Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips
(02-08-2023, 09:02 AM)Piotr Wrote: 1/ My 1st experience was - issue with calls on 4G / Lte .  -> I forced phone to 3G only -> this has helped for connection to be established
2/ i noticed voice was low on regular call , but switching to loudspeaker  mode and then switching off loudspeaker mode was fixing  normal call audio
3/ Then for the quality of the audio (low internal mic sensitivity/gain , low internal speaker, low loudspeaker sound ) you can modify some mic gain , volume parameters in following files (i suggest to make a backup of originals Smile
/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/ HiFi.conf    [media playback profile  settings]
/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/VoiceCall.conf  [phone call profile setting]
microphone volume setting:
# Set capture volume to 0dB so modem audio doesn't overdrive the ADC
cset "name='ADC Capture Volume' 60"
cset "name='Mono ADC Capture Volume' 99"
speaker volume setting
# Limit amplification factor of earpiece amplifier so sound stays clear
cset "name='Class D SPK Ratio Control' 2.20x"
with above setting Phone call in normal mode works fine for me , but loudspeaker mode is not usable .

hi, any other suggestions for fixing loud (like white noise) whilst talking in a call?  I've followed these without an improvement. My voice sounds as I am in a rave but I am only inside my hole.
(05-10-2023, 08:26 AM)tookmeayear Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:02 AM)Piotr Wrote: 1/ My 1st experience was - issue with calls on 4G / Lte .  -> I forced phone to 3G only -> this has helped for connection to be established
2/ i noticed voice was low on regular call , but switching to loudspeaker  mode and then switching off loudspeaker mode was fixing  normal call audio
3/ Then for the quality of the audio (low internal mic sensitivity/gain , low internal speaker, low loudspeaker sound ) you can modify some mic gain , volume parameters in following files (i suggest to make a backup of originals Smile
/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/ HiFi.conf    [media playback profile  settings]
speaker volume setting
with above setting Phone call in normal mode works fine for me , but loudspeaker mode is not usable .

hi, any other suggestions for fixing loud (like white noise) whilst talking in a call?  I've followed these without an improvement. My voice sounds as I am in a rave but I am only inside my hole.
(05-11-2023, 08:51 AM)fxc Wrote:
speaker volume setting

Thank you, I have already installed Biktorgj's firmware and changed the config file as below. No improvement:

If microphone audio is too loud during phone calls ( distorted audio and lots of background noise from your side )
Then change the default value from 8 to 3 ( YMMV you may need to go a bit higher or lower, but 8 is way too much in my testing ).

I changed also

Also no improvement. Probably I am doing something wrong.
(05-12-2023, 12:50 AM)tookmeayear Wrote:
speaker volume setting

Thank you, I have already installed Biktorgj's firmware and changed the config file as below. No improvement:

If microphone audio is too loud during phone calls ( distorted audio and lots of background noise from your side )
Then change the default value from 8 to 3 ( YMMV you may need to go a bit higher or lower, but 8 is way too much in my testing ).

I changed also

Would suggest to open a bug report in the third link, if there is none there already. The FOSS firmware also has its own Matrix channel to discuss the issue but a bug report should be the priority IMO.
(05-12-2023, 07:04 AM)fxc Wrote:
speaker volume setting

I changed also

Would suggest to open a bug report in the third link, if there is none there already. The FOSS firmware also has its own Matrix channel to discuss the issue but a bug report should be the priority IMO.

megi is rewriting whole callaudio routing for PPP. Megi did wrote that to pinephone matrix group yesterday.
There is no eta - so don't expect that this becames ready in seconds.
I don't think bug reports help at the moment because megis work should fix them when the solution becames ready Smile
(05-12-2023, 07:58 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 07:04 AM)fxc Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 08:26 AM)tookmeayear Wrote: hi, any other suggestions for fixing loud (like white noise) whilst talking in a call?  I've followed these without an improvement. My voice sounds as I am in a rave but I am only inside my hole.

I changed also

megi is rewriting whole callaudio routing for PPP. Megi did wrote that to pinephone matrix group yesterday.
There is no eta - so don't expect that this becames ready in seconds.
I don't think bug reports help at the moment because megis work should fix them when the solution becames ready Smile

Thank you guys. I will open a bug report for reference and wait for the release. I haven't installed any megis kernel. Shall I give it a try? Does it worth it or do some issues already being addressed in the latest Mobian distros?
My pinephone pro has issues like the ones that other people are having: the outgoing call sound quality is harsh and full of static, but the incoming call sound quality is fine. Also, when I make a normal audio recording (not as a call) the audio quality is totally fine. (I'm using sxmo)

Are problems like these mostly limited to the PPP? If I get a normal pine phone, can I rely on it to have basic phone functionality working out of the box?
(12-02-2022, 11:19 AM)apink Wrote: This is an invitation for people to report on their experience getting audio to work on the pine phone pro during phone calls.   Please let us know the following:

1.  Are you able to get audio to work during phone calls?
  2.  If not, what are the specific problems you are having?
  3.  If so:
         a.  what operating system are you using?
         b.  what updates/tweeks need to take place after installing the OS in order for audio to work?

PinePhone Pro (bought Sunday 2-7-2023, order completed 5-7, shipped 6-7, received in Brussels Monday 11-7-2023).
Mobian (weekly) mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20230709.img.
I called my daughter who said hearing me very low, nearly not understandable. The incoming sound of her voice was perfect.
I read somewhere about using alsamixer, which I did. As a result, receiving a call, no sound at all (in and out).
I could not find a better way to revert the changes than reinstalling, this time mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20230606.img.
Same situation calling my daughter. I asked her to call me. Same problem with an incoming call: good voice from the other side, very weak from my side.
But there is some outgoing sound at least. (Answer to question 1: yes, but not satisfactorily.) How could I improve the sound from the microphone (in phone call mode) without breaking everything?
(07-12-2023, 02:13 PM)DominiqueM Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 11:19 AM)apink Wrote: This is an invitation for people to report on their experience getting audio to work on the pine phone pro during phone calls.   Please let us know the following:

1.  Are you able to get audio to work during phone calls?
  2.  If not, what are the specific problems you are having?
  3.  If so:
         a.  what operating system are you using?
         b.  what updates/tweeks need to take place after installing the OS in order for audio to work?

PinePhone Pro (bought Sunday 2-7-2023, order completed 5-7, shipped 6-7, received in Brussels Monday 11-7-2023).
Mobian (weekly) mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20230709.img.
I called my daughter who said hearing me very low, nearly not understandable. The incoming sound of her voice was perfect.
I read somewhere about using alsamixer, which I did. As a result, receiving a call, no sound at all (in and out).
I could not find a better way to revert the changes than reinstalling, this time mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20230606.img.
Same situation calling my daughter. I asked her to call me. Same problem with an incoming call: good voice from the other side, very weak from my side.
But there is some outgoing sound at least. (Answer to question 1: yes, but not satisfactorily.) How could I improve the sound from the microphone (in phone call mode) without breaking everything?

Fast fix is this:
https://gitlab.com/pine64-org/pine64-als...-/issues/5
After that change and reboot you will have decent mic out and no-one will not complain.
But unfortunately that is not enough in all scenarios:
https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports/-/issues/2016

And regarding to that second issue there is also "third" big issue which is related how callaudiod will handle microphone changes when you toggle speaker on (and off). I wrote something about that in that issue comments but I am not sure where that is coming from - is it ucm files or callaudiod or maybe modem?

I am trying to understand it and trying to make some solution what works but I am not best (or even good) person to do this so don't expect anything happen soon Big Grin
I do not like the idea of modifying in /usr because it is against the spirit of Linux and lost in upgrade. I would like to override only the 47 with 160, say in /etc. Suppose I write something as
SectionVerb {
EnableSequence [
cset "name='ADC Capture Volume' 160"
cset "name='Mono ADC Capture Volume' 160"
]
DisableSequence [
]
Value {
TQ "HiFi"
}
}
1. Will this override only the value 47 or override and break all of PinePhonePro.conf? 2. Where, under what name, in which file under /etc/alsa? (I never did such a thing in my life.)

Rules are rules… but I could not wait, so I did
sudo sed -i 's/47/160/g' /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/VoiceCall.conf
sudo sed -i 's/47/160/g' /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/HiFi.conf
and it works perfectly. Thanks to all the people who ever mentioned 47 and 160.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Calls: ALSA UCM config not making a difference with volume lightwo 0 72 05-07-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: lightwo
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 16 2,299 04-28-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Battery life thread: discussion, support and tips apink 6 2,116 09-22-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: tookmeayear
  Guide to Suitable Phone State Borealid 19 10,949 09-18-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: robocone
  Phone Attitude(Device orientation) lurkadillian 2 1,088 06-22-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: lurkadillian
  Any tips to improve the audio quality of calls on the PinePhone Pro? tux_life 2 1,577 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Mobian has new separate packages to support the PinePhone Pro mburns 22 7,658 04-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Pine Phone won't boot into recovery mode ninjapig26@gmail.com 3 1,846 02-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: fxc
  [Mobian] No return from locked phone arno_nuehm 1 1,061 02-06-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm
  Making and receiving calls via command line Zotax 0 851 01-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Zotax