Does DactNix Arch Linux support my use case?
(05-14-2023, 06:50 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: It is unfortunate that they already stopped producing the original PineTab (and no longer have any in stock either), since it will be a while until the PineTab 2 is ready for prime time.

The one that people have experience with (the original PineTab) is unfortunately no longer being sold.

Ok, I understand.
On this website it says that the PineTab 2 is Pre-Order, Delivery Mid-May. It is Mid-May already. So if I order it now, I should get it soon, right? I live in California.
https://pine64.com/product/pinetab2-10-1...-keyboard/

I just want to know what are other people's experiences with the PineTab 2 and it's pre-installed OS. Have you been able to watch videos on it? How is the user experience?

There are several reasons why I an leaning to be an early adopter of this tablet.
  1. I want to get it for the reasonable (for me) community edition price of $200.
  2. If the cameras, microphone, and wifi aren't implemented yet, that's only a plus for me, as I don't want to have that kind of functionality. I just need it to play videos, and not spying or tracking me wherever I go.
  3. I'm a nerd. If it's a medium difficulty level project, not too hard for me, I could learn something new about Linux.
  4. I need one for the summer, on a short time frame. I can't wait for several months. I need it within a month at most.

If I buy the tablet now, the hardware is completed correct? It's only the software that's in development? And if they release an updated version of the OS, I can always replace the current pre-installed version with the new version, is that right? I mean in the case that videos aren't implemented yet, or wouldn't work as I want them to.

Does anyone have experience compiling open source software from Github onto Arch Linux OS? I wonder if it comes with all the compiler tools?

(05-14-2023, 07:18 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: It's Arch.  Arch is a very divisive thing.  You either absolutely hate it, or you claim to absolutely love it.  Arch is not Ubuntu.

I would expect it can run 'mplayer'.  But you're likely to find the PineTab underpowered if you're used to typical modern x86 systems.

Ok so here I found the SMPlayer: Media Player++ which is based on the MPlayer media engine. Do you think that it is runnable?
https://itsfoss.com/smplayer/
It has all the features that I expect from a video player, such as a slider for arbitrary jumping around the video. If I don't understand something in a lecture I want to rewatch that part only. I don't want to go through the entire video again.

It looks like there's an Arch package for the SMPlayer.
https://software.opensuse.org/download.h...tsfoss.com
The binary package is called smplayer-21.8.-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
Would it be runnable on an ARM system though?

Or they reccomend using pacman. Can I curl the file onto my PC, then transfer it onto the tablet using USB, and then run the pacman command to install it locally on the ARM tablet DactNix Arch Linux, using the tablet's integrated terminal?
How would you reccomend me to install this software?
Can I use this link for aarch64?
https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/smplayer

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does DactNix Arch Linux support my use case? - by BlueGalaxy - 05-14-2023, 07:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch Linux (danctnix) virtual keyboard layout change cudo 0 703 09-27-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: cudo
  Arch Linux ARM on PineTab 1 Danct12 25 29,837 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland peperjohnny 49 60,235 06-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: peperjohnny
  Arch and ZRam wd5gnr 4 8,442 12-03-2020, 04:37 AM
Last Post: tomoqv
  Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! wd5gnr 3 6,455 11-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: hanscees
  Any way to disable wake on power connect/full charge? (Arch) quipacorn 3 5,601 10-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Last Post: quipacorn