PINE64 to allow use of SATA disk on network/FTP
Hi. I'm looking for a low cost way of being able to access an 2TB SATA drive across my home network and hopefully the internet. I was looking at using a Raspberry Pi but someone has suggested using a PINE64 because it should be easier to connect the drive. I'm totally new to PINE64, I'd not heard of it until a few days ago.

The drive won't ever be accessed that often, it just seems like a better solution with more access that just having inside a PC.

So, my current thinking is to get a PINE64, probably the 2GB verison, a decent SD card, install openmedia vault, attach the drive to the board and connect the board to my wifi router.

Does this sound like a good plan?

If I'm attaching a SATA drive then I think I can't use and enclosed case?
(11-12-2019, 01:26 AM)mwelbourne Wrote: Hi. I'm looking for a low cost way of being able to access an 2TB SATA drive across my home network and hopefully the internet. I was looking at using a Raspberry Pi but someone has suggested using a PINE64 because it should be easier to connect the drive. I'm totally new to PINE64, I'd not heard of it until a few days ago.

The drive won't ever be accessed that often, it just seems like a better solution with more access that just having inside a PC.

So, my current thinking is to get a PINE64, probably the 2GB verison, a decent SD card, install openmedia vault, attach the drive to the board and connect the board to my wifi router.

Does this sound like a good plan?

If I'm attaching a SATA drive then I think I can't use and enclosed case?

The Rock64 isn't much more and has USB3 and a bit faster and what not, and it's the same form factor as the rpi3B so plenty of case options available. The only board with a sata option is the rockpro64 and the PCIe sata board.

In any case emmc is faster and I'd do that rather than sdcard...
evilbunny is right, the Rock64/Pro are better suited to running a NAS, but per your description, you should be able to do the same with an A64. You'll likely have 2 cases, using an A64, one for the A64 and another for the hard drive. I haven't found any case options for the A64 that include a drive bay (you'd likely need to design your own and 3D print it,) but the Rock64Pro has an official NAS case available in the store, at a very reasonable price.
Thanks for the reply. So, does the Rock64 actually have a SATA connection then? It doesn't mention it in the list of things. Also, I'm not clear about the emmc card. Do I have to put the OS on there before putting into the Rock64, or have I got to buy an extra thing to be able to connect it to something else first?

(11-16-2019, 03:17 AM)mwelbourne Wrote: Thanks for the reply. So, does the Rock64 actually have a SATA connection then? It doesn't mention  it in the list of things. Also, I'm not clear about the emmc card. Do I have to put the OS on there before putting into the Rock64, or have I got to buy an extra thing to be able to connect it to something else first?

Maybe I load the OS onto a USB stick, insert the emmc card and then install the OS like that?
(11-16-2019, 03:17 AM)mwelbourne Wrote: Thanks for the reply. So, does the Rock64 actually have a SATA connection then? It doesn't mention  it in the list of things. Also, I'm not clear about the emmc card. Do I have to put the OS on there before putting into the Rock64, or have I got to buy an extra thing to be able to connect it to something else first?

Maybe I load the OS onto a USB stick, insert the emmc card and then install the OS like that?

There is no sata ports with the rock64, you can use usb drives but you need to boot from sdcard or emmc as the SoC doesn't support USB booting.

emmc is similar to sdcard technology wise, they're used in phones for internal storage etc. There is a number of ways to write to emmc, the easiest of which is to get the usb to emmc adapter pine64 sells.
The SATA drive is a data only drive from my old media PC - it was never used for an OS. It only has music, video and photo files. Have I got to buy a USB drive dock to be able to access the data using a PINE64 or Rock64? What choices do I have for reading the data off this disc?

So, sorry if I'm still not quite up to speed with this - if I use an emmc card then that acts like the hard drive and I can install OpenMediaVault OS onto it from a USB stick?
(11-17-2019, 07:13 AM)mwelbourne Wrote: The SATA drive is a data only drive from my old media PC - it was never used for an OS. It only has music, video and photo files. Have I got to buy a USB drive dock to be able to access the data using a PINE64 or Rock64? What choices do I have for reading the data off this disc?

Yes you would need to buy an USB enclosure and connect it to the USB3 port. This is what I do with my rock64.

Quote:So, sorry if I'm still not quite up to speed with this - if I use an emmc card then that acts like the hard drive and I can install OpenMediaVault OS onto it from a USB stick?

I haven't used OMV I just used plain debian, but yes that's the idea
Right, thanks. So what advantages does a PINE64 or Rock have over a Raspberry Pi? I was recommended to check out PINE because I could connect the SATA to the board directly but this is not the case. But I'm still OK with going the PINE option if there are still other benefits. What country do PINE/Rock products get posted from? I think if I order stuff directly from PINE then the postage costs might make it the more expensive option.
(11-18-2019, 05:14 AM)mwelbourne Wrote: Right, thanks. So what advantages does a PINE64 or Rock have over a Raspberry Pi? I was recommended to check out PINE because I could connect the SATA to the board directly but this is not the case. But I'm still OK with going the PINE option if there are still other benefits.  What country do PINE/Rock products get posted from?  I think if I order stuff  directly from PINE then the postage costs might make it the more expensive option.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Rockpro64 has a pci-e slot which you can plug in a dual sata card, and connect hdd's that way. The down side is more cost.

The Rpi4 which just came out is similar in price to the rp64, and they both run hot and need heatsinks and/or fans so they don't hit thermal limits etc. Older rpi's shared one USB port for all connections and the ethernet chip. Where as pine boards have gig-e that can actually do 1 Gbit. The r64 has a USB3 connector.
If I use a pci-e to dual SATA board then will there be enough power for the SATA drive? Or will I need an extra power supply of some sort somehow?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64 as squeezebox touch replacement Learnincurve 12 27,602 01-13-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Pine64 E-ink screen - Android projectileobjects 4 9,449 12-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Silk
  Pine64 based IP KVM tuaris 0 3,912 08-06-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: tuaris
Information Pine64 Head Unit Zoidiano0 100 139,649 11-19-2019, 04:35 AM
Last Post: rogatip79
  How to setup VNC on your Pine64 (Debian, SSH, headless) pine64nutz 20 42,149 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Last Post: hg6806
  Setup Pine64+ with OP-TEE stdys 0 3,493 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Last Post: stdys
Information UEFI for Pine64 z4v4l 20 37,207 06-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: z4v4l
  Domoticz + PINE64 Z-Wave Module + Open Z-Wave klliew 4 9,536 04-19-2018, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Harlan Mueller
  Pine64 as Security Camera / Baby Monitor utdrmac 2 7,041 02-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: davidbrucs
Photo Nextcloud running on Pine64 gbjensen 1 5,975 01-18-2018, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Luke