Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,151
» Latest member: Vista8720
» Forum threads: 15,696
» Forum posts: 114,609

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: treebeard
43 minutes ago
» Replies: 25
» Views: 2,502
power button not working
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: Vista8720
Yesterday, 11:26 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 19
Calls: ALSA UCM config no...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: lightwo
Yesterday, 11:33 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 52
Moving
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: traut
Yesterday, 08:53 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 130
debugging issue realted t...
Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone
Last Post: SamCoffee
Yesterday, 12:20 AM
» Views: 388
HDMI or VGA From Pinebook...
Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories
Last Post: KC9UDX
05-06-2024, 09:27 AM
» Views: 620
Pinephone boot.
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: Richy_T
05-06-2024, 08:32 AM
» Views: 107
Ox64 Without Dev Cube?
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: Pavlos1
05-06-2024, 12:37 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 88
www.pine64eu.com is block...
Forum: General
Last Post: deuitpym
05-04-2024, 01:55 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 383
Risc-V laptop from Spacem...
Forum: General
Last Post: deuitpym
05-04-2024, 01:45 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 151

Rainbow Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition to start shipping
Posted by: bcnaz - 01-23-2022, 03:38 AM - Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro - Replies (26)

As per the Pine64 notice,  ---->  this batch of the Explorer Edition phones will begin shipping the week of January 24 ..!

Who has got their Pine64 email notice that    "Your order is ready"    ?

Phone mic isn't working at all
Posted by: D347h - 01-22-2022, 09:57 PM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (2)

Hi, I have the 32/3gb pinephone. Came with manjero on it.
I first tried ubuntu, I was unsatisfied with its speed and it's default repositries. Being new to the phone I wasn't wanting to add to it.
I installed mobian to the emmc with encryption. I thought I was finally happy with this phone, untill I got a  call.
Nobody can hear me. I tried several calls it's like the mic is muted. I tried 3g and 4g all toggles are on.
I'm going back to ubuntu cus atleast calls worked. Is there anything I can do? I'd rather use mobian.
Thanks.

Keyboard causes Pinephone brick?
Posted by: acc1 - 01-22-2022, 09:37 PM - Forum: PinePhone Accessories - Replies (3)

When I connected the keyboard to my Pinephone, the keyboard didn't work after booting up PostmarketOS 21.12 SXMO. Then after rebooting, the phone hasn't worked again, it's hard bricked. Has this happened to anyone else?

The LED goes from red to amber to white, the phone vibrates, then turns off.  I've tried booting off eMMC, a different SD card, disconnecting the battery, and nothing works, the phone is 100% dead.

I wonder if I got a bad unit, or if this happened due to some HW/SW interaction with the keyboard battery.

Question Constant RockPro64 PCIe SATA Issues
Posted by: Kwarter - 01-22-2022, 05:16 PM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCK64 - No Replies

Howdy all,

I got a RockPro64 (4GB model) a while back and intended to use it as a NAS/Plex server.

Some info:
Running: Armbian Buster (Linux 5.10.63-rockchip64)
With: OpenMediaVault 5.6.21-3

I have had constant on and off issues getting my 6TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD to work with the RP. At first, I thought it might be the SATA card, so I replaced the Pine64 one with this card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGRVGVM

That worked for a few months, but then randomly the disk stopped showing up in the OMV filesystems menu. The disk still shows up in lsblk (sda):

Code:
rockpro64:/:% lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0    0  5.5T  0 disk
mtdblock0    31:0    0   16M  0 disk
mmcblk1     179:0    0 29.7G  0 disk
└─mmcblk1p1 179:1    0 29.4G  0 part /
But the partition is unable to be found.

The disk now makes strange clicking noises when it powers on (brand new HDD by the way), and the noises don't match other HDD failure sounds I've seen posted on YouTube and other places.

I thought it might be due to insufficient power, so I replaced the 12V/5A PSU with a 12V/7.5A PSU, since some people had mentioned that worked for them. The drive label says that it only needs 1A, so the original 5A supply should have been more than sufficient.

To summarize:
  • 6TB 3.5" HDD was working fine for months with the original Pine64 power supply and the SATA adapter listed above.
  • The drive stopped working and even though it shows up in lsblk, the partition is missing and the drive makes strange noises when powering on.

What I've Tried:
  • Replacing the SATA card
  • Replacing the power supply
  • Replacing the SATA cable

Any ideas? I have no idea why it would work just fine for months, but then all of a sudden stop. If I plug the drive into my main PC, it reads no problem.

Any plans for a cheaper, less powerful version?
Posted by: beta-user - 01-22-2022, 02:21 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PineNote - Replies (3)

I would love to get an e-book reader that runs GNU/Linux, but I feel like $400 for this type of device is too expensive. Since I would only use it to read books, I have no need for a quad core CPU or powerful graphics. Even original PinePhone's hardware should be good enough for this task (apps would load slowly, but that's fine for reading books) and it would be much easier to pay $200 for example. Making the screen smaller might also be fine.

Why the price increase over Pinebook Pro?
Posted by: beta-user - 01-22-2022, 01:50 PM - Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro - Replies (4)

Why is PinePhone Pro almost twice as expensive as Pinebook Pro? They both have very similar hardware, so I don't understand this big price difference. Pinebook Pro actually has a much larger screen and battery, so it would make sense for the laptop to be a more expensive device. We can see a similar thing when we compare the price of regular PinePhone and regular Pinebook.

Current prices:
Pinebook Pro - $219.99
PinePhone Pro - $399.00

Pinebook - $99.99
PinePhone - $149.99

Keyboard modification - what did I just cut through?
Posted by: CampGareth - 01-22-2022, 01:36 PM - Forum: PinePhone Accessories - No Replies

Let's start this with a disclaimer that what I have done is stupid and I am aware of that.

Does anyone have a picture of the traces around the pogo pin section of the keyboard case? You see I've cut through the case pretty close to the short side of that pad array nearest the camera cutout and I can see copper from the PCB. I think the VBUS trace was the only one hit but I can't be sure.

Why did I make the cut? I put an NVMe drive heatsink on the can over the SoC to help with heat, this added to the thickness of the phone so I cut through the back cover to allow it to fit and when I tried to make the same modification to the keyboard I got overzealous. Measure twice cut once!

Edit: the keyboard works but power from keyboard to pinephone doesn't seem to, that supports the damaged vbus theory

Keyboard function keys
Posted by: vgnmnky - 01-22-2022, 12:31 PM - Forum: Arch Linux on PinePhone - Replies (4)

I received the keyboard yesterday!  Very pleased with it, now that I've got it working (needed to raise the pin contacts on the keyboard case with a bit of paper/card).

However, I can't get the function keys (eg F5) to work.  I believe the modifier is the Pine key (Super-L/Meta), but it just outputs the number of whatever key I'm pressing with it.  Fn+F1-10 gives me the other characters like +=- etc.  Not checked they're all accurate, but it works.  I've used xev to check the Pine key actually does produce a signal, and it does.

The Pine key also works to move windows around (Pine+FN+Left/Right).

Do I just have to be patient, or is there a way to get the F keys working now?

I'm using Phosh.  Not tested these key combos in any other distro yet.

Hardware shortcomings
Posted by: commiecam - 01-22-2022, 08:49 AM - Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories - Replies (14)

I've had a Pinebook Pro for some months now, and in general I am extremely satisfied with its performance.  But this week, I was closing the clamshell when I felt something odd. 

I opened the cover to check whether I might have attempted to close it with, perhaps, a pencil in the hinge, but there was nothing. I turned the unit over to find the bottom cover had sprung open at the screw nearest the "ESC" key.  Worse yet, it appeared that the head of the flathead screw had pulled THROUGH the magnesium cover.  Closer inspection revealed that the hole in the cover was approximately the same diameter as the screw's head.

I have not yet disassembled the laptop, and in fact, I'm typing this on it at the moment, so I don't know whether this was a simple manufacturing error or, far worse, all the other holes are similarly finished.  Bluntly, after a lifetime of engineering and design work, I can say that no responsible engineer would seat a flathead screw flush with a surface without drilling a hole which passed the screw thread only, then countersinking the hole to support the head properly.

I've tried to order a new bottom plate, but needless to say, they're out of stock, as well as the other items I'd also wanted to order.  So I am leaving the laptop open, so as not to stress the hinges, board or anything else.  A sincere suggestion...  Considering the ever worsening stability situation in Southeast Asia, when combined with component supply issues there, perhaps it's time to consider manufacturing elsewhere?

Voicemail
Posted by: kmsgli - 01-22-2022, 08:23 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (10)

Hey recently my pinphone stopped sending me text messages when I get a new voicemail and I have not taken an update or anything. Anyone else having this issue?

I am running Manjaro/Phosh on a pinephone 3gb
T-Mobile service.

I used to get an sms from a strange number like 127 anytime I received a voicemail or called my voicemail to listen to / delete messages.

Thanks.