Late December Casual Community Update
I got SMS on 8 of January and the PBP is here today (10.01.2020).
So they delivered it in about 44 hours.
(01-07-2020, 03:06 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 03:02 PM)Luke Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 01:57 PM)tophneal Wrote: @Luke We need a twitter-like feed of your shipping updates. Would probably answer most new questions very quickly haha

This is actually something I've been thinking about too to be honest. As much as I understand and appreciate the importance of updating people regularly, doing so on a per-person (almost) basis starts becoming pretty exhausting.

So, then, the question is: where is the right place for such a feed? main page? special 'update webpage'? the forums? twitter/mastodon?  - suggestions and alternative options very welcome (as always).

Heck, go with what's easiest to start. Twitter would likely work well, since Pine already utilizes it, and visitors don't have to have an account to see (most?) posts. (I have no idea how many tweets a guest to a twitter page can view before being blocked by a login/signup. I know I've seen it with trying to view a page's media posts. If they have some kind of pinning/sticky option, that should negate any concern over that.)

IDK, Mastodon seems to be better than Twitter for PINE's target demographic (they're how I found this company), but might be worse for non-technical users.

Either way, since people interested in exact shipping details are likely going to be seeking it out, I think it's sufficient to have it on a webpage like the existing shipping info page at the top of the website.

Maybe something simple that can be automatically updated either live or at regular intervals, like the total backlog size, or the oldest order in the backlog, or something like that.  The counter could be auto-posted to social media by a bot e.x. every 24 hours?
(01-09-2020, 08:45 AM)Lexpionage Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 09:54 PM)LittleWalter Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 03:06 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 03:02 PM)Luke Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 01:57 PM)tophneal Wrote: @Luke We need a twitter-like feed of your shipping updates. Would probably answer most new questions very quickly haha

This is actually something I've been thinking about too to be honest. As much as I understand and appreciate the importance of updating people regularly, doing so on a per-person (almost) basis starts becoming pretty exhausting.

So, then, the question is: where is the right place for such a feed? main page? special 'update webpage'? the forums? twitter/mastodon?  - suggestions and alternative options very welcome (as always).

Heck, go with what's easiest to start. Twitter would likely work well, since Pine already utilizes it, and visitors don't have to have an account to see (most?) posts. (I have no idea how many tweets a guest to a twitter page can view before being blocked by a login/signup. I know I've seen it with trying to view a page's media posts. If they have some kind of pinning/sticky option, that should negate any concern over that.)

Keep in mind that not everyone uses social media, such as myself.  (Gave up most forms of social media long ago, and even borderline ones like reddit, I'm done w/ all of it going forward.)

I'd recommend just doing it mostly on your own Pine64 properties to avoid confusion in the long run, but that's just my opinion.

Exactly, I second that reminder. I have zero social media as well, and many times avoid to even allow their javascript in my browser. The pine forum should be fine. I'm sure you guys can implement something that works great.

It's more work but a simple Django page (or—gasp!—php page) w/ whatever DB backend should be relatively easy to write is what I would think.  But the forum should be fine since that's obviously more work.  But if Twitter is going to be used, have it be a redundancy because I probably won't see it.  I will read or lurk on a Twitter feed or a reddit thread found via a search engine but it's not a guarantee someone like me would see it.

Haven't gotten so extreme to block JS from running entirely but I've gotten tired of the advertisement-run online surveillance companies like Facebook and Google/Alphabet.  Heck, I can't be the only one around these particular parts—it's a small part of the appeal of running Linux-based machines!
I just got my shipping notification today, Kinda Surprising to me to happen on a weekend I ordered end of November super excited to get it.
  (January 11, 2020)  ANSI Pinebook Pro

I got SMS from DHL at 7:01 am on Friday January 10th.

Says it will be delivered "by the end of the day Monday January 13th"

(Was ordered November 9th, 2019)

No complaint,  but, when I ordered my ISO PBP,  (September 2019)
       I got the DHL notice on a Thursday and received my PBP on Friday.

(So no weekend deliveries..)

Waiting eagerly....  I plan on doing the software updates asap
         but it looks to me like there may still be some problems with the ANSI keyboard firmware updates..?
          So I will hold-off on that until those are smoothed out.

Thanks,   Pine64  !

The Debian OS is a favorite for me, however kinda wish it had the Gnome Desktop.
I think the Mate looks to me, like a cross of Gnome and Xfce, Not to bad.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-11-2020, 02:51 PM)bcnaz Wrote: The Debian OS is a favorite for me,  however kinda wish it had the Gnome Desktop.

MATE is a fork of gnome 2
Assuming everyone on the forum is being honest about order date it has become clear that they are 100% not doing shipments in order number. Anyone not from the US got an ANSI kb unit shipped to them? I am in Japan and ordered day one but have gotten nothing.
(01-11-2020, 05:08 PM)evilbunny Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 02:51 PM)bcnaz Wrote: The Debian OS is a favorite for me,  however kinda wish it had the Gnome Desktop.

So I have read, but it doesn't look or feel like it to me.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-12-2020, 06:32 AM)bcnaz Wrote:

I dislike the default skin MATE comes with and use an older one. Have you tried finding a different theme?
(01-12-2020, 06:35 AM)evilbunny Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 06:32 AM)bcnaz Wrote:

I dislike the default skin MATE comes with and use an older one. Have you tried finding a different theme?

No I have not yet,   I am still mostly OEM Debian/Mate on this ISO PBP

I  don't really have a strong dislike for the Mate Desktop, But over the years I have used Gnome
    on every version of Linux that I have kept installed,  it just feels like 'Home'

I have tried a few different Desktops occasions.

I did even install Debian/Mate on one of my old spare Dell laptops, just to compare with my PBP.

(My new ANSI PBP is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New community website! Luke 3 2,217 10-19-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Shipping Update and Stock Availability Thread Luke 87 89,945 03-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: maos
  PinePhone Keyboard update [April 24/04] Luke 73 108,317 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: kat22
  PinePhone community poll results Luke 2 3,786 02-01-2022, 04:03 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  October update follow-up Luke 0 2,581 10-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Luke
  PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread Luke 136 167,398 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM
  PinePhone Mobian CE shipping update thread Luke 59 81,075 04-25-2021, 12:57 PM
  PinePhone KDE Community Edition shipping update thread. Luke 135 177,032 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Video February Community Update Video Synopsis Luke 0 2,936 02-19-2021, 08:23 PM
  Manjaro Community Edition Shipping thread Luke 122 147,812 01-28-2021, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Muad