Update 22.02.2019 Feature-complete Debian build - SDIO WiFi/BT / PCIe / 3D / 2D
If the raid controller is getting hot it’s probably a hardware problem. Remove it and test it in another system, preferably one you don’t care about. Everything about this says there’s a short and it’s dead.
NoDiskNoFun - thanks for posting the build issue. When I build the kernel from source I specifically only build for the boards which I have listed in my github, so compiling those other device trees is not something which I have tested or support. As for the boot panics, that sounds like perhaps your kernel config isn't correct. I've posted mine for reference.

p1x3l3d -
Interestingly, it appears the scsi part of that Marvell chipset has been added to the kernel blacklist in this Rockchip commit: https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel...3c9852396c

I wonder if that's interfering with your card's ability to register... reading over your dmesg, it looks incomplete? But it looks to initialize PCIe successfully. I do see a dump in there but to me that seems unrelated.

And I agree - if it's getting really hot then that often means a hardware issue.
(03-05-2019, 02:02 PM)Mentaluproar Wrote: If the raid controller is getting hot it’s probably a hardware problem. Remove it and test it in another system, preferably one you don’t care about. Everything about this says there’s a short and it’s dead.

No it not. I have the same problem with my raid controller. See my previous posts.
My card gets very hot as well when using the rockpro64 board. Using it on a standard Intel pc worked like it should as the card warmed up a bit ever so slightly even after prolonged use.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a hardware design problem on the rockpro64, is the board respecting all pcie specs as it should? I find it hard to believe that a driver/software problem could make a pcie card burn up. It's not safe to say the least.
What do you mean with "build for the boards i use"? I there any parameter to pass to build kernel only for the Rockpro64?
Also i already tried your config, kernel panics anyway. Maybe it's because i'm trying to boot archlinuxarm?
Is there anyway to get the log of the kernel panic without uart?
Maybe you could give me your extlinux.conf?
In the title and the readme for my kernel repo I list the boards which I have tested the kernel on. These are the only boards which I can confirm it works for and therefore the only boards I support. Extlinux can be pulled from my debian release's boot partition easily enough, but if you aren't able to grab it then I can pastebin it when I'm back at my environment. And I *think* you can just add the name of the DTB at the end of your make command in order to compile just that specific device tree (ex: make arch=arm64 rk3399-rockpro64.dtb), but I'll need to confirm if that's correct. I use a buildroot toolchain in my dev environment to compile and keep track of my patches and system configs, and it always only compiles a single DTB. So it's absolutely possible, yes.
(02-26-2019, 09:31 AM)Luke Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 09:25 AM)kardanadm Wrote: LXDE desktop Chromium and Firefox not working.

Which sudo command line should I use to install Armbian desktop?

We're working towards a desktop release. If you want to install firefox then fetch this deb

Hi Luke
Is there anything new? Is there an estimated release date for the desktop?
(03-05-2019, 03:04 PM)Mrfixit2001 Wrote: p1x3l3d -
Interestingly, it appears the scsi part of that Marvell chipset has been added to the kernel blacklist in this Rockchip commit: https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel...3c9852396c

I wonder if that's interfering with your card's ability to register... reading over your dmesg, it looks incomplete? But it looks to initialize PCIe successfully. I do see a dump in there but to me that seems unrelated.

And I agree - if it's getting really hot then that often means a hardware issue.

Thanks for your fast reply! Smile Interesting that they've blacklisted the Marvell chipset, there must certainly have been a reason for it. Do you suppose this makes the RAID card unusable/incompatible with the RockPro64? I hope not, since I bought the card especially for this (RockPro64) system Rolleyes

Regarding the temperature of the chipset, I've read posts in other threads by other users (than MisterA and myself) that had the same issue; RAID controllers that run hot when used with the Rock(Pro)64, but not in other systems. I haven't tried my RAID card in other systems, but since it's brand new and seeing the fact that MisterA (and other users) are having the same issues I'm doubtful that the card has a defect.

I also own the 'official' PCI-e to SATA II card. I am aware that this is a bit of an off-topic question, but would you recommend for or against using that card to connect my 2 hard drives using software RAID (in case the HighPoint Rocket RAID card cannot be enabled)?

Finally, I've added another dmesg output (just ran it), this time by running dmesg through sudo. Hopefully this gives some better insight? The dmesg was run just after the RockPro64 was done booting up. If you want any other logs or want me to inspect the board through other means, please let me know Smile

Again, thanks for the reponses thus far!

Attached Files
.txt   dmesg_20190309.txt (Size: 77.35 KB / Downloads: 315)
PinePhone (BH 2GB + CE 3GB) // RockPro64 4GB (rev. 2.1) - OMV NAS // PineH64 3GB (model B) - off-prem OMV NAS // Pine64-LTS 2GB (rev. 1.2 + Playbox) - Domotics server
(03-07-2019, 07:56 AM)kardanadm Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 09:25 AM)kardanadm Wrote: LXDE desktop Chromium and Firefox not working.

We're working towards a desktop release. If you want to install firefox then fetch this deb

Hi Luke

We're close. By Wednesday it will be up [edit] ... hopefully...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-10-2019, 06:42 AM)Luke Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 07:56 AM)kardanadm Wrote:

Hi Luke

We're close. By Wednesday it will be up [edit] ... hopefully...

Thanks for the good news.
Video 
[Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RK3399 PCIe enumeration jhadd 0 227 01-31-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: jhadd
  Vanilla mainline Debian 11 (Bullseye) on the RockPro64 Pete Tandy 22 16,821 08-16-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: varac
  Installing CH431SER on Ayufan 0.9.14: gitlab-ci-linux-build-159 Thisone 4 1,183 07-14-2023, 04:22 AM
Last Post: hunderteins
  How do I enable Pine touchdisplay as display on Debian? Thisone 0 515 04-23-2023, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Thisone
  GPIO on Ayufan 0.9.14 Build Thisone 7 1,937 04-23-2023, 01:32 PM
Last Post: diederik
  Is some u-boot required on the SPI for installing debian with the official installer? callegar 1 1,284 10-25-2022, 10:07 AM
Last Post: ratzzupaltuff
  Can RockPRO64 support PCIe Endpoint? andrewg132 3 2,089 10-14-2022, 06:24 AM
Last Post: rwk-
  bullseye 11.3 WiFi drivers moserwi 0 1,250 03-28-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: moserwi
  Install Mali 400 Drivers for Debian 11 on RockPro64 MaverickPi 2 2,317 02-19-2022, 06:44 AM
Last Post: sigmaris
  prevent bluetooth from loading (manjaro, no wifi/bt card installed) flounder 0 989 02-17-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: flounder