SFOS 4.2
the flash-it script now builds sfos 4.2, with an option for encryption of the home directory (with a longer password) and the lockscreen problem has been solved. Work is progressing fast on an overhaul/update of ofono, which could finally give reliable calls. We are very near to daily driving, if you can do without a camera.
(09-17-2021, 10:53 AM)defactofactotum Wrote: the flash-it script now builds sfos 4.2, with an option for encryption of the home directory (with a longer password) and the lockscreen problem has been solved. Work is progressing fast on an overhaul/update of ofono, which could finally give reliable calls. We are very near to daily driving, if you can do without a camera.

Is there an email client and does the browser work now? It's been a bit since I played around with SFOS but I feel like I remember there being an issue with the browser? Either way, good to hear the progress!
(09-17-2021, 12:14 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: Is there an email client and does the browser work now? It's been a bit since I played around with SFOS but I feel like I remember there being an issue with the browser? Either way, good to hear the progress!

I've never tried the email client. The browser now works ok, not the fastest and laden with ads which is why I never use the browser either..there are ways to stop this but not so simple. Overall faster than before and a coherent UI, so way ahead of other pinephone OSs that have the unfortunate advantage of actually making calls.
At first - thanks for the new version and good news!
There is an e-mail client, you can set up accounts, download messages, view their preview and even send messages, but you can not still read messages - so no improvments here since previous SailfishOS versions.
Also first boot results still no mobile connection related icons in homescreen and in settings menu. Let's see if that improves with following restarts as it was in previous versions Big Grin
Edit: one warm and one cold reboot but no change. Even more - it seems that the SIM card (unlocked as usual) is not detected - so no calls and sms's Sad
Edit1: Disc encyption screen does not go away if No is selected (needs additional step) and it is repeating at every restart.
Hi, first, thanks for trying this out.

SIM/call issue on the current 4.2 build is known. If you do "zypper se -s ofono" you will see that there is another version of ofono with the name "pinephone_plugin" which is available to install. If you force zypper to install that version, you will have a better experience. The reason I didnt worry about installing it by default is that its not totally great yet. Outgoing calls work, SMS and data works, incoming works when the phone is awake, but when asleep, the call isnt detected even though the phone wakes up. We have a new dev on board who is currently looking at all the ofono problems, so the hope is to iron these out and make it great.
I'm pretty sure the camera and GPS will still work as well.
I also believe that there will be some adaptation of Waydroid.
Of course, that won't happen overnight. But when you see the progress SFOS has made so far.
The thing with the forcing of the Ofono installation I have not yet fully understood. But it's probably just as unnecessary as a firmware upgrade of the modem.
Adam Pigg posted  a video on the Telegram group PinePhone SFOS of waydroid on sfos...no networking yet but Erfan is working on it. Also a bump to a more recent Ofono is imminent.
The video was really cool.
When the Ofono gets an upgrade we will see how stable it is.
They want to try to bring Ofono to Plasma Mobile level.
:-) Now I just need the Camera & Network for an Android App (2 way authentication) and I would be happy :-).
If you want Android apps, then why not use an Android phone for that Wink If you like FOSS, the run LineageOS in it.
For me it seems that more important is to get at first all PinePhone hardware supported by SailfishOS Wink
But of course - porters and developers are free in their choices...
At the moment I use my wife's Android phone for this one app.
Unfortunately, this company does not offer hardware tokens.
I want to get away from the whole Android thing, so LineageOS is not an option for me.
Android in a sandbox would be an option for me.

I agree with you, though, more important things should be done with the Pinephone first.

Another quick question: does an SD card actually run in the Pinephone now? I don't have one here at the moment to test it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SFOS 4.5.0.19 improved call audio and camera defactofactotum 1 1,348 08-31-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: tllim
  SFOS 4.4.0.72, with calls defactofactotum 5 2,776 04-21-2023, 05:22 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  SFOS 4.3 wryun 4 3,412 03-25-2022, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Maus
  SFOS 4.1.0.24 aarch64 defactofactotum 5 5,248 08-13-2021, 12:13 AM
Last Post: acrux
  SFOS 4.0.1.48 defactofactotum 8 8,583 06-01-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: OhneZ
  Img now updated to sfos 3.4.0.24 defactofactotum 8 9,290 11-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Last Post: clover