Anyone yet received replacement sim/sd card holder
My PPP is borked over sim/sd card issues due to multidinous reinsertions of cards into holder.  Doesn't find sim or make calls as it once did.  The sim card is good as it works in PP.

Per the instructions of pinephone, it was stated that they will send you a new sim/sd card holder if you send your order number and a picture of the card to "pinephone support".  Have done that and no response that they will send a new card or that they even acknowledge receipt of my request.  Sent more than a month ago.

I admit that I took the picture myself and did not take phone to repair shop.  I'm not paying $100 to get a repair shop to send a picture.  I might pay them to install the part later but so far no progress on getting the part.  I might even install a new PPP board if those are ever available on PPP parts site.

So, anyone yet received a replacement sim/sd card holder as promised by pinephone?

thanks,       tom kosvic
(06-07-2022, 08:21 AM)tckosvic Wrote: My PPP is borked over sim/sd card issues due to multidinous reinsertions of cards into holder.  Doesn't find sim or make calls as it once did.  The sim card is good as it works in PP.

Per the instructions of pinephone, it was stated that they will send you a new sim/sd card holder if you send your order number and a picture of the card to "pinephone support".  Have done that and no response that they will send a new card or that they even acknowledge receipt of my request.  Sent more than a month ago.

I admit that I took the picture myself and did not take phone to repair shop.  I'm not paying $100 to get a repair shop to send a picture.  I might pay them to install the part later but so far no progress on getting the part.  I might even install a new PPP board if those are ever available on PPP parts site.

So, anyone yet received a replacement sim/sd card holder as promised by pinephone?

thanks,       tom kosvic

My sim card holder was busted as well. One of the pins had broken off. I took it to a repair shop my son suggested to me and 1 day later fixed for $25.00
Works fine now so I suggest if it is at all repairable by your local shop consider this cheap but excellent cost fix.
That stated I have done all the updates possible including towboot and quite a few things are fixed. The problem still remains that the output sound is seriously low regardless of speaker / internal setting and volume maxed out. Also the device still wants to sleep and >sometimes< requires a hard boot. Based on this and the fact that I use documents (important) etc not a reliable device at this time. PP Convergence is still my daily device with 100% reliability and I consider this device to be Pine64's "flagship"
(06-07-2022, 01:13 PM)Chief Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 08:21 AM)tckosvic Wrote: My PPP is borked over sim/sd card issues due to multidinous reinsertions of cards into holder.  Doesn't find sim or make calls as it once did.  The sim card is good as it works in PP.

thanks,       tom kosvic

My sim card holder was busted as well. One of the pins had broken off. I took it to a repair shop my son suggested to me and 1 day later fixed for $25.00
Works fine now so I suggest if it is at all repairable by your local shop consider this cheap but excellent cost fix.
That stated I have done all the updates possible including towboot and quite a few things are fixed. The problem still remains that the output sound is seriously low regardless of speaker / internal setting and volume maxed out. Also the device still wants to sleep and >sometimes< requires a hard boot. Based on this and the fact that I use documents (important) etc not a reliable device at this time. PP Convergence is still my daily device with 100% reliability and I consider this device to be Pine64's "flagship"

Would you be able to get the part number and name for the item your repair guy installed and post it here? Might break the broken sim/sd card log jam.

Good job.  My PP works infinitely better than my PPP which doesn't make calls.  I use that also.

thanks,       tom kosvic

Please open a support ticket at http://support.pine64.org on the replacement request.
(06-07-2022, 08:51 PM)tckosvic Wrote:

thanks,       tom kosvic

Would you be able to get the part number and name for the item your repair guy installed and post it here? Might break the broken sim/sd card log jam.

Good job.  My PP works infinitely better than my PPP which doesn't make calls.  I use that also.

No part number involved. As it was just the pin most pins will do fine as a replacement. In the forum another person has suggested that LG L4 sim card holder is a near perfect match to the PPP sim holder. I also mentioned that to the repair fellow. Although my PPP is fixed and I have a separate sim card in it the reliability is still vague. Sometimes it works great, the next day no sound on calls. But if I use sound recorder I always have sound playback. I'm guessing that before the PPP is a viable daily device might be another year or so yet before usable daily. All I do with mine is pull it out of the box, update, test a bit and then put away. Too bad considering the excellent speed it has.
(06-08-2022, 06:15 AM)Chief Wrote:

thanks,       tom kosvic

No part number involved. As it was just the pin most pins will do fine as a replacement. In the forum another person has suggested that LG L4 sim card holder is a near perfect match to the PPP sim holder. I also mentioned that to the repair fellow. Although my PPP is fixed and I have a separate sim card in it the reliability is still vague. Sometimes it works great, the next day no sound on calls. But if I use sound recorder I always have sound playback. I'm guessing that before the PPP is a viable daily device might be another year or so yet before usable daily. All I do with mine is pull it out of the box, update, test a bit and then put away. Too bad considering the excellent speed it has.

Thanks for repair info. You have much more patience than I.  I was so anxious to dump my 5 yr samsung android ASAP and get to a trackless environment with the PPP. that I put a big effort into trying OS/desktops and making adjustments with countless insertions of sd cards into the holder.  I added more than 125 messages to this forum when I was active.   I agree that it is a long way from a usable device; for me especially now that my sim card is not recognized as it once was.  I would buy a replacement motherboard if these were available to get around the sim card holder problem.  Last I looked, the PPP parts store only has 2 items in it; replacement pins and screws.  Big deal!
(06-08-2022, 08:07 AM)tckosvic Wrote:

thanks,       tom kosvic

Thanks for repair info. You have much more patience than I.  I was so anxious to dump my 5 yr samsung android ASAP and get to a trackless environment with the PPP. that I put a big effort into trying OS/desktops and making adjustments with countless insertions of sd cards into the holder.  I added more than 125 messages to this forum when I was active.   I agree that it is a long way from a usable device; for me especially now that my sim card is not recognized as it once was.  I would buy a replacement motherboard if these were available to get around the sim card holder problem.  Last I looked, the PPP parts store only has 2 items in it; replacement pins and screws.  Big deal!

Simply stated - beta. I also took a chance and bought the device early based on the fact that my PP works great. All I was looking for from PPP was the speed. I still have a Blackberry Classic which is also a secure device hence why governments around the world have used Blackberry. Now that Blackberry has rolled over into Android my BBC is now a table time piece. My Moto E4 I use for images as required but it never leaves the house. From the very start all I have wanted for the past 25 years is a device that is secure and can handle documents. In my opinion only the Librem and PinePhone can handle that task. I'm willing to hang in there and continue with these devices. I think it's worth the wait.
(06-08-2022, 01:05 PM)Chief Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 01:13 PM)Chief Wrote: My sim card holder was busted as well. One of the pins had broken off. I took it to a repair shop my son suggested to me and 1 day later fixed for $25.00

Simply stated - beta. I also took a chance and bought the device early based on the fact that my PP works great. All I was looking for from PPP was the speed. I still have a Blackberry Classic which is also a secure device hence why governments around the world have used Blackberry. Now that Blackberry has rolled over into Android my BBC is now a table time piece. My Moto E4 I use for images as required but it never leaves the house. From the very start all I have wanted for the past 25 years is a device that is secure and can handle documents. In my opinion only the Librem and PinePhone can handle that task. I'm willing to hang in there and continue with these devices. I think it's worth the wait.
Curious as to what OS/desktp combo you are using for PP.  Trying to avoid separate post asking this question in PP section of forum.
(06-10-2022, 07:44 AM)tckosvic Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 08:51 PM)tckosvic Wrote: Would you be able to get the part number and name for the item your repair guy installed and post it here? Might break the broken sim/sd card log jam.

Curious as to what OS/desktp combo you are using for PP.  Trying to avoid separate post asking this question in PP section of forum.

I use Lubuntu laptop and Arch linux PP
(06-10-2022, 10:03 AM)Chief Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 07:44 AM)tckosvic Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 06:15 AM)Chief Wrote: No part number involved. As it was just the pin most pins will do fine as a replacement. In the forum another person has suggested that LG L4 sim card holder is a near perfect match to the PPP sim holder. I also mentioned that to the repair fellow. Although my PPP is fixed and I have a separate sim card in it the reliability is still vague. Sometimes it works great, the next day no sound on calls. But if I use sound recorder I always have sound playback. I'm guessing that before the PPP is a viable daily device might be another year or so yet before usable daily. All I do with mine is pull it out of the box, update, test a bit and then put away. Too bad considering the excellent speed it has.

I use Lubuntu laptop and Arch linux PP

which desktop with arch.  Those available look to be: phosh, plasma, sxmo on the PP.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,391 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life
  PinePhone Pro Motherboard with sim card holder tckosvic 1 1,530 08-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Warning!!- sim card adapter destroyed my sim card holder on my pine phone pro ANDROID2468 11 7,276 06-15-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Replace PPP sim card/sd card slot hardware tckosvic 5 3,961 03-13-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: tckosvic
  How to remove the sim card liberty1234 6 4,088 02-16-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  SD Card insertion depth nristen 4 2,865 02-03-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: nristen
  Bent SD card pin bhboyle 5 3,344 02-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  SD card slot specs frimmel 3 2,655 01-27-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: bcnaz