Why is Manjaro so slow on pinephone?
And the waydroid in a container in the *same* manjaro system works like a charm?
Where is the bottleneck?
Traditionally, the biggest resource hog has almost always been the desktop environment (in the case of Pinephone, smartphone environment?), until Javascript started escaping the browser, but that aside.
The other issue is that Manjaro as a whole has become very bloated on both desktop and mobile over the recent years.
In that case I fully agree with Luke Smith on this; the more we do to make Linux "usable" to normies, the worse Linux becomes.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Try maybe the Lomiri version... Phosh and KDE Plasma are apparently still quite slow.
(10-24-2021, 08:13 AM)ryo Wrote: Traditionally, the biggest resource hog has almost always been the desktop environment (in the case of Pinephone, smartphone environment?), until Javascript started escaping the browser, but that aside.
The other issue is that Manjaro as a whole has become very bloated on both desktop and mobile over the recent years.
In that case I fully agree with Luke Smith on this; the more we do to make Linux "usable" to normies, the worse Linux becomes.

i don't think manjaro is that bad, although it may heavily depend on desktop environment being used. i like lxqt.

"linux usable to normies" can be thought two ways.
if devs make linux u.i. more easier to use for commoners, you might have a point. i definitely hate forced or automatic updates.

if we want normies to avoid big tech's data collection, then i think linux (not android) should be available to normies more.
(10-25-2021, 05:58 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i don't think manjaro is that bad, although it may heavily depend on desktop environment being used. i like lxqt.
Not saying Manjaro is bad per se, the very machine I'm using is running Manjaro just FYI.
But I do believe that the point he's making about including unnecessary stuff is a valid concern.
We already have Pacman and AUR, why do we need to add Pamac Octowhatever, Snapd, Flatpack, and multiple AUR helpers on top?
Why do we need to include Steam by default, even for those of us who play games outside of Steam?
He's also talking about multiple mutually incompatible file managers that come by default with Manjaro, although I never experienced that part.

I'm using i3 myself.
I've been considering to go to DWM for some time, but the lack of a functioning clock in the panel is just frustrating, so I keep moving back to i3 a few minutes after booting up DWM each time.

(10-25-2021, 05:58 AM)zetabeta Wrote: if we want normies to avoid big tech's data collection, then i think linux (not android) should be available to normies more.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple.
Those who are enslaved to big tech will use big tech anyway, even if you force Linux upon them by stripping them from being able to use any other OS.

You'll need to de-brainwash them from the big tech's programming first, or they'll demand big tech to be available in Linux.
I believe that it's a better idea for people in general to adjust to the already established community rather than the other way around.
Like, "everyone MUST go into a protective bubble to keep me safe" rather than "I must go into a protective bubble to keep myself safe", this is what ultimately destroys communities.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Mobian Phosh runs even slower than Manjaro Phosh Wink At least it feels much less responsive.

What do you think, will Arch run smoother than Manjaro (because it is less normie-optimized)?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where PinePhone Pro are Made Tony90 1 364 01-18-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  using Zoom on Pinephone andrew907 5 971 12-09-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  pinephone 3 ideas aular 2 683 11-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: aular
  Does pinephone allow you to repair your own device as easily as fairphone? unix21311 3 1,853 11-06-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Harolddavies0
  can i install mobian on pinephone? luofeiyu 2 1,233 10-15-2022, 07:31 AM
Last Post: user641
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 1,660 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311
Sad New PinePhone Mobian Weekly Image... No Boot photon 1 1,070 09-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: olyavi
  used PinePhone Mobian CE or PineTab CelynRollins 1 1,562 01-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Last Post: collierreinhold
  Are you OK with the size of the PinePhone? guenther 14 8,071 12-16-2021, 12:12 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  I SHOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED THE PINEPHONE Scooterman 5 4,432 12-09-2021, 06:52 AM
Last Post: ryo