Pinephone regulatory approval in Japan
I have seen the threads on FCC and CE testing where tllim kindly outlined the timing for regulatory approval testing.

I saw no mention of regulation in Japan which has its own regulatory framework... According to this: https://www.quectel.com/product/eg25g.htm the modem is apparently TELEC (Japanese approvals agency) approved already.

I understand that Japan may not be the largest target market, but I have chatted with a few individuals who are very interested in acquiring a pinephone but will not do so unless the Technical Conformity Mark [Image: giteki_news.jpg]  [in Japanese 技適 (giteki)]  is present somewhere on the device. Without this approval using the phone may be technically illegal or at least possibly so.

Could anyone from Pine64 kindly clarify the status of regulatory approval in Japan? If said regulatory testing has not yet been applied for, are there plans to do so and if so, is there any expected timeframe?

From my research, I have discovered that even devices that have not passed the regulatory framework can be used for development / experimental purposes for up to 180 days while testing is carried out so long as this "experimental" use is expressed to the appropriate authority - getting this experimental use licence is free of charge; although unfortunately I don't know about the price of the Technical Conformity Mark certification.

I live in Japan and am quite concerned that I may have to cancel my Braveheart order and that if this hurdle is not passed, and that myself and others will not be able to use the pinephone in the future either. This in turn might hinder the progress of multilingual support in the future with fewer language-specific bug reports being posted etc.

Some indication of what the future holds would be very much appreciated, and if approval is on the way, I'll be sure to spread the message as far and wide as I can.

In case they are useful, I found the following resources which have some information about applications / rules etc.:

TELEC site (in English) for application procedures https://www.telec.or.jp/eng/services/ter...index.html

Telecommunications Bureau of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications which details some things about mobiles (in English) https://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/e/adm/monit...mobile.htm

Messages In This Thread
Pinephone regulatory approval in Japan - by b.tomik - 12-30-2019, 11:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 7 575 Today, 05:56 AM
Last Post: aular
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 350 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 234 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 109,052 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,799 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 610 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,368 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 498 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,688 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,964 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma