Pinebook Pro refuses to boot from eMMC
(12-09-2020, 12:18 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:33 AM)pivic Wrote: Thanks a lot for your time, effort, and patience with myself, being a complete noob.

You're not rude at all; I should have been clear: I don't know Linux much, and even though I've now read up a lot about U-boot.

Firstly, the bind/mount commands didn't mount anything. I performed an lsdsk, which actually listed the eMMC, but still.

Secondly, I ran Mr. Fixit's script as sudo:

[Image: H0XxJpi.png]

Reboot did nothing: eMMC switch was in the correct position (towards the hinge) so eMMC wasn't turned off. I couldn't boot Pinebook Pro from the eMMC, but it could boot from SD.

Thirdly, I retried the script:

[Image: XvvETH9.png]

That did nothing either; the same result as mentioned at my second attempt (as mentioned in this post).

Fourthly, I did this:

[Image: 2jzMxQd.png]

After that little manoeuvre, the computer won't start at all, not from SD nor eMMC. I'm guessing I've now either completely bricked the computer or something else is the matter. At any rate, this computer is becoming my Joker's Origin Story, but I could have myself to blame completely, which I naturally accept. Desperation has brought me to this moment.  Tongue

Any help at this point would greatly be appreciated.
You're on the right path in that last image.

judging from the lsblk output, the emmc was bound and mountable. I goofed there. Binding will make it visible to the PBP again, so it can be mounted, but you don't necessarily need it mounted for this.

Concerning the dd commands you ran:
1. it'll need to be run with sudo.
2. do NOT include any partitions. you used mmcblk1p1, but you should be using mmcblk1. Look at the commands given on the page for pcm720's uboot that i linked previously.
3. don't bother with the SPI img. get rid of it, it's considered unstable even for those that know what they're doing, and it won't work on the emmc (it's made specifically for the PBP's SPI.) you write that to the wrong place, and you'll likely need to rewrite your emmc.

If your Debian SD won't boot, I'd just rewrite it. Easiest/fastest way to get it back up and booting.

Thanks a lot for your kind response.

Since I did all that I described there, the computer won't boot at all, which is a shame. I've tried maybe ten different distributions and versions—all, according to the Pine64 software-wiki page, OK for boot via SD/eMMC—but sadly, the computer won't start at all.

By this, I mean there's no starting lights going on at all. The only light that comes on is the red light that goes on when the machine is charged; I left it charging for a few hours, both via the Pine64 charger and via USB-C, so I'm quite sure the battery's charged.

I tried using the reset button, and nothing happens. I've used three different MicroSD cards (which have all worked on the computer in the past).

Either the computer is fed up with me, I've destroyed its ability to boot from MicroSD by what I've done so far, or there's another way to salvage this. I hope you guys feel the energy to come up with some kind of tip because I'm at my (already tiny) wit's end here. Please, if you can, run a tip by me. Thanks.

(12-09-2020, 12:46 PM)wdt Wrote: Don't write uboot or idbloader or trust to any partitions NOT mmcblk1p1,,
unless you have made those partitions in EXACTLY the right place
ie, 64 sectors, 8M, 12M (and a raw write, obviously no filesystem)
Normally, partitions start at 16M (32768 sectors) or more after start of device,
the 1st 16M is for mbr and uboot files

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind next time I might destroy a hard-drive sector or two.  Angel

Messages In This Thread
Pinebook Pro refuses to boot from eMMC - by pivic - 12-08-2020, 05:59 AM
RE: Pinebook Pro refuses to boot from eMMC - by pivic - 12-10-2020, 07:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions kunger 443 588,082 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 2,288 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 395 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 297 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 287 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 222 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 671 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 735 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 830 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 290 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419