An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro
(02-09-2020, 01:42 PM)ThatGeoGuy Wrote: Oh man, this seems gnarly. Given that I had barely any mods on the install itself (mesa-git, bluetooth from manjaro, and from testing->sid), I think I might be better off just re-installing, which seems like far less effort, given how simple the installer is. There was a time where I would actually do something like this, but I get the sense that this would be a mistake here, in terms of time tradeoff. Most of the relevant data for my home dir / configuration files were on an external SD anyways. That said, I would really like to get to the bottom of why this happened. I fear others' systems on sid may meet similar fates, given that I did not do much with the system and this happened.
Yes - if you don't have a significant investment in the existing config, and saved home? That's the exact right trade-off!
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
(02-09-2020, 01:03 PM)ThatGeoGuy Wrote: I had been using this installer with Debian Sid for some time (with encrypted disks). It was working fine, but I booted into it yesterday and got the following error:

> libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work
> Aborted

this happens whenever I try to decrypt my disk, so even if I put the right password in, it fails every time. Has anyone using LUKS seen something like this at all? Is there a quick fix or is re-installing the solution?

I am using sid with luks and haven't had this issue. I have a full build environment installed, however and a custom 5.5 kernel.

in addition to Jeremiah's comment, you could also try extracting the library from the package and placing into the partition, and then --reinstall install once booted.

you can also edit the extlinux config to get the system to boot and then make adjustments after booting.
(02-09-2020, 04:53 AM)jpakkane Wrote: I reinstalled Debian from scratch with KDE. The login manager still does not work, but if you log in via the console and start the gui with "startx" it works (though after a while you'll probably get a Panfrost crash). Maybe the issue is related to Wayland usage?

upthread,,,  modprobe.blacklist=panfrost  ,, (end of kernel line in extlinux.conf)
Seems to work, makes kde feasible, otherwise black screen often
mesa-git solves the issues with mesa 19.3.x packages, and kernel 5.5 includes numerous panfrost fixes.

...apologies for the repeated comments, but folks can solve these issues with minimal effort.
(02-08-2020, 12:15 PM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 10:09 AM)moonwalkers Wrote: To be fair, without LVM you can't do things like shutdown your laptop, replace your HDD/SSD, connect the old one with USB adapter, start your laptop from the old drive over USB, start migration, keep working as usual while migration is going on, then once it is finished just unplug the old drive in the middle of some build job or whatnot and shortly afterwards just suspend your laptop, throw it into backpack and get on your way. Without LVM even if the sequence is much simpler you're kinda stuck with either a lengthy downtime while the old drive is being cloned to a new one or with multiple rounds of rsync runs and shorter but still an extra downtime.
I completely endorse and agree. I wish there were high-level workflows canned, to do exactly what you describe!

Well, the reason could be that not all LVM setups are anywhere near the same from semantic viewpoint. I mean, there is a multitude of all kinds of different topologies possible with LVM, and they can range from something rather simple to something like the layered cake of LVM/LUKS/LVM setup that I like to use and beyond. At the same time, for me the migration script involves merely nine commands, out of which first three are for partitioning the new drive, the other three are for dealing with the EFI system partition, and only the remaining three are directly LVM-related (I don't immediately expand the volumes when moving to a bigger SSD, not until I actually need the extra space).
ehhhh I prefer a separate luks /home to simplify all these things...

want to blow away root? go for it. no issues.
(02-10-2020, 07:54 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: ehhhh I prefer a separate luks /home to simplify all these things...

want to blow away root? go for it. no issues.

I prefer separate LVM volume for / and separate LVM volume for /home. Both under LVM in LUKS. / can be blown away without affecting anything else, but why do that when most of the time fixing the system doesn't really take that much longer than reinstalling (if you understand what you're doing) and then on top of that you may even learn something new?
while testing you can install anything you want and easily remount /home.

I haven't found lvm to solve a problem for me, but it could easily be a lack of understanding on my part.
Question 
I have started playing around with this installer, and set up a minimal Bullseye (no tasks) on an SD card.

How do I go about configuring WiFi on this minimal setup so I can start adding components?

Also I noticed that the minimal setup is missing basic things like a shutdown or poweroff command, how can I add these at the time of installation?
(02-12-2020, 03:58 AM)dumetrulo Wrote: I have started playing around with this installer, and set up a minimal Bullseye (no tasks) on an SD card.

How do I go about configuring WiFi on this minimal setup so I can start adding components?

Also I noticed that the minimal setup is missing basic things like a shutdown or poweroff command, how can I add these at the time of installation?

I believe you will just need the "wpasupplicant" and "network-manager" packages. With those installed, the "nmtui" command is a ... usable way of getting networking set up without a DE.

"shutdown", "poweroff", and "reboot" are in the "systemd-sysv" package, but they're just meaningful symlinks to the "systemctl" command, which is the shiny new way of ordering shutdown and whatnot. I believe "systemctl shutdown" will shut down the system without those links, but I will continue using the old commands until the sun goes nova.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,285 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,800 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,228 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,322 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 89,806 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,326 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 4,143 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,614 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,469 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,546 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock