Need to install 64-bit Ubuntu
Anyone successfully install a 64-bit Ubuntu distro on a Pinebook Pro?
I've got it running on my RockPro 64, but can't find any distribution that works on the PineBook Pro. Has to be 64-bit Ubuntu because I need to run the Swift 5.x development suite on it (which is working fine on my RockPro).
(06-18-2020, 02:59 PM)rhyde Wrote: Anyone successfully install a 64-bit Ubuntu distro on a Pinebook Pro?
I've got it running on my RockPro 64, but can't find any distribution that works on the PineBook Pro. Has to be 64-bit Ubuntu because I need to run the Swift 5.x development suite on it (which is working fine on my RockPro).
Jump to danielt's unofficial Debian Installer thread with an installer for correctly debootstrap of 64-bit. His installer - on git - works for 64/32, Buster/Bullseye/Sid - depending on tweaks to the script files, and even allows for encrypted LUKS rootfs.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8487

Also, xmixahlx has a number of post-install enhancements/updates/etc for the danielT unofficial Debian Installer on his scripts page: pinebook pro tools. He's done work to make almost trivial, the compilation of latest kernels and MESA/GL updates, various HW acceleration, etc.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10190
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
(06-18-2020, 06:06 PM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote: Jump to danielt's unofficial Debian Installer thread with an installer for correctly debootstrap of 64-bit. His installer - on git - works for 64/32, Buster/Bullseye/Sid - depending on tweaks to the script files, and even allows for encrypted LUKS rootfs.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8487

Also, xmixahlx has a number of post-install enhancements/updates/etc for the danielT unofficial Debian Installer on his scripts page: pinebook pro tools. He's done work to make almost trivial, the compilation of latest kernels and MESA/GL updates, various HW acceleration, etc.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10190

Thanks, that helps.
Though, for what it's worth, I was able to install Swift 5 for AARCH under Manjaro (was designed for Ubuntu 18.xx). Had to locate some static libraries (copied them over from my RockPro64 machines), but Swift has managed to compile "Hello, World!" so I'm happy for the time being.
I'm working on a book ("An Introduction to Programming Using Swift") and I was making sure all the samples compiled on macOS, Windows, Linux (x86), Raspberry Pi, and RockPro64. Just wanted to add the PineBook Pro to the list (might actually go back and see if I can get Swift running on my old PineBook at this point--I'd given up on that a while back).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
I wrote up a mostly step by step tutorial for the Ubuntu Focal (20.04) install process with 5.7 kernel and such.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10279

It's a pure 64-bit install, but you can easily create a 32-bit chroot to test 32-bit software in there as well. I've got a 32-bit Ubuntu install for media browsers (Spotify and crew - the DRM modules for ARM are 32-bit only).

For testing, though, there's really no reason to put the install on the eMMC. Just use the install on the SD card - update the kernel if you want, but you should be ~fine once you boot from the SD card with the image on it (I think it's a 5.6 kernel without all the hardware acceleration, but that's fine for testing builds).
(06-20-2020, 05:05 PM)Syonyk Wrote: I wrote up a mostly step by step tutorial for the Ubuntu Focal (20.04) install process with 5.7 kernel and such.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10279

It's a pure 64-bit install, but you can easily create a 32-bit chroot to test 32-bit software in there as well.  I've got a 32-bit Ubuntu install for media browsers (Spotify and crew - the DRM modules for ARM are 32-bit only).

For testing, though, there's really no reason to put the install on the eMMC.  Just use the install on the SD card - update the kernel if you want, but you should be ~fine once you boot from the SD card with the image on it (I think it's a 5.6 kernel without all the hardware acceleration, but that's fine for testing builds).
Yeah, I tried installing that version already (on SD Card). I created the SD Card using Etcher on macOS. When I attempt to boot off the card the screen goes black and nothing ever happens (even after several minutes). Power LED switched from orange to green and the screen flashed for a brief moment. But that was it.

Oh well, as I said I got Swift working on Manjaro, which is what I needed Ubuntu for; so I'm good.
Perhaps at some point in the future I'll revisit this. I really prefer Ubuntu and Debian distributions (and the apt-style updates and package management).
I've never been able to get Etcher to write out a PBP uSD image. I just dd to the proper rdisk device. You might try that and see if it makes a difference, though if you've got it working for what you need, no point in messing around.

I agree about Debian package styles, though.
(06-20-2020, 06:25 PM)Syonyk Wrote: I've never been able to get Etcher to write out a PBP uSD image.  I just dd to the proper rdisk device.  You might try that and see if it makes a difference, though if you've got it working for what you need, no point in messing around.

I agree about Debian package styles, though.
Good thing to know.
I dd'd the card and now I can boot.
Thanks for the info.

(06-20-2020, 07:44 PM)rhyde Wrote: I dd'd the card and now I can boot.
Thanks for the info.
Installed Swift5.
Wrote, compiled, and ran Hello World
Smile on my face.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 1,668 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Followed the blog post to install Fedora: PBP not booting anymore koenigs 6 1,736 06-01-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Use SD to install new OS over pinebook debian Rudy558 9 10,417 09-25-2022, 01:19 AM
Last Post: jackwilson
  MiniConda Install Issues nixyhustle 0 740 09-16-2022, 10:06 PM
Last Post: nixyhustle
  Does anyone know how to install levinsboot on pbp? computerc 0 583 09-05-2022, 03:52 PM
Last Post: computerc
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,364 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  microsoft teams install problem jip 3 3,801 02-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Last Post: pagesix1536
  Install postgres motezart 5 8,433 10-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Last Post: wdt
  help on setting up debian (or ubuntu) on micro sd card pine76 2 8,683 09-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Graphics issue on ubuntu bionic das 0 1,654 08-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Last Post: das