Gnome 3 on PMOS
Smile 
Following these instructions:

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Gnome_Setup

I managed to install Gnome 3 on PMOS. From what I can see, it looks good and might work. My problem is that the Wiki does not give me the default password for "Linux User" (this is what the login screen presents me with). Does anyone know what that might be?

I would love to see Gnome running.
"Linux user" just means the user has no proper display name set. That user it's talking about is the user and password you told pmbootstrap to make when creating the image for your device. In case you use the pre-built images, the user would be "demo" and the default password "147147", but you would already know this if you read the page where you downloaded that image from.
(02-22-2020, 07:55 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: "Linux user" just means the user has no proper display name set. That user it's talking about is the user and password you told pmbootstrap to make when creating the image for your device. In case you use the pre-built images, the user would be "demo" and the default password "147147", but you would already know this if you read the page where you downloaded that image from.

I know, the common username/password combinations for PMOS are listed here:

https://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone/

But when I start Gnome with

Code:
rc-service gdm start

I get a Gnome login screen with "Linux User" suggested. No password I can think of works (such as "gnome" or "password" etc.). If I click on "Not listed?" and enter "demo" and "147147" or "demo" and "demo", it does not log me in either.

.jpg   DSCN3885.JPG (Size: 80.13 KB / Downloads: 430)

What I like about the login screen is that it makes much better use of the existing space, the status bar is smaller, the keyboard as well. Hope that goes for the whole Gnome experience.
OK, an older version of the Wiki page gave me the clue. I used:

Code:
sudo adduser tester

and gave the new user the password "tester". (No need for security yet, we are really just testing).

It worked and I am totally blown away!!!

Look at this application screen (these are apps I installed myself before, they do not come with Gnome):

.jpg   DSCN3886.JPG (Size: 71.2 KB / Downloads: 478)

And this is LibreOffice Writer:

.jpg   DSCN3887.JPG (Size: 31.67 KB / Downloads: 450)

Obviously, the next thing I am going to order is a fine tip stylus such as this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Apple-iPa...SwAHFd71Tk

because my fat fingers won't be able to hit those tiny buttons.

But here we go, this is already pretty close to a full fledged pocket computer.

The testing continues...
Here is some more feedback:

I still have to get my head round the different logins:
At the moment, I am booting into Phosh as user "demo" with password "147147". Then I start Gnome from the terminal and am asked to log in again. The details above do not work, neither does any of the given "Linux Users"  (I now have 2 since I created a new user "tester".).

The only way to log into Gnome is to click "not listed" and manually enter username "tester" and password "tester". However, this also means that anything I created as "demo" under Phosh (i.e. files, user settings etc.) is no longer available.

I am also not able to set "Auto Login" for the reasons above.

Not really a problem, but it shows that there are different strtategies involved.

What I really like is the navigation under Gnome. In the top left corner, you have a status bar entry called "Activities". This brings up a "Favourites" bar on the left-hand side with your designated favourite apps and also a button that brings up all apps in a grid (similar to a "normal" mobile phone). Otherwise, you can see a minimised view of your open apps.

On the right-hand side, you can have several workspaces, like on a Linux desktop. This is quite handy.

Next to the "Activities" button at the top, you have a second button relating to the app that is currently in focus. The most useful entry here is "Quit" since your app windows do not have an X button to close them.

I mentioned before that Gnome makes much better use of the available screen space than Phosh and Plasma. It depends on your eyesight, though. Some people may find the writing a bit small. Currently, there is no extensive way to tweak the screen elements, but it helps to select "Large Font" under "Accessibility".

If a window does run off the edge of your screen, you can simply grab and drag it into view, just like you would do on your PC.

A long tap on your screen will even bring up a mouse cursor!

In Settings, you can change the screen orientation, but Landscape does not work very well.

Most other things are working just like under Phosh. At first, my Wifi did not seem to be live, but then it suddenly started to work. I still have to do the manual steps to get the phone and SMS operational again, but I am sure they will work.

At the moment, I am trying to get an e-mail client to work (Sylpheed or Thunderbird). Here, I have some niggles with text entry fields becoming obscured and sometimes no keyboard coming up, but I am sure I will get there.

Browsing with Firefox is just great. LibreOffice is fine as well. So I am almost set up with my most essential tools.

Oh yes, some file transfer may be great, but as soon as I have e-mail working, I can use that as a workaraound.
If you don't want Phosh anyway, why let it start? Just
Code:
apk del postmarketos-ui-phosh
, make sure GDM starts at boot
Code:
rc-update add gdm
, and reboot the phone. The demo user will then work properly as well.
Wink 
Thanks, I'll try that on a different SD card.

For the time being, I was trusting Phosh and only experimenting with Gnome. But you are right, if Gnome does everything I want, I can make it the default.

Sometimes I wish I had 2 Bravehearts so that I can run them side by side and copy things as I am experimenting.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gnome mobile user641 1 480 01-06-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  NextCloud Gnome Mobile Uturn 4 1,024 12-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Fresh install pmos+phosh does not boot user641 1 429 10-08-2023, 04:04 AM
Last Post: user641
  Software app in postmarket gnome shell Uturn 1 541 09-06-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Boots To Shell After Dead Battery (PMOS) britelite 0 668 02-17-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: britelite
  No Application Data PMOS 21.12.1 Captain1ndustry 4 3,711 08-12-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Gon
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,240 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  gnome-firmware-updater not found (mirrors) wizardry 1 1,356 03-22-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: wizardry
  Application list PMOS-Phosh jmorris 6 5,931 12-04-2021, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Juergen
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,517 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8