How to install Plasma Mobile in Archlinux
How to install Plasma Mobile with the original factory Archlinux from danctnix.

Install Plasma

First off, there is a meta package danctnix/danctnix-pm-ui-meta for plasma-mobile, hoever when installing it I got errors:
Quote:error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
plasma-mobile-settings: /etc/skel/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini exists in filesystem (owned by danctnix-plasma-desktop-settings)
plasma-mobile-settings: /etc/xdg/kwinrc exists in filesystem (owned by danctnix-plasma-desktop-settings)
plasma-mobile-settings: /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/90-powerdevil.hook exists in filesystem (owned by danctnix-plasma-desktop-settings)
plasma-mobile-settings: /usr/share/maliit/keyboard2/devices/plasmamobile.json exists in filesystem (owned by danctnix-plasma-desktop-settings)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
error: could not set install reason for package plasma-mobile-settings (could not find or read package)
-> error installing repo packages
It turns out this comes from the package plasma-mobile-settings. 

So, to install Plama Mobile you install the relevant packages from the meta package without the plasma-mobile-settings.

This is the list that worked for me:
Code:
pacman -S danctnix/plasma-mobile
pacman -S plasma-mobile-nm
pacman -S iio-sensor-proxy
pacman -S plasma-nano
pacman -S danctnix/plasma-mobile-sounds
pacman -S plasma-settings
(the rest is already installed)
Edit: added package plasma-settings. Thanks Frtodd

Log out and  you can choose Plasma Mobile as an option on the logon screen (at the bottom).

Plasma mobile works quite well with the Pinetab2.
Some finetuning would probably help. Especially as the plasma-mobile-settings are not there. It works anyway, though.

Install Mobile Apps

On the Plasma Mobile page is a list of mobile friendly apps.

I have found these helpful:
  • kclock (clock)
  • kweather (weather app)
  • qmlkonsole (mobile terminal)
  • PlasmaTube (youtube frontend)
  • AudioTube (youtube music app)
  • Vvave (music app)
  • Fractal (matrix client, works so so with mobile)
  • NeoChat (matrix client, works so so with mobile)
  • Edit: Tokodon (Mastodon client)
  • Edit: Index  (file manager)

Edit:
Here is a description of Plasma Mobile Configuration options:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=18457

Edit2:
On first use on you Login Screen (Display manager is sddm) you have to change the Desktop environment to Plasma Mobile
Thank you for posting this. I'm definitely going to give it a swing.
This is terrific Surehand53: my #pinetab2 has the UI of a tablet, rather than a small laptop!

Swipe left to get a list of app's.

Swipe down to get a super-handy settings panel.

To install the mobile-oriented settings app:
Code:
sudo pacman -S plasma-settings

As opposed to "System Settings" which came installed on the #pinetab2 as shipped, this adds a "Settings" app which is more mobile oriented. Especially notable (to me) is a modern wifi network chooser that will look familiar to those used to choosing one on their phones.
Great find. I have added plasma-settings to the guide
I followed your instructions - and it worked! However, I tried to make some changes to the desktop, and after that the app-drawer disappeared, the OS looks like the desktop version. Are there any recommendation how to return to the initial layout?

Thank you, and kind regards
Stefan
(08-09-2023, 09:39 AM)stefan_hdb Wrote: I followed your instructions - and it worked! However, I tried to make some changes to the desktop, and after that the app-drawer disappeared, the OS looks like the desktop version. Are there any recommendation how to return to the initial layout?

Stefan

I am not really clear what your problem is. Could you describe it a bit more.
(08-12-2023, 12:49 AM)Surehand53 Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 09:39 AM)stefan_hdb Wrote: I followed your instructions - and it worked! However, I tried to make some changes to the desktop, and after that the app-drawer disappeared, the OS looks like the desktop version. Are there any recommendation how to return to the initial layout?

Stefan

I am not really clear what your problem is. Could you describe it a bit more.

The problem was, that the mobile desktop (i.e. the grid of apps) disappeared completely, as a result of changing something with the background. However, I wiped out / re-installed the software as described above, and everything is o.k.
So is this also for pinephone. Meaning i can go from phosh to plasma?
(02-15-2024, 07:48 AM)aular Wrote: So is this also for pinephone. Meaning i can go from phosh to plasma?

In principle yes.
You have to make sure that all relevant packages mentioned here are available.

Also the original guide is for Archlinux. You need to check if there are any differences with your distro.
But in principle it should work.
So i did follow the instructions and no change happened on the phone. am i missing something? im still seeing posh as the layout.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plasma Update broken? Corkonian 0 568 11-03-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Corkonian
  Plasma Mobile configuration Surehand53 0 1,233 07-05-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Download new plasma widgets error Corconegre 1 977 06-26-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Install or test EndeavourOs distribution genobraker 3 1,357 06-22-2023, 11:34 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland peperjohnny 49 60,392 06-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: peperjohnny
  Pine tab with phosh or plasma? dhosh 3 5,529 12-24-2020, 02:05 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com
  Possible install & use Thunderbird or Evolution firefox-58 2 4,545 11-09-2020, 12:07 PM
Last Post: hanscees