recommended micro sd card ?
please excuse the noob question but can anyone please recommend a good brand and class of micro sd card to buy to use with the PINE A64+ w/ 2GB SDRAM. I am very excited about receiving mine in March but very much wanting advice on the best micro sd card to buy. Any advice greatfully accepted thanks  Smile
(01-24-2016, 06:10 PM)mronhb Wrote: please excuse the noob question but can anyone please recommend a good brand and class of micro sd card to buy to use with the PINE A64+ w/ 2GB SDRAM. I am very excited about receiving mine in March but very much wanting advice on the best micro sd card to buy. Any advice greatfully accepted thanks  Smile

I'm no expert, but most modern Class 10 micro sd cards should be fine. I usually get SanDisk Ultra cards and avoid Integral and PNY, though various cards even from the same manufacturer are so different in their read and write speeds, you are better off analysing sd card performance tables rather than choosing based upon a particular brand.

But as a general rule, most modern Class 10 cards should be fine. Class 4 and 6 are probably not to be recommended. Not sure if there is any benefit to getting UHS cards in this instance, there is no doubt someone better placed than me to answer that.
(01-24-2016, 07:29 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(01-24-2016, 06:10 PM)mronhb Wrote: please excuse the noob question but can anyone please recommend a good brand and class of micro sd card to buy to use with the PINE A64+ w/ 2GB SDRAM. I am very excited about receiving mine in March but very much wanting advice on the best micro sd card to buy. Any advice greatfully accepted thanks  Smile

I'm no expert, but most modern Class 10 micro sd cards should be fine. I usually get SanDisk Ultra cards and avoid Integral and PNY, though various cards even from the same manufacturer are so different in their read and write speeds, you are better off analysing sd card performance tables rather than choosing based upon a particular brand.

But as a general rule, most modern Class 10 cards should be fine. Class 4 and 6 are probably not to be recommended. Not sure if there is any benefit to getting UHS cards in this instance, there is no doubt someone better placed than me to answer that.

thanks heaps for the help and advice  Smile
Really, any Class 10 MicroSD card will work. As Skairk said above, there is not much point arguing for particular brands.

The A64 can't take advantage of the extra speed from UHS class cards. They'll work, but it's a waste of money.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(01-25-2016, 09:14 PM)fire219 Wrote: Really, any Class 10 MicroSD card will work. As Skairk said above, there is not much point arguing for particular brands.

The A64 can't take advantage of the extra speed from UHS class cards. They'll work, but it's a waste of money.

thanks for the advice very much appreciated   Smile
(01-25-2016, 09:14 PM)fire219 Wrote: Really, any Class 10 MicroSD card will work. As Skairk said above, there is not much point arguing for particular brands.

I was looking at UHS 3 class cards so I could get the best performance, what's the fastest that the A64 supports?
(01-27-2016, 09:37 AM)Icon5585 Wrote:

I was looking at UHS 3 class cards so I could get the best performance, what's the fastest that the A64 supports?

As I understand it, the Pine supports UHS cards, meaning they will work, but you won't get any performance benefits from using them. Seems like Class 10 is the way to go. If you want to get the best Class 10 card, you should maybe look into the read/write performance of individual cards. Performance even within a specified class can vary a lot.
Get a class10 card. I generally prefer Samsung, Transcend and Sony above Sandisk.
I find that for 'normal' cards, these brands outperforms Sandisk.

Samsung has the EVO, EVO+ and Pro versions so take note on that too.

For Sandisk, the good performing ones are usually the ones higher up on the scale. These cost way more than the other brands' normal ones so it doesn't justify the cost (at least for me).

Btw, if you are going to run Android and be playing games, I'll suggest a higher capacity card (>=32GB).
(01-28-2016, 06:04 PM)SkimMilk Wrote: Get a class10 card. I generally prefer Samsung, Transcend and Sony above Sandisk.
I find that for 'normal' cards, these brands outperforms Sandisk.

Samsung has the pro and pro+ versions so take note on that too.

For Sandisk, the good performing ones are usually the ones higher up on the scale. These cost way more than the other brands' normal ones so it doesn't justify the cost (at least for me).

Btw, if you are going to run Android and be playing games, I'll suggest a higher capacity card (>=32GB).

I have tried out both 128GB Samsung and Sandisk microSD card. Still not yet try out Sandisk 200GB one.
Here's a good deal for a 64GB card. Come with free Corel software. Price drops to $21 in cart.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8475403-64gb-son...e-shipping

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended kits to buy? Silk 1 3,219 12-06-2020, 11:28 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,949 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
  micro sd card won't insert Samuel Venable 2 4,386 09-01-2020, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Samuel Venable
  SD Card boot - trying out OS Baconomics 1 4,286 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  How to boot from the SD card and install to eMMC? ravanh 2 6,365 03-18-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  eMMC card on adapter Malmgren 8 11,000 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Malmgren
  corrupt microsd card after reboot maxpayne 6 9,884 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Last Post: maxpayne
  unable to write an pine64 image on a 16G micro suresh 2 5,274 01-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: suresh
  recommended micro sd card? Gustavo Woltmann 1 3,541 01-03-2017, 11:38 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  What is on the Micro SC card that came with the board? clawinus 1 3,625 11-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777