Pinebook Pro - No Audio
After I finally got it powered on, I I tried playing both a short movie, a youtube video, and a local MP3 file.  No audio from any source.

I did confirm the volume is 100%, not muted, and using the es8316-spk-sound device, output to the analog stereo output.

Test speaker buttons also make no noise.

I don't get anything from the onboard speakers or the headphone jack.  I haven't played with the UART switch yet as my understanding is that only affects the output of the jack itself, and not the onboard speakers.

apt update and apt upgrade have been run from the root logon.

Any suggestions?
< humor >Congradulations! You have discovered the hidden, secret, un-documented and not to be named 4th privacy switch!
This switch protects you from annoying popup annimations that have sound. Plus, prevents hackers from taking over your sound and trying to brainwash you into paying them money.

Since this is a secrect, not documented privacy switch, I can't tell you how to re-enable the sound over the web. Simply pack up your new Pinebook Pro and send it to me. I promise to turn off the 4th privacy switch and return your Pinebook Pro to you. (After carefully testing for several months.)
< /humor >

On a more practical note, I'd open up the back and see if the speaker cables are loose. And also verify that the sound jack switch is in the sound position, not serial console position.

Let us know the results. I am creating a trouble shooting section on the Wiki;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Troubleshooting guide

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(11-03-2019, 09:01 AM)bebop_man Wrote: Test speaker buttons also make no noise.

The test speakers button didn't work for me on the stock Debian build.  Although it had sound.

Anyway, first try to see if it is a software or a hardware problem.  Flash the Bionic-Mate build to SD, then boot from that.  The login prompt should make a drum-roll noise.
(11-03-2019, 02:59 PM)Arwen Wrote: On a more practical note, I'd open up the back and see if the speaker cables are loose. And also verify that the sound jack switch is in the sound position, not serial console position.

How do I tell which position is which?  I see what looks to be a little outline on the circuit board, I'll try moving it to that position.
(11-03-2019, 08:23 PM)bebop_man Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 02:59 PM)Arwen Wrote: On a more practical note, I'd open up the back and see if the speaker cables are loose. And also verify that the sound jack switch is in the sound position, not serial console position.

How do I tell which position is which?  I see what looks to be a little outline on the circuit board, I'll try moving it to that position.

Good point. Whence we find out, it should be documented on the Wiki.

Hopefully there will be some indication on the printed circuit board which way it's supposed to be, for each function.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(11-03-2019, 02:59 PM)Arwen Wrote: < humor >Congradulations! You have discovered the hidden, secret, un-documented and not to be named 4th privacy switch!
This switch protects you from annoying popup annimations that have sound. Plus, prevents hackers from taking over your sound and trying to brainwash you into paying them money.

Since this is a secrect, not documented privacy switch, I can't tell you how to re-enable the sound over the web. Simply pack up your new Pinebook Pro and send it to me. I promise to turn off the 4th privacy switch and return your Pinebook Pro to you. (After carefully testing for several months.)
< /humor >

On a more practical note, I'd open up the back and see if the speaker cables are loose. And also verify that the sound jack switch is in the sound position, not serial console position.

Let us know the results. I am creating a trouble shooting section on the Wiki;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Trouble shooting guide

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).

Thanks on starting up the Pinebook Pro trouble shooting guide at wiki.
Same for me
With the default image up to date, I have no sound whether it's via the speakers or headphones. In alsa the sound is well activated.
I tried with my account and the rock account no sound in both cases. And of course the sound is activated.
I'm not sure that Pulsaudio works and I haven't taken the time to read the system logs yet. Scheduled for tonight as well as test with another image from an SD card
Hi,

I have had some issues with the sound as well. Sound for default user rock was working, but not for my personal user which I have created with adduser.
Finally I found a difference in the sound settings. There are two hardware devices:

1) es8316-spk-sound
2) rk-hdmi-dp-sound

I have switched Output to es8316-spk-sound. This works for me :-).

Please notice that the 'Test Speaker' function didn't work for me.

Regards, Ansgar
I have sound now, either that's what I did yesterday or it's my PBP is bewitched.
it is the es8316-spk-sound that is selected.
Well, after stepping away for a while, i came back to it.  I went ahead and flashed another emmc with the latest OS version (Debian Mate), and sound came up right away.  So I reflashed the 128 Gb EMMC with the same OS, and we're up and running.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 235 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 181 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 153 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 527 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 958 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 127,148 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,716 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,146 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,863 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Decent Pinebook Pro barrel PSU / Charger petaramesh 3 1,767 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: dachalife