Does DactNix Arch Linux support my use case?
(05-14-2023, 04:01 PM)diederik Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 03:29 PM)fxc Wrote: Video decoding is probably not working very well and not in all applications (https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Quartz64_De...ing_Status).

For both VLC and MPV it would only use CPU based decoding. Both use ffmpeg and VLC hasn't even transitioned to ffmpeg 5 and from that Upstreaming Status page you can see that there's not much progress wrt Hardware based decoding ... for 2.5 years now.

I see on that page it says
Video Decode  GStreamer only, no ffmpeg[7]

So if both VLC and MPV use ffmpeg, then they won't work?

Also on that same page it says

Current Status
Working
  • eMMC
  • SDMMC0 (SD cards)
  • GMAC (Gigabit Ethernet)
  • USB 2.0
  • SATA 2
  • SATA 3
  • UART
    • UART 0 (Pi-bus)
    • UART 1 (Bluetooth)
    • UART 2 (Pi-bus, debug)
  • Video Decode
    • VP8
    • H.264
  • Video Encode
    • JPEG (it's pretty bad)
  • Battery
  • GPU
  • Audio
    • Analog audio works
    • SPDIF works
    • HDMI works
  • SPI — works, user needs to modify device tree to add devices
  • I2C — works, user needs to modify device tree to add devices

I am interested in the Video Encode, Video Decode, and Audio sections.
Can you explain what these terms are, what does this mean? If I have an application video player, would it be runnable under current configurations?

(05-14-2023, 02:43 PM)fxc Wrote: Those mentioned operating systems are not available on the PineTab2, the user thought you ask about the regular PineTab.

On this website I can see two kinds of Pinetabs:
https://pine64.com/product-category/pinetab/

There is the PINETAB2, the ARM version, which has a DectNix Arch Linux already installed.
And there is the PINETAB-V, the RISC-V version, which has no OS installed?

Are you suggesting that I should get the one without the OS, and install one of the OS's mentioned above onto it? It it hard to do for someone who has an intermediate level of Computer Science knowledge? Basically, does one need to be a Senior Engineer in order to install an OS onto that device, or can I figure it out by myself, using the documentation, ChatGPT, and this forum as assistance?
(05-14-2023, 02:43 PM)fxc Wrote: Those mentioned operating systems are not available on the PineTab2, the user thought you ask about the regular PineTab.

Please do not consider the PineTab2 at this point any further, it hasn't even shipped yet and is in an very early software state, including buggy WiFi, lack of Bluetooth, lack of working cameras and probably a lot more issues.

Please do not consider the PineTab2 at this point any further, it hasn't even shipped yet and is in an very early software state, including buggy WiFi, lack of Bluetooth, lack of working cameras and probably a lot more issues.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does DactNix Arch Linux support my use case? - by BlueGalaxy - 05-14-2023, 06:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch Linux (danctnix) virtual keyboard layout change cudo 0 740 09-27-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: cudo
  Arch Linux ARM on PineTab 1 Danct12 25 30,031 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland peperjohnny 49 60,738 06-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: peperjohnny
  Arch and ZRam wd5gnr 4 8,477 12-03-2020, 04:37 AM
Last Post: tomoqv
  Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! wd5gnr 3 6,485 11-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: hanscees
  Any way to disable wake on power connect/full charge? (Arch) quipacorn 3 5,639 10-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Last Post: quipacorn