Problems At Shutdown?
I'm running the most current, stable kernel. Just pulled my Pinebook out of my briefcase to discover it didn't actually shutdown when I last ended a session (reworked a bit of code on the bus this am), and my battery is all but dead.

Anyone else experience something similar? Any thoughts on what logs I might look at to start to get to the bottom of things?
(08-22-2017, 10:02 AM)robbiemacg Wrote: I'm running the most current, stable kernel. Just pulled my Pinebook out of my briefcase to discover it didn't actually shutdown when I last ended a session (reworked a bit of code on the bus this am), and my battery is all but dead.

Anyone else experience something similar? Any thoughts on what logs I might look at to start to get to the bottom of things?

News to me. What do dmesg and Xorg log say ? The 'stock' ubuntu mate image ?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(08-22-2017, 10:50 AM)Luke Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 10:02 AM)robbiemacg Wrote: I'm running the most current, stable kernel. Just pulled my Pinebook out of my briefcase to discover it didn't actually shutdown when I last ended a session (reworked a bit of code on the bus this am), and my battery is all but dead.

I'll check the logs as soon as I'm done at work. Image is stock, I'm accustomed to triggering shutdown via the shortcut called when the power button is pressed and selecting the default action by pressing enter.
(08-22-2017, 12:11 PM)robbiemacg Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 10:50 AM)Luke Wrote:

I'll check the logs as soon as I'm done at work. Image is stock, I'm accustomed to triggering shutdown via the shortcut called when the power button is pressed and selecting the default action by pressing enter.

This also happens to me frequently.  

...  I also have the latest non pre release on my Pinebook ( stable tested ) .  Often it will not power off... if the unit goes all the way flat when you're not aware,  it may not ever recharge again !   (important)

What I do with mine is wait a few minutes after I shutdown ;  if the LCD is still on ( dark yes, on yes ) and the power LED is still on...   then press and hold the power button until the LED goes out. 

I don't have a reason for this yet either;  but, I have noticed that if I do not have a network connection at power down its more likely to happen, or if I turn off the blue tooth before power down;  haven't really put my finger on it yet.

But, its not just your system.   I have not reported it till now because my system is a pre production unit that I'm testing.  ... haha and I've modded it, so... not really fair to put it in the mix with a general statement of failure.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
The only thing I did see is - while Iam using Q4OS and it does shutdown quite well - the pinebook will proceed to pwer a external optical mouse (laser) after a shutdown.
This happen with or WITHOUT power-supply and the power-led (green) off.
So I do remove the mouse after shutdown.
Interesting. I saw nothing obvious in my logs, but I'm not the most knowledgeable in these areas.

There appear to be a number of parallels between what MarkHaysHarris777 describes and what I've got going on. When I work on the bus, I have Bluetooth disabled, and am generally without a network (pull email at the stop by the library).

I'll keep an eye on this and put a proper ticket in if the issue persists.
I never shut the pinebook down, I only put it in standby, and I haven't had this problem since. I do think I had it once before that.

However, the important thing I noticed, is that it does exit standby when you plug in or remove the power supply. That might be related?
For what it is worth -- This has happened to me twice. I have a newly delivered unit upgraded to the latest Mate software. The first time I thought I hadn't shut down the system and it drained to about 10%. The second time I thought maybe I had confused the system somehow. In that instance I noticed that there was an underscore cursor showing in the upper left corner of the screen with a faint screen illumination.

Usually when I shut down with the power pack plugged in, the Pinebook shuts down and then briefly turns back on and puts up the lightning bolt battery image, then completely shuts down. But this time underscore I noticed didn't go away and the battery image did not appear in a reasonable amount of time. The cursor didn't go away and the display shut down until I held the power button down for several seconds. Interesting anomaly. Not the worst idiosyncrasy I've ever encountered.
"Get your facts straight first, then distort them as you wish." -- Mark Twain
(08-24-2017, 11:12 PM)Siliconserf Wrote: For what it is worth -- <snip> The cursor didn't go away and the display shut down until I held the power button down for several seconds. Interesting anomaly. Not the worst idiosyncrasy I've ever encountered.

I agree, there are worse things to deal with right now;  in fact, if the sync(s) have occurred and the storage has been cleanly unmounted before the shutdown hangs, the anomaly causing the machine to not completely powered off ( probably a PMIC setting) is not really even a problem unless you don't notice it !

If you notice you can simply force it on down with a long power button press.

The only really good way to know for sure whether this is harmful ( or even what is going on ) is to put a serial console on the pinebook and monitor the shutdown messages to see how far it gets before it hangs;  my hypothesis is that the system finishes the shutdown completely, and the PMIC simply fails to power-off.  Not the worst thing.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Information 
Greetings,

I have confirmed that the shutdown (at least in my testing) is actually halting the system properly and the storage is being cleanly unmounted!  I verified this with the system serial console.

Serial Console:

Please see the first post in this link:

I was able to get the serial console running for boot-up and shutdown.  I was also able to get a three (3) pole plug to work;  four pole plug is not necessary ( as long as the collar is taped ).

1) tape the collar of the plug ( 2mm ) or use a four pole plug

( the plug is labeled wrong , well do you label the plug's pins , or do you label where the plug's pins go !?! )

( plug's pins:  tip--Rx,  ring--Tx,  ring--gnd,  collar taped )      if using three(3) pole plug !

2) flip the slider switch inside the Pinebook (mainboard outside edge) towards the center of the board

3) disable the systemd service which starts the pinebook-headphones service !   (important:  see top link)

sudo  systemctl  disable  pinebook-headphones

4) attach the cabling & start your serial console monitor terminal software ( I used minicom )

5) boot-up the Pinebook

Notes:  I'm embarrassed to tell you that not including the time it took me to cut the slot in the bottom case (to have access to the slider switch) it took me four hours to make the cable and get the damned console running!  This is insane. The serial console of an embedded system should just work.  To recommend this to a noob who needs help fast would be immoral, or at least unethical. 

Once you get the logon prompt on the serial console you may logon to the Pinebook with the serial terminal ; its fun, enjoy!

If you leave the serial console running , when you shutdown there will be shutdown messages on the console as services are quiesced and storage is unmounted ( these messages are very similar to boot-up messages but in reverse ).

If everything goes smoothly you should see a message at the end with a time-stamp and the words:

Sytem halted.

Anyways, it looks like there is a disconnect between the system and the ARISC|PMIC ( AXP803 Power Management Integrated Circuit ).  The system does shutdown cleanly, but the PMIC fails to power-down;  failure to notice this will leave the power on forever until the battery is flat-- chances are very good that after that the battery will not recover without a great deal of effort.  Please see this link:

Note:   There are three ways to initiate the shutdown :

1) sudo halt    ( from the serial console )

2) click System Shutdown -->  shutdown dialogue ( then click shutdown )

3) press and hold the power button momentarily --> shutdown dialogue ( then clcik shutdown )

As it turns out, (3) option above is the most reliable for a full power-down because not only the OS gets told to shutdown, but the ARISC PMIC expects the shutdown to come along;  so the full power-down actually occurs !

Blush

marcushh777    Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro (i3 WM): Confirm Shutdown on Power Button etothepii 3 6,903 08-14-2020, 06:03 AM
Last Post: loblik
  Flakey WIFI (problems authenticating, etc.) robbiemacg 6 9,099 12-15-2019, 04:31 AM
Last Post: matze79
  Problems putting Ubuntu (Xenial Mate) on my replacement eMMC. frank-zappa 11 13,327 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  KDE Neon problems persisting (1080) ImmortanJoe 8 9,005 11-18-2018, 02:22 AM
Last Post: ImmortanJoe
Music Problems using Spotify Web version because DRM (Firefox & Chromium) Ekkaia 6 8,809 09-07-2018, 02:23 AM
Last Post: JerrySmith1021
  Problems to install qemu on Xenial Mate (for EMMC) demian 1 3,070 03-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: xalius