Favourite desktop environment discussion
The pinetab2 is a bit of a unique device. It is a tablet sized device, however it also comes with a keyboard and trackpad and a full linux install. This places it as something that isn't quite a regular desktop and isn't quite a mobile experience.

Because of its novelty I want to start a discussion on which desktop environment do users prefer so far, between plasma/KDE, plasma mobile, PHOSH*, LXDE, or any others. I would appreciate hearing what DE you used and any comments you may have.

For me the default is always KDE as I have used it since 3.0, although for the pinetab2, it felt somewhat sluggish and not very well adapted to using both tablet and keyboard features. While in theory touchscreen gestures from the screen edges and the automatic keyboard popup is fantastic, depending on what is open the touchscreen gestures don't always work or have a decent delay to them.

Currently trying PHOSH and find it much more responsive, touchscreen gestures are quick and work consistently. However the downsides are the display of all applications is already too big. A desktop install will simply have many more applications than most mobile devices, in practice starting applications using alt-f2 is just more practical.

I have not used an external monitor for the pinetab2, I imagine that would again change the consideration of DE.

* a working trial of phosh may be installed from the default danctnix repositories as simply as
Code:
sudo pacman -S phosh phosh-mobile-settings gnome-control-center-mobile
then log out and log back in and phosh is available.

Messages In This Thread
Favourite desktop environment discussion - by FortunateFowl - 08-18-2023, 05:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No desktop after latest updates (Jun 16, 2023) rqkeating 5 1,741 06-21-2023, 04:16 PM
Last Post: rqkeating
  Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland peperjohnny 49 60,858 06-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: peperjohnny
  PineTab Mobian LXDE desktop fjord 0 2,275 02-24-2021, 06:32 PM
Last Post: fjord
  libertine and desktop apps m4xx3d0ut 2 4,198 09-15-2020, 12:07 AM
Last Post: peperjohnny