Copper cooler for Rockpro64
(10-30-2018, 08:35 AM)duckkcud Wrote: What base is the board secured to? I'm assuming it's a tiered / stack-able platform?

It is just the base of the standard Pine64 acryllic enclosure. (When placing my order with Pine for the RockPro64 figured I may as well put one in the basket. With the benefit of hindsight, and having use for the PCI slot for NVMe, it probably wasn't the best buy as I only use half of it. Ditto the 30mm heatsink But hardly a bank breaker!)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(09-29-2018, 09:01 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Got myself a larger heatsink which works well. Stock Pine64 30mm job weighs 62g, this thing weighs 110g so should be useful. Running cpuminer as a benchmark indicates it is: stock 30mm at 2GHz was reaching 80C after about 15 minutes and throttling, this new sink seems to be able to keep under 80C (ambient 23C) indefinitely and running RockPro at 2.1/1.5GHz.

Had to mount it on the long axis of the board to prevent interference with the PCIe card. Available all over Fleabay - I happened to get mine from this vendor with no problems.

Hello Dukla2000,

That heaktink seems really nice.
can you post a picture from  the other side?
How is the GPIO behind it?
Does you have space to insert  a fan header?and pins on GPIO?
And the spdif?

Does the board support well the 110g of weight?

Thanks in Advance,
Regards

(09-21-2018, 03:57 AM)battlenut Wrote: Found this copper cooler on ebay. Fits nicely except the area around the WIFI/Bluetooth card attaches so had to bend the fins a little bit. But all in all a nice passive cooler. it does have a fan that comes with it but would need connection modification. Just wanted to share this.

IT should have a nice dissipation since is made of copper.
Can you access to GPIO?
Does you have used the silicon pad behind it?

Resuming..it was dificult to mount? Smile
(11-04-2018, 09:32 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: can you post a picture from  the other side?
How is the GPIO behind it?
Does you have space to insert  a fan header?and pins on GPIO?
And the spdif?

Does the board support well the 110g of weight?

Access to the GPIO etc is no problem as hopefully the pic shows.

In terms of supporting the weight: this is subjective but I think NOT well is probably correct! I have no pets or children and so can leave mine hanging with no fear of too many accidents. Also I have mine mounted so the heatsink is hanging from the board (about worst mechanical case - the board is mounted vertically on a wall, but thermally nice for airflow!) rather than just standing on the CPU.

What would be nice is to have some kind of brace to out under the board. Impossible for the heatsink manufacturer to supply as they cannot know the actual bolt spacing that it gets mounted at - would need something non-conductive and RP64 specific as there are a lot of components on the bottom of the board under/around the CPU.

But hey - works for me Big Grin
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(11-05-2018, 04:58 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Access to the GPIO etc is no problem as hopefully the pic shows.

In terms of supporting the weight: this is subjective but I think NOT well is probably correct! I have no pets or children and so can leave mine hanging with no fear of too many accidents. Also I have mine mounted so the heatsink is hanging from the board (about worst mechanical case - the board is mounted vertically on a wall, but thermally nice for airflow!) rather than just standing on the CPU.

What would be nice is to have some kind of brace to out under the board. Impossible for the heatsink manufacturer to supply as they cannot know the actual bolt spacing that it gets mounted at - would need something non-conductive and RP64 specific as there are a lot of components on the bottom of the board under/around the CPU.

But hey - works for me Big Grin

Thanks, 
It's very Nice indeed, the base seems to fit well in the mounting holes right? 
If I find one with 80mm from the board up,... is mine!  Cool 

I am using the one bellow, and it was the base for ats tool, temps at max throttle are now precisely 53C Shy 
It uses a fan 10mm taller, it's 40x40x38 taller, plus 10mm for the fan, and its around 50mm above board..
It works nice, BUT the mounting holes...it needs to be carefully because, the supporters are 1 or 2 mm larger,and the worst problem, they fit 1-2mm above the expected... Sad

Because the base is bigger, and 1-2 mm taller,
It needs very careful handling to not damage the 'grid array balls' behind cpu( with pressure.. ),

Maybe twisting a bit the mounting supports.. or finding ones less ticker, in the way you could reduce the 2mm to lets say 1mm.
It needs to be done very carefully, also I am using the silicone thermal pad from 30mm taller Pine heatsink, to try to reduce this 2mm, with a silicone pad of 1mm tick, forget, its not possible, or you will damage the CPU bal grid Array Sad

But you can push it up to the max, squeeze every little extra cpu, the temps are below 60C, max in the Summer registered 58C...
Of course it has small fan.

Your solution if space in not a constraint is very good, and the mounting scheme seems to not put too much pressure in the CPU bal grid array( like in my case.. ).

Its a pitty that I cannot find the Heatsink I have with the mounting holes support 2mm bellow( like in 30mm Pine heatsink, there they are OK ).  

Have you tried 24x7 max load? what are the Temps in that situation?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Powering on the Rockpro64 JPT223 1 826 09-24-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: hoarfrosty
  ROCKPro64 Battery Power Supply hoarfrosty 11 1,627 09-23-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: hoarfrosty
  ROCKPro64 with 16 ports SATA controller ZeblodS 19 25,258 12-18-2022, 06:25 PM
Last Post: heyghoge
  Using RPI hat on RockPro64? misterc 0 798 12-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Last Post: misterc
  GPIO on the RockPro64 - all pins high? colinmarc 2 1,523 11-18-2022, 10:20 AM
Last Post: colinmarc
  ROCKPro64 DOA ajtravis 8 6,349 11-08-2022, 03:40 AM
Last Post: ajtravis
  RockPro64 not booting up mvicha@gmail.com 0 1,091 09-19-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: mvicha@gmail.com
  GPIO Expander HAT for ROCKPro64 and Quartz64 CounterPillow 7 5,187 07-18-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  RockPro64 premium aluminium casing justwantin 2 2,070 05-27-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: justwantin
  charging 3 rockpro64 from single source rpt312 1 1,664 05-16-2022, 02:34 AM
Last Post: dukla2000