Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,032
» Latest member: apache
» Forum threads: 15,652
» Forum posts: 114,409

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Pine won't boot after las...
Forum: PineTab Software
Last Post: Corfromleuven
10 minutes ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
How to update/compile Deb...
Forum: Linux on Rock64
Last Post: gedas07
1 hour ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 213
No news?
Forum: Community and Events
Last Post: Soma1
6 hours ago
» Replies: 5
» Views: 321
bes2600 driver
Forum: PineTab Hardware
Last Post: diederik
Yesterday, 08:13 AM
» Replies: 53
» Views: 11,894
Bluetooth Handsfree Bount...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: JohnA
03-27-2024, 08:51 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 1,051
Right hand mouse click on...
Last Post: oiyounutter
03-27-2024, 05:02 PM
» Views: 29
PineTab2 corrupted EMMC
Last Post: oiyounutter
03-27-2024, 04:56 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 863
irradium (based on crux l...
Forum: Linux on Quartz64
Last Post: mara
03-27-2024, 12:53 PM
» Views: 27
PinePhone only turns on s...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Hardware
Last Post: zvavybir
03-27-2024, 12:19 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 90
Reboot ending with INFINI...
Forum: General Discussion on PineTime
Last Post: plainsman
03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
» Views: 50

3 Questions about jitterentropy-rngd.
Posted by: MtnSk8 - 03-17-2021, 08:58 AM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (2)

After a bit of searching I still have some unanswered
questions about a seemingly overactive running process:

What is jitterentropy-rngd? 
Why does it keep a cpu core maxed out?
How would I keep it from doing that?

Any insight is helpful.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Thanks!

Digitizer not working
Posted by: Zdanb - 03-17-2021, 08:45 AM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - Replies (1)

Cannot enter passcode to get into phone.  Probably less than 3 total hours using phone.  It had trouble loading and said try again.  Digitizer quit on next boot.  Thoughts?

Question Pinephone mainboards on stock again somewhen?
Posted by: myxor - 03-17-2021, 06:13 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (4)

Hello,

is there any plan to get the Pinephone replacement mainboards (especially the one with 3GB RAM and 32GB eMMC) back on stock in the near future?

I would really like to pimp up my UBports Pinephone with the new mainboard containing more RAM and eMMC.

I don't really want to buy a complete new phone for this.

Thanks in advance.

Application list PMOS-Phosh
Posted by: jmorris - 03-17-2021, 12:33 AM - Forum: PostmarketOS on PinePhone - Replies (6)

[Updated November 13, 2021]

Alpine / Postmarket has over 21K packages for routers, servers, appliances and desktop.  And multiple phone interfaces.  So what are the current best practice apps?  It can take some effort to figure that out.  So a list!  Obviously it is incomplete but a place to start.  Will try to keep this top post edited as suggestions come in and the state of play changes rapidly.  Would also be willing to maintain a similar list for Plasma if enough contributions come in.

Assuming you are running Edge since things are still moving pretty quick.

Browser

• Firefox-esr is the best supported option, be sure mobile-config-firefox is also installed to make it usable on a phone. The mainstream firefox is also available and some people report it works with the mobile config as well.
  • Chromium now works out of the box.  Always good to have a second browser for balky sites.

Communications

• The base Chatty does XMPP inline with SMS so that is covered.  MMS and SIP support are now experimental.
  • Dino gives you XMPP support including conferences.
  • Telegram is in the repos.
  • Fractal gives you riot.im / Element / Matrix access.
  • Hexchat is in the repos, just don't expect much on a phone screen.  (Any other IRC?)
  • No Discord or Signal yet.

Email

• Don't know.  Evolution is in the repo but not terribly useful on a phone.

Camera

• Megapixels is the only game in town for PinePhone and is currently fairly good for still pictures.  It even recognizes QR codes.  No effort at video support yet.
  • Cheese is good if your camera is supported by the usual GNOME Gstreamer plumbing.  Pinephone isn't.

2FA Authentication

• Numberstation is now in the repos and seems to work like it should.  

Navigation

• Gnome-maps works if you have constantly available data.
  • Pure-maps is supposed to be able to work if you jump through enough hoops for API keys and are willing to drag in some Qt dependencies.
  • If you need offline navigation and do not want to struggle too much, see the anbox/waydroid notes below about OsmAnd~.

Document / Ebook viewer

• Evince seems the consensus choice.

Image Viewer

• eog (Eye of Gnome) is the default even if it isn't well optimized for mobile.  Ideas?

File Manager

• Portfolio is working well now and is optimized for a phone display.
  • Nemo seems to be installed by default, but it is clumsy on a phone display.

Text editor

• Mousepad looks pretty good to edit, file dialogs are a bit whack on a phone.
  • Gedit is often installed by default but the UI tends to overflow the screen.  No perfect choice yet.

Music player

• Lollypop is the current best choice.  It supports pausing suspend.  Still a bit buggy.
  • Gnome-podcasts is also a recommended choice, serving a different need.

Video player

• Vlc-qt is probably the best option, same as everywhere else. Not really mobile optimized and frame rate stinks, but it is the only real choice.
  • Mpv is out, no UI.
  • Mplayer also has no UI.

Other multimedia

• Sound-recorder

Utilities

Things you might want that don't fit a category above.

• gnome-calculator (only one that actually works on a phone)
  • gnome-clocks (alarms might not go off from suspend, but it is supposed to work now.  Don't overly rely on it yet!)
  • gnome-calendar isn't well optimized (adjust scaling!) but it works.
  • gnome-disk-utility
  • gnome-usage
  • powersupply
  • dconf-editor

Anbox

Anbox works well enough to be useful, but it has glaring problems.  The onscreen keyboard can't shift and it won't see a BT keyboard at all.  Sometimes it won't see the onscreen keyboard either. Many apps, especially involving sensors, simply won't run at all.  The useless extra bar with a redundant close button is annoying but livable.  It can fill two important holes in application coverage though.

2FA

• FreeOTP runs and produces the same results as a real Android phone.  FreeOTP+ and the other probably work as well.  No camera of course so no QR codes, either import existing ones from another device or try to put in the long string correctly.  With a dodgy keyboard.

Navigation

• OsmAnd~ runs and even gets a location lock and downloaded my home State's maps for offline use.  The keyboard problems would be an issue eventually, but it is usable now.

Waydroid (New for November update)

Waydroid is still in rapid development but already generally performs better than anbox.  The onscreen Android keyboard works, My BT keyboard double enters every keystroke and does something whack with a pointer that also renders it unusable.  But network now works and the screen is a lot more responsive.  No GPS yet, but OSMAND~ does install and you can manually look at the map.  As of now though, waydroid is just for playing with since it devours your battery if a waydroid session is enabled. The phone simply will not sleep, the screen keeps turning itself back on.

Mirroring Pine64 software
Posted by: phasewrap - 03-16-2021, 06:23 PM - Forum: General - Replies (2)

Hello,

I was wondering if Pine64 has any software or resources that could use a mirror located in the USA. My company has a server in Buffalo, NY with plenty of spare bandwidth and a 1Gbps uplink. Additionally, if any Pine64 products depend on non-Pine64 FOSS software that could use mirrors, I'm interested in that as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

How to determine the cause of a crash? Anything like syslog, dmesg in var/log/?
Posted by: Anna - 03-16-2021, 11:25 AM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (4)

My Pinephone crashes about five to ten times a day without any obvious cause. (Is that normal, by the way?)

In var/log/ are none of the log files (like syslog or dmesg) usually recommended as a source of information when experiencing crashes.

Are there any other files (maybe in some other directory) that I could check in order to determine the number and causes of crashes?

What do the buttons do?
Posted by: kiriakos - 03-16-2021, 05:23 AM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCK64 - Replies (1)

So my Rock64 has three physical buttons in it. Two of them are located on the edge of the emmc side and one is located north of the emmc space. I have tried searching around at their function but could only find some info regarding Rock64 running Android. The Board details page says they are Power, Reset and Recovery buttons but other than resetting the board I could not find out how the power or recovery functions are accessed or what "recovery" would mean for my system (archlinuxarm UBoot).

Context, I run archlinuxarm with the UBoot bootloader.

If anybody has more info regarding these buttons I would be happy to know what they do and if/how they could be programmed. :-)

Block Phone Numbers?
Posted by: MarkF - 03-16-2021, 05:22 AM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (6)

Hello All,

Apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn’t find a post on this.  Is it possible to block phone numbers on Mobian?  I’ve looked in the obvious places but I can’t find a way to do it.

Many thanks.

Issues with Mobian 20210314 (data and updates)
Posted by: IMSAI8080 - 03-16-2021, 03:20 AM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (5)

Hello,

used for a while Plasma KDE (still too buggy, for me) and Phosh OS (working fine) and now decided to give Mobian (20210314) a try (on this forum, it is highly appreciated). So, flashed a SD with it. 
Unfortunately, data download never started working (although, I have the 4G symbol activated and four bars). Of course, set the APN.
Calling works fine, SMS works (but no audio signal and light blinking when I got the message) and WI-FI works as well but, oddly, using it, my phone is unable to download updates ("The following packages have unmet dependencies").

Any help for the two issues?

Many thanks.

Pinephone - broken power button
Posted by: rorus - 03-16-2021, 02:58 AM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - Replies (10)

So, I have been using my Pinephone, in a wallet case not designed for it, on a temporary basis. Was working well, but had to pop the Pinephone out of the case to press the power button.

Suddenly, a very soft "ping". The little dish-shaped aluminium plate came off the power button, revealing the two contacts (the inner copper dot and outer copper ring).

Power button still works if I short across the contacts with a conductive object.

Fixing the little aluminium plate back in place with a touch of cyanoacrylate glue did not restore the power button's function, had to remove it again.

Spoke to a friend we all call "MacGyver", he doesn't like even his chances of repairing a little momentary power button, says he's succeeded twice on about fifty devices attempted.

I need a replacement power button for the Pinephone. I've searched the datasheets and component list hoping for a component ID for the little momentary power button, but it only lists the larger modules.

Does anyone know what a suitable replacement button would be? Digikey component number or a link to eBay / Aliexpress would be most welcome!