Linux Images (ROCK64)
(07-17-2018, 04:16 PM)gregb49 Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 01:35 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: Probably not the case but a lot of modern printers have LAN/wifi and you can consider this cups-cloud-print "bridge", i use it on 2 raspis to connect to a samsung printer that dont have direct CUPS drivers either and works fantastic (if a bit slow to start but no artifacts/problems when printing), i know this forum is about rock64 but the principle is about the same, its old but it still works fine since CUPS didnt change much in the last few years...its kind of a nasty workaround but if it works.......

Thanks Trash_Can_Man. I'll try that. Meanwhile I'm back on Armbian and am remembering its major flaw. Any search using Synaptic takes ten plus minutes. Apt-get is fine if you know the precise name of a package, but if you want to load, say, LibreOffice and cannot quite remember the precise name of the huntspell dictionary or the Libreoffice en-gb help, then each search can drive you nuts. For me, this makes Armbian a non-starter.

Yea ive seen issues with that but i kinda didnt care much about that, after all we dont install the OS and/or all the packages everyday, once you install everything correctly you dont touch it for months usually, or at least i dont touch that part much after the first install...im just trying to help, i think you are entering the fuzzy terrain of preferences now xD
(07-17-2018, 04:24 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: ...
Yea ive seen issues with that but i kinda didnt care much about that, after all we dont install the OS and/or all the packages everyday, once you install everything correctly you dont touch it for months usually, or at least i dont touch that part much after the first install...im just trying to help, i think you are entering the fuzzy terrain of preferences now xD

yes, it is "the fuzzy terrain of preferences" but with each search taking in excess of 16 minutes and with over 10 packages that I need to install for my work etc, that comes to at least 3 hours. Hence my criticism. 
But I appreciate your comments and will fight on with Armbian, ignoring the Synaptic issue, so that I can decide whether or not I feel it is the best desktop package so far.
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2
At present, I am finding Armbian the best of the images for desktop use, despite the Synaptic shortcoming that I mentioned above. Under Armbian, I can run almost all the packages that I want, and LibreOffice seems stable and quick when editing very large documents with many embedded photos. I assume that this is due, in part, to the 4GB of memory.
I understand that there will be some struggles using Armbian because, as Igor said in 2015
Quote:Desktop version of Armbian is a basic one because main focus is elsewhere ... low level things.
 ”The last hurdle was getting a printer to work, but thanks to extremeshok's advice, aimed at the Raspberry Pi, I ran
Code:
apt-get install printer-driver-gutenprint
apt-get install printer-driver-cjet
and now have a working Canon printer again.
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2
(07-22-2018, 09:21 AM)gregb49 Wrote: At present, I am finding Armbian the best of the images for desktop use, despite the Synaptic shortcoming that I mentioned above. Under Armbian, I can run almost all the packages that I want, and LibreOffice seems stable and quick when editing very large documents with many embedded photos. I assume that this is due, in part, to the 4GB of memory.
I understand that there will be some struggles using Armbian because, as Igor said in 2015
Quote:Desktop version of Armbian is a basic one because main focus is elsewhere ... low level things.
 ”The last hurdle was getting a printer to work, but thanks to extremeshok's advice, aimed at the Raspberry Pi, I ran
Code:
apt-get install printer-driver-gutenprint
apt-get install printer-driver-cjet
and now have a working Canon printer again.
I just enable the cups.client browser, which sees all the printers configured and shared on this machine, a switch and 90 feet of cat5 away. At that point anything that needs a printer, like geany of even gimp, has those printers at its disposal. Biggest hassle is the trip to the house and this little man cave to get the printout from the chosen printers output tray.  There is only two printers, a cheap, doesn't do duplex little brother B&W laser that makes about 19 ppm, and a huge MFC color ink jet that makes about 1 ppm, but its configured as several printers because it has 2 paper trays and a back slot for feeding it tabloid if I need a big printout.  Its also a scanner, up to 11x17 too, with and adf if needed but tabloid, 11x17, is only by hand on the glass.. Not a great printer, but usable and very economical expendables.
Added Debian Stretch Minimal 64bit OS Image [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic LXDE Desktop Image [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic minimal 64bit Image [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic minimal 32bit Image [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Containers Image (DockerCE & Kubernetes)[microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Stretch OpenMediaVault OS Image armhf [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Stretch OpenMediaVault OS Image arm64 [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
The minimal stretch looks interesting. But will not be tried because of the hard coded 1st user issue. I have tried to rename user 1000 so that I could have transparent X forwarding, and transparent file sharing with myself on other machines, but user rock64 is so deeply entwined that pam and other system security things simply will not allow it to work. It now has the real armbian on it, which does allow me to be me and user 1000, and a lot of stuff that didn't work now does.

While I haven't figured out how to switch kernels so I can actually use a realtime preempt I build about every 2 weeks an an SSD attached to the usb3 port with a sata adapter. However, I've just now discovered that the new make, can make debs. But I need to make it boot from the eMMC if the sd is unplugged, but the boot logs do not show it detecting the eMMC.

A 16GB eMMC is plugged in on both of these rock64's, but neither of the 2 rock64's I bought will run etcher, because it can't find a place to put what its supposed to copy, that whole input panel is ghosted out. Anybody know why?

Lack of adequate docs with these very efficient arm boards is a major problem. So is porting the rpspi.ko spi driver from one that is running great on a real pi 3b. Both the realtime kernel, and this driver will need to be made to run on the different gpio facility of the rock64.

These could be the basis to build a very good cnc machine controller, but the emphasis on its being a multimedia server, useless to me except for the potentially speedier gfx, is very discouraging.
shouldn't it be O.7.9 (Release) not 8 which was replaced due a uboot issue ?
The 0.7.9 only allows upgrades for older releases. There's nothing different.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
Hi Ayufan. Do you have a webpage or forum post with a list of OSs that can run through a USB external hard drive? Would this latest one happen to do so?
(08-06-2018, 02:30 AM)pineadmin Wrote: Added Debian Stretch Minimal 64bit OS Image [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic LXDE Desktop Image [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic minimal 64bit Image [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic minimal 32bit Image [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Containers Image (DockerCE & Kubernetes)[microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Stretch OpenMediaVault OS Image armhf [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan
Added Stretch OpenMediaVault OS Image arm64 [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.8] by ayufan

Hello I installed Ubuntu 18.04 bionic lxde in a micro SD , and Ihave a eMMC drive 16GB .But i don't have de USB adaptor .
How can I install easy, because i'm newbbie in linux, this image in emmc
Can some one help me?
And when I try to start rock64 with module eMMC conected and with micro SD doesn't start Why?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 50 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,237 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 243 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 511 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 511 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,962 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,403 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 510 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  MIPI-CSI IMX214 on Linux NO SUCCESS zeus666 2 1,629 06-02-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: diederik
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 564 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung