New pinebook owner, media playback how? (was: larger eMMC, what and how to install?)
battery life isn't great ? then something is wrong; perhaps the biggest selling point of the PB for the average user is battery life. I get approx. 7-8hrs of battery life on my unit.

Open with is ok, but if you use Firefox then this is better
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(08-23-2017, 12:42 PM)Luke Wrote: this is better
that's a highly subjective way of saying it.
anyhow why should i limit myself to VLC, which has proven to be rather resource-hungry on many occasions?

Oh Linux, land of choices - I found another distro that makes my pinebook happy: armbian's pinebook edition.
That one also ships with a recent version of mpv.
(08-25-2017, 02:44 PM)dahni Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 12:42 PM)Luke Wrote: this is better
that's a highly subjective way of saying it.
anyhow why should i limit myself to VLC, which has proven to be rather resource-hungry on many occasions?

Oh Linux, land of choices - I found another distro that makes my pinebook happy: armbian's pinebook edition.
That one also ships with a recent version of mpv.

How fully featured is armbian for the PB these days ? - I havent checked in some time.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

it uses a slightly reduced xfce desktop; i personally find it nicer & lighter than the ubuntu mate setup.
they didn't disable compositing by default, but i had the feeling it's responsive enough even so. in any case, a small step to change that.

the setup/install to emmc procedure is nice: you are asked to provide a username/password, the user is then created.

fully featured? sure, it has package management tools & you install whatever you want. afaics, there's an armbian repo and ports.ubuntu, backports fully enabled as usually with ubuntu.
i have the vague impression that the armbian repositories are better groomed and larger than the ones from pine.org/uk, maybe because they support a larger range of devices.
the previously mentioned recent version of mpv for one, but of course also VLC and smplayer are available.
chromium, firefox, but no palemoon (yet). might need to tackle that one myself.

i compiled a recent version of tint2 (it's also in the repos, but i need some features from the newer version) without a problem, so that also works.
i'm so used to intel architecture, i wasn't sure it would.
I was wrong about the battery life.
It seems that installing things, working with usb and external hard drive, writing imasges etc., drains the battery even more than media playback.
now i've been doing just system maintenance & light usage (not much internet) for a while, and battery life is very satisfactory! from days to a week, whether i switch off or suspend.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DietPi OS for Pinebook MichaIng 3 5,143 03-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: oxoocoffee
  Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit] KRT 46 59,533 09-26-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: mara
  Broke pinebook GUI, what to do, fix or install new? acruhl 2 771 07-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Orignal PineBook jwp1000 1 603 07-10-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook no longer boots rjtanner 12 3,232 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM
Rainbow Customised (encrypted) eMMC installation using Anarsoul's ArchLinux Blutkoete 24 33,809 05-02-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: thunderweasel
  Stock Debian on original Pinebook moonwalkers 1 3,113 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: cel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,658 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  E: The repository 'http://pinebook.kde.org.uk bionic Release' no longer has a Release pixelpaperyarn 3 5,078 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM
  pinebook.kde.org.uk no longer has release file?? supermassive 1 3,713 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM