Question about video acceleration
Hi,

maybe it has been explained many times in this forum, but I can not find it. Could someone explain to me why the video acceleration for kodi and similar software does not work on the current builds? Is it an issue of graphic drivers? What is the deal here. It is really hard to find condensed, good information about issues concerning the pine64 at the moment.
To keep a long and bit touchy story short and non-technical. There are currently no 64bit mali "graphics drivers" (called binary blobs) for linux at the moment. But there is a good chance this may change in the not-too-distant-future.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-01-2016, 03:09 PM)Luke Wrote: To keep a long and bit touchy story short and non-technical. There are currently no 64bit mali "graphics drivers" (called binary blobs) for linux at the moment. But there is a good chance this may change in the not-too-distant-future.

Its comments like THIS that make it touchy! You say "But there is a good chance ... in the not-too-distant-future."

How vague and unhelpful, you should point them to sunxi https://linux-sunxi.org/Main_Page Where there is actual information regarding the open sourcing effort in general with AllWinner, though I will say I do not know for sure if Mali infomation is in there. There have been many attempts to get Mali drivers this is not a new graphics core and those drivers have been a stopping point for MANY boards... do a few searches and you will start to see that support for this board is going to be hard to come by. Unless you can point to some "internet facts" that show allwinner or mali saying they are doing it or someone reputable within the community (NOT Pine64 community, the linux kernel community) believing that they are coming I say hold your breath and play the lottery!
I agree with nagmier!

This information about no video acceleration on the Pine has been very vague and hidden away in these forums.
For me video acceleration is critical for this board, I don't see much use for it at the moment

I guess I'll put my Pine away for now and continue to tinker with my RaspberryPi  Sad
ETA: year 2356.
It's sad to see that Pine64 owners don't have any control about this, they simply made a board and hoped that the community would make it perfect.
Glad you are both in agreement Wink 

For starters, my answer was meant to be adequate to BringItOn's general level of inquiry. Now, I will freely admit that it was clearly insufficient - BringItOn sought me out (its quite easy to get hold of me) and we chatted for a good 30 min. I provide him with articles about Allwinner, about the GPL violations, about the blobs, about the efforts made, about the challenges, etc. See, no harm done. 

Secondly, please check out this thread *and do note who was the first to ask the question*. I wouldn't call it hidden. Allwinner has now had a Linux build for some time - approx. 14 days - and they are looking into ways of making this happen. Now read that last line of my response to BringItOn's question again and confer with this source.  

Hope this helps

(06-02-2016, 05:22 AM)Luke Wrote: Glad you are both in agreement Wink 

For starters, my answer was meant to be adequate to BringItOn's general level of inquiry. Now, I will freely admit that it was clearly insufficient - BringItOn sought me out (its quite easy to get hold of me) and we chatted for a good 30 min. I provide him with articles about Allwinner, about the GPL violations, about the blobs, about the efforts made, about the challenges, etc. See, no harm done. 

Secondly, please check out this thread *and do note who was the first to ask the question*. I wouldn't call it hidden. Allwinner has now had a Linux build for some time - approx. 14 days - and they are looking into ways of making this happen. Now read that last line of my response to BringItOn's question again and confer with this source.  

Hope this helps

Thanks for linking some content! That post from lenny is 3 weeks old... if it hasn't happened yet I doubt it will, All we ever get it "I'm talking to them again..." My point is simple people keep asking about it, others keep saying "hold out hope" when its CLEAR AllWinner doesn't care about open sourcing or even supporting their chips beyond the exact use case (Operating System) they have... It was a poor choice in OEM vendor for the chip plain and simple... I learned my lesson, I'll never buy another AllLoser product again
I have several allwinner board.. same problem about gpu. I hope that pine64 isn't like them...
I hope you will excuse me nagmier and fneves, but "I told you so" Wink
*oh come'on, let me be childish for once!*
(BTW just to not have anyone up in arms - this IS a joke)

(06-23-2016, 09:54 AM)Luke Wrote: I hope you will excuse me nagmier and fneves, but "I told you so" Wink
*oh come'on, let me be childish for once!*
(BTW just to not have anyone up in arms - this IS a joke)

Heh. I'm just glad we have drivers for video acceleration now. Received my board but haven't been able to unbox it yet. Hoping to do so in the next couple of weeks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accelerated H.264 and HEVC video decoding with Cedrus longsleep 73 130,296 02-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Last Post: CaptainZalo
  Video wall? monty1 2 4,659 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: monty1
  Opinion Question nebbors 3 5,546 12-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: cootcraig
  Hardware acceleration hamzahbondok 8 11,592 10-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jkmooney
  General SBC question and Linux jkmooney 13 16,379 10-02-2016, 05:03 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  The sunxi transform module is very slow, how to do video rotation? jacklau 0 2,358 09-19-2016, 12:24 AM
Last Post: jacklau
  noob question: multiple services/static ip's on one nic w/ linux? rallar8 0 1,972 08-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Last Post: rallar8
  Video encoding h.265/HEVC tomaThoma 1 6,032 07-02-2016, 11:35 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Question about Ubuntu skardoska 12 15,651 04-15-2016, 12:10 AM
Last Post: skardoska
  Kernel Build Question frewind 2 4,652 04-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Last Post: frewind