[Archived] ANNOUNCING RECALBOX FOR THE ROCK64 - ALPHA RELEASE
Smile 
ANNOUNCING RECALBOX FOR THE ROCK64 - ALPHA RELEASE

After many efforts with much teamwork, collaboration, and testing, we are very excited to provide the ALPHA release of RECALBOX for the ROCK64 board!

DOWNLOAD HERE: https://github.com/mrfixit2001/recalbox_rock64/releases

Details on the ROCK64 SoC can be found here: https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=7147

For those of you unfamiliar with the software: https://www.recalbox.com/ 
"Recalbox offers a wide selection of consoles and game systems. From the very first arcade systems to the NES, the MEGADRIVE, 32-bit platforms (such as the Playstation) and even Nintendo64. With Kodi already includeed, Recalbox also serves as a Media Center. By connecting it to your home network, you will be able to stream videos from any compatible devices (NAS, PC, External HDD, etc.)."

Please do keep in mind that this is an ALPHA release, which means you should EXPECT some things not to work. We have done a fair amount of testing on our own to try and resolve as many issues as we can before this release, but now you get to help! (Lucky you!) So if/when you do find things that don't work right, please use the link in github to report the issue.

When reporting issues:
  • Provide logs or screenshots of the issue so that we can see the error(s) you are seeing

• Provide detailed steps for us to follow in order to reproduce the issue
A few things you can expect not to work or be included (yet):
  • Amstrad (Caprice) Emulator

• Dreamcast (Reicast) Emulator

• SPI booting from USB
Some things we have added:
  • Upgraded Kodi (and addons) from Krypton to Leia

• InputStream.Adaptive Kodi Addon

• Multiple N64 cores so that you can select which core works best for you on each ROM!

• Overclocked the CPU and the GPU by default
Some things we have tested:
  • Bluetooth and Wifi adapters from the Pine store have been tested and work for sure

• N64 core named "n64" is "GLES2N64" and runs Mario Kart pretty smoothly
Some important notes:
  • You can only boot this image only from an SD card (eMMC and USB currently do not work out of the box). To boot from eMMC you need to set root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 in extlinux.
  • Sometimes when the image first boots there can be a delay. Please be patient and let this complete. It should not happen on every boot.

• We highly recommend that you install a heatsink on the board with this image! The temp without a heatsink sit at 76C when in EmulationStation - which is just 4C under thermal throttling. With a heatsink - even a poor one - the temps are at approx. 66C and around 73C when playing mariokart (24*C ambient temp).
"Where's the source code?"
The alpha release is just the compiled image at this time while the source is cleaned up and organized in preparation to be made available for the recalbox team to maintain. The source code will be added to this same repository as soon as possible.

Lastly, please remember this is a community build, and just something I've worked on in my free time. There's no pressure at all, but if you appreciate the work then feel free to send me a buck on paypal: mrfixit2001 at gmail.

Special thanks go out to Substring at Recalbox and LukasZ at Pine64 for all their efforts in testing and feedback!

- Mr Fix-IT
Awesome work!

Quick note regarding using controllers in KODI - if you're using anything else than a wired or wireless XBOX 360 controller, then you'll have to set up the buttons under System->settings->input->configure attached controllers.

One last thing, as mentioned by myfixit2001 already, be patient on first boot - even AFTER the GUI comes up. Its worth to reboot the board after first boot too I found.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Downloading and will test today!!
[Image: d4f148f9be86979ede181830907f757e.jpg]

Rock64 4G with 64eMMC
Those are HDMI errors I believe. Whats teh resolution of the display ?

(04-30-2018, 07:53 AM)S3phi40T Wrote: Downloading and will test today!!

Rock64 4G with 64eMMC

Thanks for testing!! Smile
Does the image boot after you see those initial warnings? Or does it hang there? I've seen some of these before but it continues booting successfully afterwards.
What are the specs on your board?
@Luke
Rock > Amplituner > FHD TV 1080p/60fps
I'm coming from Ayufan's latest pre-release armhf Debian Jessie where it worked fine.

@Mrfixit2001
Not sure about "specs"?
Rock64 board with 4gb RAM and using 64Gb eMMC.

I have even disconnected every possible cables except of HDMI to check.

Re downloaded image - checksums match for both downloads.
Let it sit there for a few minutes before rebooting. Try using a SD card please.

Stole SD card from my daughter.
Got the same errors but it booted up.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi Note 4 przy użyciu Tapatalka
(04-30-2018, 09:00 AM)S3phi40T Wrote: Stole SD card from my daughter.
Got the same errors but it booted up.

Let me retry eMMC. Will edit this post once I do.
[edit] Indeed, no boot from eMMC. I'll investigate and report back.
[edit 2] to boot from eMMC you need to set root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 in extlinux.

How do I do that?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 53 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,237 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 243 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 511 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 512 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,966 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,460 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 510 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 564 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,745 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7