Mint Mobile & Pine Phone
I received my SIM card from Mint Mobile SIM card today. (based upon the IMEI number on the Pine Phone it showed this carrier would work).  I activated the SIM card online with a new cell number and rebooted the phone.  The carrier didn't show up so went into the carrier preferences and the Pine Phone is showing the Mint card as an option.  I click on it and then back out of the sim preferences but that screen shows "No Carrier."  I've done this numerous times with the same results.  There is also the option to to use the "Automatic" for the carrier, but with the same results when you back out to the prior screen "No carrier."  Since there isn't a save option in the carrier select area I guess it does a save automatically?  Is anyone else using Mint Mobile and if so how did you get it to work?
You have to input the APN settings for the carrier, (if you have tryed putting stuff in APN settings before, recommend clearing all)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_Point_Name

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh..._.28USA.29

Case-sensitive, name isnt for your usage.  The omitted fields can be ignored for now, get it working barebones before adding mms stuff(if it will work)

Note the "You may also need to reboot your phone" Itll look like it doesnt save, but on reboot itll be there, from what I have experienced.

This is in case you need extra info after a failed attempt;
https://www.mintmobile.com/setup-for-android/
(07-28-2020, 11:29 PM)reptar Wrote: You have to input the APN settings for the carrier, (if you have tryed putting stuff in APN settings before, recommend clearing all)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_Point_Name

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh..._.28USA.29

Case-sensitive, name isnt for your usage.  The omitted fields can be ignored for now, get it working barebones before adding mms stuff(if it will work)

Note the "You may also need to reboot your phone" Itll look like it doesnt save, but on reboot itll be there, from what I have experienced.

This is in case you need extra info after a failed attempt;
https://www.mintmobile.com/setup-for-android/
Thanks, that info was helpful, but I noticed on the Pine64 APN data entry screen there isn't an area for the port info, in this case for Mint Mobile it is 8080.
An update to help others out:  On 8/1/2020 my wife and I had to go to a bigger city in Tennessee (I live in the boonies of NW Tennessee) so I decided to take the Pine 64 with me to see if just maybe it would connect to the Mint (T-Mobile) cell towers and within 15 seconds it was connect with a full 4 bars.  So much for the Mint website telling me I had good coverage in my area.  So, I tried to call my iPhone X and nothing.  I tried having my iPhone call the P64 and it rang through, but very low volume and very scratchy sounding too.  What was interesting was I sent my wife a test text and it went through, be she couldn't respond back. So, I'm making progress and I called Mint Mobile who will refund my money as I had a 7 days test run after paying for 3 months.  Apparently I need to find a Verizon type plan like Mint as I have very good coverage in my area from my Straight Talk plan, but I don't want to pay that much.  Too bad because I was very hopeful with the Mint plan working.
(08-01-2020, 05:44 PM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote: An update to help others out:  On 8/1/2020 my wife and I had to go to a bigger city in Tennessee (I live in the boonies of NW Tennessee) so I decided to take the Pine 64 with me to see if just maybe it would connect to the Mint (T-Mobile) cell towers and within 15 seconds it was connect with a full 4 bars.  So much for the Mint website telling me I had good coverage in my area.  So, I tried to call my iPhone X and nothing.  I tried having my iPhone call the P64 and it rang through, but very low volume and very scratchy sounding too.  What was interesting was I sent my wife a test text and it went through, be she couldn't respond back. So, I'm making progress and I called Mint Mobile who will refund my money as I had a 7 days test run after paying for 3 months.  Apparently I need to find a Verizon type plan like Mint as I have very good coverage in my area from my Straight Talk plan, but I don't want to pay that much.  Too bad because I was very hopeful with the Mint plan working.
08/03/2020 I just got my Mint SIM and set it up on UBports CE. Added the APN information for Mint and connected to their network. I am able to send and receive calls but no sound at all on my end or on the receiver's end. I am also able to send and receive texts. I do not see any sound settings specifically for call volume in the UBports setting app.

The volume side rockers do not seem to work when I am using the Mobian distro on a SD card but at least I am able to make and receive calls using my T-Mobile SIM. On Mint and Mobian, I am able to make and receive both calls and texts although the sound quality sounds a little hollow. I did not have to input any of Mint's APN settings when using Mobian but I do not know if there is any carry over of information from the UBport's settings.
PinePhone UBports CE and Mobian on SD, Mint Mobile, Pinebook Pro Manjaro
(08-03-2020, 03:59 PM)klick Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 05:44 PM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote: An update to help others out:  On 8/1/2020 my wife and I had to go to a bigger city in Tennessee (I live in the boonies of NW Tennessee) so I decided to take the Pine 64 with me to see if just maybe it would connect to the Mint (T-Mobile) cell towers and within 15 seconds it was connect with a full 4 bars.  So much for the Mint website telling me I had good coverage in my area.  So, I tried to call my iPhone X and nothing.  I tried having my iPhone call the P64 and it rang through, but very low volume and very scratchy sounding too.  What was interesting was I sent my wife a test text and it went through, be she couldn't respond back. So, I'm making progress and I called Mint Mobile who will refund my money as I had a 7 days test run after paying for 3 months.  Apparently I need to find a Verizon type plan like Mint as I have very good coverage in my area from my Straight Talk plan, but I don't want to pay that much.  Too bad because I was very hopeful with the Mint plan working.
08/03/2020 I just got my Mint SIM and set it up on UBports CE. Added the APN information for Mint and connected to their network. I am able to send and receive calls but no sound at all on my end or on the receiver's end. I am also able to send and receive texts. I do not see any sound settings specifically for call volume in the UBports setting app.

The volume side rockers do not seem to work when I am using the Mobian distro on a SD card but at least I am able to make and receive calls using my T-Mobile SIM. On Mint and Mobian, I am able to make and receive both calls and texts although the sound quality sounds a little hollow. I did not have to input any of Mint's APN settings when using Mobian but I do not know if there is any carry over of information from the UBport's settings.
Fix for no audio in ubports calls, camera (requires script and latest dev build), and vol rockers in mobian are coming. Give it a little time to get upstream  UvolMan in ubports open store gives you better control over volume settings.
(08-04-2020, 11:32 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

Fix for no audio in ubports calls, camera (requires script and latest dev build), and vol rockers in mobian are coming. Give it a little time to get upstream  UvolMan in ubports open store gives you better control over volume settings.
Thank you for the help! Yesterday when I checked for UBports updates it did not show any available but I just now updated from 120 to 124. The Morph browser is working again. I can send and receive texts but calls fail on UBports but work in Mobian. What script were you referring to for the calls and camera?
(08-04-2020, 01:34 PM)klick Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 11:32 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

Thank you for the help! Yesterday when I checked for UBports updates it did not show any available but I just now updated from 120 to 124. The Morph browser is working again. I can send and receive texts but calls fail on UBports but work in Mobian. What script were you referring to for the calls and camera?
In this thread https://t.me/utonpine
an Update to the update. Sooooo Mint Mobile is a no go as there isn't coverage in my area so I ordered a US Mobile SIM card to try free for 14 days, AND, no coverage in my area either. I have to drive about 8 miles, same as with the Mint Mobile to get any cell towers, yet when I put the SIM in my iPhone X, I have coverage, 3 LTE bars to be exact.. Also, as with the Mint, I can receive texts and phone calls, but you can't hear with US Mobile. I can't call out nor send texts with the Pine 64 though. I guess the key to receiving the cell coverage will come in time with updates. I hope. I just wanted to help those who might be considering Mint Mobile or US Mobile. If the coverage by the carries or reception by the phone ever improves, I will be going back to Mint Mobile as they have the best prices. In the meantime, I'll get a refund from US Mobile like I did from Mint.
(08-12-2020, 06:37 PM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote: an Update to the uUdate.  Sooooo Mint Mobile is a no go as there isn't coverage in my area so I ordered a US Mobile SIM card to try free for 14 days, AND, no coverage in my area either.  I have to drive about 8 miles, same as with the Mint Mobile to get any cell towers, yet when I put the SIM in my iPhone X, I have  coverage,  3 LTE bars to be exact..  Also, as with the Mint, I can receive texts and phone calls, but you can't hear with US Mobile.  I can't call out nor send texts with the Pine 64 though.  I guess the key to receiving the cell coverage will come in time with updates. I hope.  I just wanted to help those who might be considering Mint Mobile or US Mobile.  If the coverage by the carries or reception by the phone ever improves, I will be going back to Mint Mobile as they have the best prices.  In the meantime, I'll get a refund from US Mobile like I did from Mint.
Mint Mobile still not working for me on UBports CE either. I have the same issue, I can receive phone calls but not make them but I can both send and receive texts. I have been switching back and forth between Mobian and UBports for updates but mostly running Mobian on an SD card now. On Mobian, ingoing and outgoing calls and texts both work for me on Mint but the browser experience is not as good as UBports Morph. 

I did make an inquiry on the UBports Telegram about the issue and they replied that it may be because UBports uses a different dialer than Mobian. Ubports uses ofono and Mobian uses modem manager. And since the phone is still developmental, what works on one may not necessarily work on another. Hopefully an update in the ofono dialer is all that is needed to fix the connectivity issue but I do not know how complex the work involved would be or whether it is even on UBports radar since plenty of people are able to make and receive calls already.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  E-mail on the pine phone thorensjubilee 4 2,177 02-05-2023, 04:57 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  How to answer a call on a sleeping phone Athansor 1 2,009 10-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Last Post: lacriz
  Screen-off = dead phone okgo 11 9,322 09-27-2021, 07:53 PM
Last Post: jtn0514
  Making phone calls PinePhoneCoder 7 9,908 03-23-2021, 06:33 AM
Last Post: israel
  Is UT in PinePhone same thing than in another phone? natasha 23 23,765 08-24-2020, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Cree
  A hint for getting mobile data. Cree 0 2,006 07-30-2020, 10:36 AM
  Mobile data APN Cree 0 2,063 07-27-2020, 11:47 PM
  Unable to make a phone call bingo600 4 6,817 07-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Last Post: israel
  New Pine Phone User LinuxBrave 2 3,496 07-21-2020, 05:43 PM
Last Post: natasha
  Problems with Phone Calls TitanToast 0 2,011 06-25-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: TitanToast