
Last Post: quixote
  Wrong location / place by GPS - Location Services - GNSS - Maps Anna 17 11,227 03-22-2021, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Maus
  What am I doing wrong with Geary ? wi_badger 3 5,575 09-16-2020, 06:34 AM
Last Post: m.alizade7