Pinebook Pro: Is it an option for me?
Hey all,

This is my first post here so let me start with some background and a short introduction: I'm Markus, aged 41, father and husband (which means limited tinkering time) from Germany.

I do casual computing with Linux with distro hopping in the past, but mainly on Ubuntu flavors these days, since ~15 years.

I do buy my hardware on a rather tight budget, partly because for my needs 5 year old PCs are just good enough for my needs and in terms of "bang for the buck" and for environmental reasons.
My personal budget has been also very tight in the past. While it's much better now, I still don't dump my money as easily as before.

At the moment I am writing with a Thinkpad T400 that's 10+ years old, upgraded with an SSD and maxed out RAM, but with a dead battery which I'm not planning to replace anymore, so it will move to a stationary use in the house.

It's time for something new and more mobile (read: smaller, less weight and a working battery) as the main machine. I was considering a used Thinkpad X240 as next machine for a daily driver when I got aware of the Pinebook Pro which would come at a similar price tag.

A Pinebook Pro would be my first serious ARM based computer apart from my aging Android phone and a raspberry pi behind my TV, but I find myself seriously considering it.

So I collected some Pros and Cons:

Pros:
-drastically lighter than my current thinkpad, slightly lighter than the X240
-Small device but with a decent screen similar to X240
-Looong battery life thanks to low power consuption
-USB-C connectivity
- I don't need tons of storage, there's a NAS for that in the attic Wink
- I'm really curious to try something new

(possible) Cons:
- Compatibility issues with Applications (and also games) I can use today(?)
- the ARM variants are not as universally compatible as x86 architecture, so
-- much smaller choice of Linux distributions
-- no practical option to continue using Ubuntu(?) which I frequently return to these days
- Can this "just work" for me or will I have to fiddle around frequently?

The list could surely be longer, but I think it's time to consult the community now:

- Did I make fairly accurate assumptions above?
- According to your experience, also with the first Pinebook, what does or does NOT work for you? That could really help to set my expectations straight...

Thanks in advance, Markus

Messages In This Thread
Pinebook Pro: Is it an option for me? - by Damage Inc. - 10-19-2019, 12:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions kunger 443 592,830 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 2,331 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 415 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 315 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 303 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 240 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 693 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 775 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,670 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,283 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt