Pinephone 64 Issues of a new user US Notheast as of April 2022
(04-30-2022, 06:23 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: It's not that you 'have' to learn your way around the shell, etc. it's that doing so makes it easier to figure out what went wrong when things go off the rails.  Sort of like being able to fix your own car (or anything else).  Yes that takes time and effort, but it gets easier with time.  And (IMHO) worth it.

And, all due respect, it's a (IMO very healthy) aspect of the DIY/hacker ethos.  To try and figure things out, to take them apart, to learn etc.  The whole world is full of consumers who just want to buy and use things.  But at what cost?  I will respectfully submit you to consider that is a lot of what have led to our current dependence on (and dominance of) big tech.

Anyway, can't we have our little tiny corner of the Internet, where users are expected to invest at least some amount of their own time and effort trying to learn?  You are free to use the other 90% (or whatever it is) of the Internet (/hardware/software) if you don't agree.  When in Rome...

Thanks for your reply TRS-80. TRS-80 man I am old "Look it spelled Hello World" LOL!!

Well, I was warned so not complaining, got the Pine Phone Pro, got the Tow Boot thing going and tried a few OS and as I was warned its not ready for prime time yet. Put it away and will wait patiently.  The big downfall for me was the battery burn-down time. The Phone Mute worked!! but the battery was a no go for me. I know folks are hard at work at it. Thank you to you folks working this!! Much gratitude and will donate when and where I can!

The good news is the Simple Mobile SIM just works! In both phones, plug and play!

Pulled out the Pine 64 with Mangero Phosh on it. Working well. My only issue is the phone Mute not working.  The awesome dude named Phil is working it as I looked at the Gnome Calls site and he chimed in there.  I am hopeful soon it will work as for work I need a mute when on conference calls.  Ordered a headset with an actual mute button that I think breaks the wire connection. I'm itching to ditch the iphone ASAP!  My iphone SE2 is a love hate, love the phone, hate Apple.

For an old timer like me the Pine64 fits my needs and will wait it out for the Pro to catch up. It is exciting that a Linux Phone is so dang close to being a real option!! With that is fear, fear it will go "mainstream". So yes to "our own little corner", nothing to see here, just move on" Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pinephone 64 Issues of a new user US Notheast as of April 2022 - by scrwbigtek - 05-03-2022, 04:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 7 596 Yesterday, 05:56 AM
Last Post: aular
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 356 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 241 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 109,272 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,808 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 613 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,376 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 503 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,712 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,986 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma