Are there any usable/ stable distros for PBP?
Brick 
I tried stock and when updating with pacman it bricked.. I tried reinstalling the PBP ISO from Manjaro and it worked for a while then bricked again while updating..

Then tried Armbian and the Public Key has an error when being verified during apt update, but better than Manjaro as in no bricking, can even shut the PBP lid and go into sleep mode without bricking unlike in stock. Armbian forums are not supportive, the developer in the thread has the "You should pay me to explain how to fix" attitude.

Any suggestions for a next distro in my quest to make my PBP usable?
I would first look into PEBCAK Wink

I never had Manjaro break once in years of usage.
I've had it happen twice and I don't even use it. I presumed that it was due to updating after not updating for a long time.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
The fedora img is good. I've never had a problem with it!
I'm using Kali, running on the eMMC every day for work and it's been doing great; the tools work, as well as Libre office for reports. Using the sd card for storage atm and just picked up a 1TB NVMe drive to test out for complete overkill.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
Quote function isnt working for some reason here...

Not sure what PEBCAK saw only one other thread on this website where it was mentioned was not even in the context of it being a distro.

With Fedora and Kali can you close the PBP lid without it bricking? Hibernation? Screen tearing? Drunk mouse pad?

According to replies here Kali and Fedora appear to be the options now..
(10-20-2022, 01:36 PM)pineymousepad Wrote: Not sure what PEBCAK saw only one other thread on this website where it was mentioned was not even in the context of it being a distro.
it's a pejorative for "operator error"

I don't like Manjaru and I don't use it. But my wife does. And aside from one time hers getting bricked by an update (and mine once), it really does seem to be the most polished PBP experience, and seems to be all but always reliable. Make regular backups, no operating system is bomb-proof.

[ SRA accepts you ]
(10-20-2022, 02:34 PM)KC9UDX Wrote:
(10-20-2022, 01:36 PM)pineymousepad Wrote: Not sure what PEBCAK saw only one other thread on this website where it was mentioned was not even in the context of it being a distro.
it's a pejorative for "operator error"

I don't like Manjaru and I don't use it.  But my wife does.  And aside from one time hers getting bricked by an update (and mine once), it really does seem to be the most polished PBP experience, and seems to be all but always reliable.  Make regular backups, no operating system is bomb-proof.

It does feel the most polished, but I am using Armbian now and I can close the lid and it will go into sleep mode. If I use Manjaro and close the lid it will brick and I will have to charge it to 100 percent with the proprietary looking charge cable the PBP came with until I can even turn on the PBP again... I would consider Armbian more usable considering this most basic factor... Bizzarre how this isnt fixed for the stock OS.
You somehow messed up your Manjaro config. Sleep and hibernate was working last time I checked. Sounds more like it isn't hibernating at all and then discharges the battery completely.

As for "proprietary looking charge cable" you mean the barrel jack connector? That's about as non-proprietary and standard as it gets, you can literally buy them in any hardware store.
It does sound like that it what's happening.
Discharging the battery completely is problematic. I've found that when the battery is totally dead, it wouldn't charge from the barrel jack. Others have reported this, too. The solution seems to be to charge from USB-C. I find that once it starts charging that way, as long as it's charged a little, I can plug in the barrel plug and it will change that way, and turn on and operate.

Do be careful though; it seems that charging from both USB-C and the barrel jack at the same time can destroy the charging circuit.

[ SRA accepts you ]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Video Out on PBP on all major distros misha64 9 2,563 11-28-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: zaius
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,913 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Manjaro PBP stable update 2022-06-19 bricked wpeckham 2 1,577 06-30-2022, 10:03 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Network stacks no longer works on PBP - all distros IT-That-uses-Linux 0 1,312 08-03-2021, 01:15 PM
Last Post: IT-That-uses-Linux
  [Panfrost] now support stable OpenGL ES 3.1 rimaille 0 1,998 06-10-2021, 11:23 PM
Last Post: rimaille