3 days in, slow/stuck or no boot.
Very glad to receive Pinebook Pro last Thursday June 27th.
Quite cautious with it- no new OS installs as am new to Pine products and fairly new to Linux.Sunday, June 30, Pinebook pro boots to Manjaro images. After a few hard reboots, Manjaro image, again. Press escape.
Received the message below. Hard re boot again to black screen and no Manjaro image. Unsure how to proceed. Please advise? Apologies if this was discussed previously

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

There should be a sticky somewhere for this. The U-Boot that comes with Manjaru will only let you boot Manjaru. So without other acrobatics, the best way to deal with this is to durable the eMMC, boot from your SD card, switch the eMMC back on during boot, and wipe it out (deleting the Manjaru install).

By the way, it's been discussed dozens of times. But I don't fault you; it's hard to find. Which is why we need a sticky to one of the posts that describes this problem and solution in better detail.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]

Everyone wants me to quit using NetBSD
Just as the msg says, it wants a fsck, likely .... fsck -fy /dev/mmcblk2 ,,,,
run ..... fdisk -l ... to be sure mmcblk2 is correct
OR ls -l /dev/mmcblk*
As above, manjaro's uboot is defective since it won't boot from SD, maybe that has changed?
Thank you to @KC9UDX and @wdt for the kind responses.

Am working on it!
Cheers
Correction... /dev/mmcblk2 is the WHOLE emmc
fsck is run on a partition,, as so.... /dev/mmcblk2p2
sorry, typing too fast
BTW, to change uboot, if you know how to use dd, you don't have to open case
Save mbr (1 or 34 sectors depending) save 1st 16MB (on usb stick)
blank 1st 16MB, restore mbr,,, so the only uboot will be on SD card
IT WILL NOT BOOT IF NO SD card is inserted (and likely only boot from SD)
Later, when you choose a different uboot, copy from SD card to emmc, restore emmc mbr
(or restore original if you wish)
But if you don't know how to use dd , don't do this
Flashed tow-boot to Pinebook pro. It worked!
Then, attempted to flash Manjaro KDE Plasma (What I was trying to do was use Manjaro from SD to correct the fcsk). And then Armbian. Neither of those software images/distros came-up; however, Postmarket Plasma did so! Then, I couldn't log in, at all. My password wasn't recognized.
Is it necessary to correct the fcsk with Manjaro sd or could I install Postmarket OS onto emmc with tow-boot and use this as operating system?
How would I flash Postmarket OS as my operating system when I can't even log in ( it says Linux user not my pinebook pro name? Is there a generic password I ought to use in such a case?)
I'm excited that I could get Pinebook Pro going, again, and would love to use it as a daily driver, but need further advice or instructions, please.
Thank you.
if you didn't create the pmOS img on your SD using pmbootstrap, then try these credentials: user/147147

you shouldn't have to do anything with the Manjaro install if you want to replace it with pmOS. Once you log into pmOS, you can use the IMG originally used for the SD, or pmbootstrap, and overwrite the Manjaro install on the eMMC.
(07-24-2024, 09:58 AM)tophneal Wrote: if you didn't create the pmOS img on your SD using pmbootstrap, then try these credentials: user/147147

you shouldn't have to do anything with the Manjaro install if you want to replace it with pmOS. Once you log into pmOS, you can use the IMG originally used for the SD, or pmbootstrap, and overwrite the Manjaro install on the eMMC.

Thank you!
Am experiencing some difficulty getting pmOS to eMMC.
Seems there could be a boot partition error & am reading more about it, now. https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
I get the message, ''Card did not respond to voltage select! :110'' when trying to flash eMMC. When flashing from Lexar 32 G SD in Sandisk Mobilemate+ reader then it goes to pmOS. When I put the SD card into the Microsd slot on PBP, then it tries very hard to boot into pmOS with its logo appearing but the message- "boot partition not found" appears and there is the link to pmOS troubleshooting.
Am not experienced with dd command, and hopefully don't have to use it, but it is the command in the Getting started section? https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Getting_sta..._a_SD_Boot  https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Getting_sta...D_on_Linux
Am typing this from PBP. What a lovely laptop! I hope to get it set up, soon. Any further suggestions or advice are welcome. I realise I have much to learn but this is one reason I got PBP.
Cheers
(07-25-2024, 08:37 PM)lgmpbp2 Wrote: Thank you!
Am experiencing some difficulty getting pmOS to eMMC.
Seems there could be a boot partition error & am reading more about it, now. https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
I get the message, ''Card did not respond to voltage select! :110'' when trying to flash eMMC. When flashing from Lexar 32 G SD in Sandisk Mobilemate+ reader then it goes to pmOS. When I put the SD card into the Microsd slot on PBP, then it tries very hard to boot into pmOS with its logo appearing but the message- "boot partition not found" appears and there is the link to pmOS troubleshooting.
Am not experienced with dd command, and hopefully don't have to use it, but it is the command in the Getting started section? https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Getting_sta..._a_SD_Boot  https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Getting_sta...D_on_Linux
Am typing this from PBP. What a lovely laptop! I hope to get it set up, soon. Any further suggestions or advice are welcome. I realise I have much to learn but this is one reason I got PBP.
Cheers

does this look similar to the issue you're having with the emmc install? if so, there may be a fix in the thread, but it appears you'll need a UART cable for some of the steps.
>''Card did not respond to voltage select! :110''
This is the problem, clearly uboot has usb0 in the boot_targets list
which is how it can boot from reader
Try .... put some other card into uSD slot (when booted from usb),,
is it readable? try putting the pm OS on a different card
BTW, the error (1st line) is not from uboot, it is from pm OS
(since pm OS tries to boot (in uSD) then at least the config files are being read)
If no uSD card is readable, then that is defective (the reader)
use lsblk to see what is readable
"bad" uSD cards are not an uncommon thing

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cant boot into an OS trashtendenz 1 174 09-09-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Unable to boot? YossiS 4 215 09-04-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: wdt
  upgrading u-boot--what version? where to get it? bsammon 11 2,123 05-22-2024, 09:33 AM
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 1,984 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 587 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 3,482 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 1,343 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 988 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,803 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 2,756 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal