How can I open an Abiword file from an external SD card with Abiword?
I have installed Abiword on a PinePhone with PostmarketOS. I have also installed PcmanFM. With PcmanFM I can see Abiword files which I stored on an external SD card. I was not able to open them from there with PcmanFM to this date.

So I tried to open them from Abiword. With PcmanFM, I can see my external SD card. But if I try to open files with Abiword from my external SD card, I cannot find the SD card. It is not listed somewhere. Where can i find it?
Maybe you can install Nautilus and try open trough Nautilus. Nautilus should support default linux "Open with" gui where you can choose Abiword. Nautilus should also see sd card.
Thank you, alaraajavamma.
You are one of the view experts for office on the PinePhone which i highly appreciate. After hardly anyone seems to be happy with LibreOffic on the PinePhone you suggested to install Abiword and Gnumeric on the PinePhone, an advice which I highly appreciate.

Sudo apk add Abiword

Sudo apk add Gnumeric

worked for me to install these apps on postmarketOS. Now I installed Nautilus following the following instruction:

Sudo apk add Nautilus

the result was:

20 errors (try again later), 1584 Mib in 724 packages. I found no shortcut on the Pinephone desktop for Nautilus, also after reboot. Where you more successful to install Nautilus on the Pinephone alaraajavamma?
I really suffer from not being able to edit Abiword files on my external Pinephone SD card. A  feature if it worked which would make out of the Pinephone an outstanding device which can do something which Android phones cannot do. Being able to edit office files on the external SD card, is this not a reason to buy and recommend a Pinephone for this? The solution of Alaraajavamma with the Nautilus file manager seems to be the most promising solution to solve this problem. On which distro do you install Nautilus on your  Pinephone, Alaraajavamma?
(08-24-2023, 08:31 AM)Peter Gamma Wrote: I really suffer from not being able to edit Abiword files on my external Pinephone SD card. A  feature if it worked which would make out of the Pinephone an outstanding device which can do something which Android phones cannot do. Being able to edit office files on the external SD card, is this not a reason to buy and recommend a Pinephone for this? The solution of Alaraajavamma with the Nautilus file manager seems to be the most promising solution to solve this problem. On which distro do you install Nautilus on your  Pinephone, Alaraajavamma?

I just installed Nautilus on Postmarket OS Phosh Edge and it works perfectly.

I can also see my sd card and I can also use "Open with" gui and choose abiword Smile.
Maybe you are in stable and there are some issues there?
Thank you for your answer alaraajavamma,

so with Postmarket OS Phosh Edge and Nautilus it works perfectly, I am very happy that you have found this solution and are able to share it here. I previously managed to open Abiword files on an external SD card of a Raspberry Pi 4 with the latest Leepspvideo KDE plasma built for Rapberry Pi OS with the PcmanFM file manager, a solution which is already pre-programmed in this specific setup. With the Pinephone it seems to be a little bit more difficult to solve this specific problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I get the permissions to write to the external SD card ...? Peter Gamma 9 1,657 10-20-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  How to write the the external SD card with Abword? Peter Gamma 0 440 08-27-2023, 01:10 AM
  How to start Abiword if I hit enter if an Abiword document is market with PCManFM? Peter Gamma 0 448 08-22-2023, 12:41 PM
  How to include desktop file and icon in a postmarketos package patrickMcDonald 0 521 07-27-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: patrickMcDonald
  File Manager that Can Access FTP Local Network? jakfish 1 1,000 02-19-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Help how to mount SD-Card chadwick 8 7,655 11-30-2021, 11:12 PM
Last Post: chadwick
  How to import contacts with a .vcf file? LNXGUY 2 2,684 11-23-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: chadwick
  File selector dialogue crashes Firefox stozi 1 2,673 11-22-2020, 01:40 AM
Last Post: quantumphoton
  "save as" dialog file browser crashed and gone quantumphoton 0 1,620 10-25-2020, 06:50 PM
Last Post: quantumphoton
  PP boots into factory test even if flashed sd card is inserted hapster 5 6,468 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Last Post: MartijnBraam