Armbian?
Thumbs Up 
(08-29-2016, 11:41 AM)tkaiser Wrote: Pine64 now also officially added: http://www.armbian.com/download/

Yay - thats awesome!
(08-29-2016, 12:00 PM)longsleep Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 11:41 AM)tkaiser Wrote: Pine64 now also officially added: http://www.armbian.com/download/

Yay - thats awesome!

LOL, but also somewhat mad and also sad (since the main reason why Armbian grew that way is that vendor supplied OS images are so horrible most of the times -- the last images I didn't had to puke when dealing with were your minimal Xenial image and the stuff from FriendlyARM).

Anyway: I've been wrong regarding your network tuning script and tried to correct that at all locations. It does improve throughput but that's not fine for all use cases (throughput vs. latency) so currently we recommend to stay with defaults and tune only on a per 'use case' basis. And I think the most important switch for better looking iperf numbers is simply switching from ondemand to performance or interactive (at least that's what monitoring shows when using iperf in the wrong -- also called usual -- way Wink )

BTW: Did you ever look into disabling ressources like GPU and HDMI in the .dts files for true headless use cases? With H3 and BSP kernel we get savings of ~210 mW less and also ~4°C less SoC temperature while memory bandwidth improves: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic...n/?p=14381

Just wanted to start looking into your .dts files and then got shocked (the decompiled stuff containing only hex values back from march still being there) and exchanged the task with going out and drinking a beer. Cheers!
(08-29-2016, 01:06 PM)tkaiser Wrote: Anyway: I've been wrong regarding your network tuning script and tried to correct that at all locations. It does improve throughput but that's not fine for all use cases (throughput vs. latency) so currently we recommend to stay with defaults and tune only on a per 'use case' basis. And I think the most important switch for better looking iperf numbers is simply switching from ondemand to performance or interactive (at least that's what monitoring shows when using iperf in the wrong -- also called usual -- way Wink )

Right, for my Ubuntu image, interactive is the default (automatically enabled after boot, boot happens with performance). The script also is mostly to get the same test results and one of the first things it does is enable performance governor.

(08-29-2016, 01:06 PM)tkaiser Wrote: BTW: Did you ever look into disabling ressources like GPU and HDMI in the .dts files for true headless use cases? With H3 and BSP kernel we get savings of ~210 mW less and also ~4°C less SoC temperature while memory bandwidth improves: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic...n/?p=14381

No. I was hoping to switch to mainline Kernel for this eventually.

(08-29-2016, 01:06 PM)tkaiser Wrote: Just wanted to start looking into your .dts files and then got shocked (the decompiled stuff containing only hex values back from march still being there) and exchanged the task with going out and drinking a beer. Cheers!

Yes - i feel the same way and every time i open up the DTS i quickly close it again Tongue - Cheers!

... 4.7 (for developers only) ...

Very happy to see that the Pine64 got Armbian support.

Did you manage to get the USB ports up and running with apritzel's 4.7 kernel sources?
Are you able to boot both kernels (3.10 & 4.7) with the same u-boot firmware?
Great news TKaiser!  gold!

Can't see Pine64 ever being a viable desktop machine...  So I'm thinking Armbian might be a goer for Pine...   I've got it running on my BPi and it runs sweet...
What gives?  EVERY time I boot my Pine64+ (2 GB) it gets a different MAC address on the ethernet!!!  (in Armbian)

Also - no wifi device gets loaded in Armbian - but I can live with that...

Don't these things have fixed MAC addresses?

I can see I'm gonna have get Bonjour / Avahi going on my LAN...

Really these Pine64 are a serious PITA!
(09-02-2016, 01:53 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: Don't these things have fixed MAC addresses?

No.

The images based on longlseep's kernel have a script called :

pine64_eth0-mackeeper.sh

This script places|fixes the mac addy in  /boot/uEnv.txt  so that it behaves like a permanent mac address.  We have come to realize that the mac prefix is a vendor or manufacturing number assigned by ieee;  the one for the PineA64 is 00:06:dc

The rest of the address can be anything you want it to be.  Armbian needs to have a similar mechanism for 'keeping' the mach address consistent (persistent) between boot-ups.

(hope this is helpful for you)
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-02-2016, 01:53 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: EVERY time I boot my Pine64+ (2 GB) it gets a different MAC address on the ethernet!!!  (in Armbian)

So obviously you use vanilla kernel image and did not read what's written on the download page where it's clearly stated: "Using images with legacy kernel is highly recommended, vanilla kernel is for developers only"

Unless you're a developer trying to improve mainline kernel for A64 (or having a look whether mainline kernel driver might cure the GbE problem many users are suffering from) the vanilla image is not for you. Stay with legacy, there the MAC address will be set on first boot and remains the same. If not this is a bug -- prerequisit for reporting one is reading the docs and posting the output of 'sudo armbianmonitor -u'.

edit: moderator: inflammatory commentary was removed from the post, the technical content was left unaltered.
(09-02-2016, 02:14 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(09-02-2016, 01:53 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: EVERY time I boot my Pine64+ (2 GB) it gets a different MAC address on the ethernet!!!  (in Armbian)

So obviously you use vanilla kernel image and did not read what's written on the download page where it's clearly stated: "Using images with legacy kernel is highly recommended, vanilla kernel is for developers only"

Unless you're a developer trying to improve mainline kernel for A64 (or having a look whether mainline kernel driver might cure the GbE problem many users are suffering from) the vanilla image is not for you. Stay with legacy, there the MAC address will be set on first boot and remains the same. If not this is a bug -- prerequisit for reporting one is reading the docs and posting the output of 'sudo armbianmonitor -u'.

edit:  moderator:  inflammatory commentary was removed from the post, the technical content was left unaltered.

Naaa - I want the latest bleeding edge...

I've got 2 x Pine64+ (2 GB) and these things boot nice and quick - and despite the lack of a fixed MAC address - it's something I can workaround... and I'm consistently getting at least half a gigabit testing with iPerf3 (was getting less than 100 mbit with the latest Debian image)...

Now to see if I can get docker working (I originally backed the Pine64 kickstarter because of a post at Hypriot OS)...
If you wish to get rid of the random MAC on every reboot, you need to specify a fixed on in the DTS.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question PINE64 PA642GB Armbian - no Microphone plug spel 1 3,541 11-09-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: pinebug
  Armbian 22.02 Release Announcement TRS-80 0 1,891 02-28-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Software Updates in Armbian CVBruce 1 3,907 07-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Last Post: martinayotte
  Armbian for Pine64 xalius 22 54,753 05-07-2020, 06:27 PM
Last Post: bratoff
  Armbian enable toucscreen right-click burningkrome 0 2,917 12-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: burningkrome
  PineA64+ Armbian not boot, black screen and log klode 3 7,492 10-14-2018, 04:02 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
Exclamation Armbian Bionic on Pine A64+ black screen starmagoo 11 18,761 08-06-2018, 12:35 AM
Last Post: starmagoo
  +LTS/SOPINE kivy on armbian with lcd baumbachandrew 0 3,021 05-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Last Post: baumbachandrew
  Install VNC Armbian netpr 1 5,465 08-30-2017, 07:03 PM
Last Post: vinodmenon80
  Create OMV images with Armbian xalius 1 4,952 04-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Last Post: xalius