How can I get the permissions to write to the external SD card ...?
How can I get the permissions to write to the external SD card on my Ubuntu PC which I have pulled out from my Pinephone running postmarketOS and sticked into my Ubuntu PC with an SD card reader?

I’ve installed postmarkedOS on the external SD card of my Pinephone as well as Abiword. I have created a file with Abiword and saved it. Then I’ve plugged it into a PC running Ubuntu. I can open the Abiword file on my Ubuntu PC. But when I want to save it a get an error, that I have no permission to write this file onto my SD card from my postmarketOS Pinephone. How can I get this permission?
What about:

chmod 777 shared folder/

Unfortunately I have already put my Pinephone on the screed again. Is it worth getting it back and test this?
- I picked up my Pinephone from the screed again.

chmod 777 shared/

- worked.

- I was able to open an Abiword file which i created in the documents/shared/ folder on my Pinephone with PostmarketOS on my Ubuntu PC.

- I modified the file and was able to save it in the  documents/shared/ folder of the SD card in my Ubuntu PC

- Then I have put the SD card back to my Pinephone

- Was was able to open the Abiword file I modified on my Ubuntu PC

- I was able to modify the Abord file on my Pinephone and save it again on my Pinephone

- This is everything great

- But unfortunately, when i opened the Abiword file i have modified on my Ubuntu PC on my Pinephone, the Abiword file was full of questions marks.

How can I solve this problem?
both ubuntu and pinephone use sudo system. probably you need sudo on both devices.

Code:
# user password is given
sudo chmod {parameters}
sudo chown {parameters}

in realty users and groups are store as numbers in a filesystem, then operating system determines which number is for which user and group.

Code:
# this gives root console, user password is given
sudo su -l
# or
sudo -i

# gives root, root password is given. (does not work on most pinephone systems).
su -l
Thanks for the detailed information zetabeta

I have installed Abiword from the postmarketOS store on the Pinephone and from the Ubuntu software store on my PC, so these could be eventually different versions of Abiword.

If I created an Abiword file on my Pinephone, write it to the SD card open the file on my Ubuntu PC I can modify it and write to it. But when I save it and open it again with Abiword on my Pinephone, I can see the modification, but the Abiword page is full of question marks.

Is it a diffent file format in the two installations of Abiword? I did another test and saved the Abiword file on my Ubuntu PC in  .rtf format. But again if I open this .rtf file in Abiword on my Pinephone, Abiword shows a page full of question marks, the .rtf format did not solve this?

(10-13-2023, 02:43 AM)Peter Gamma Wrote: Is it a diffent file format in the two installations of Abiword? I did another test and saved the Abiword file on my Ubuntu PC in  .rtf format. But again if I open this .rtf file in Abiword on my Pinephone, Abiword shows a page full of question marks, the .rtf format did not solve this?

Maybe check your Default Fileformat?
https://mike632t.wordpress.com/2013/11/3...n-abiword/

Ciao
Walter
Thanks walter1950 for sharing this

- The fact that LibreOffice is highly costumizable for instance for the Pinephone:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...614&page=5

- has encouraged me to make another tests. Who wants to be debugger of an app like Abiword, an app for which developement has basically stopped then years ago?

- So I still have LibreOffice to test if Abiword fails and can avoid going completely crazy looking for a wordprocessor for the Pinephone which works for my use case if Abiword should not work.

- Wordprocessor, text editor, I am not an expert in this field, and I do not know the exact definitions of these terms. So let's stick with Abiword and LibreOffice Writer.

- I did another test and created with Abiword a file and save it in the .odt format on an Ubuntu PC

- This is also the format in wich LibreOffice saves files.

- I created another file with LibreOffice Writer in the .odt format on my Ubuntu PC.

- I stored both of these files to an SD card.

- Then I was able to open the file I have created with Abiword in the .odt format on my Pinephone with Abiwrod and had not the issues I described above.

- Also the LibreOffice Writer file I created on my Ubuntu PC which i stored on an SD card and opened it with LibreOffice Writer on my Pinephone was perfect.

- But I think it needs further testing especially the issues I experienced with Abiword files I created on the Pinephone, then edited on my Ubuntu PC, which had issues when I opened those files again on the Pinephone.

- it remains to be seen if the issues I described above can be solved by choosing the .odt formatl
(10-19-2023, 12:23 AM)Peter Gamma Wrote: Thanks walter1950 for sharing this

- The fact that LibreOffice is highly costumizable for instance for the Pinephone:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...614&page=5

- has encouraged me to make another tests. Who wants to be debugger of an app like Abiword, an app for which developement has basically stopped then years ago?

- So I still have LibreOffice to test if Abiword fails and can avoid going completely crazy looking for a wordprocessor for the Pinephone which works for my use case if Abiword should not work.

- Wordprocessor, text editor, I am not an expert in this field, and I do not know the exact definitions of these terms. So let's stick with Abiword and LibreOffice Writer.

- I did another test and created with Abiword a file and save it in the .odt format on an Ubuntu PC

- This is also the format in wich LibreOffice saves files.

- I created another file with LibreOffice Writer in the .odt format on my Ubuntu PC.

- I stored both of these files to an SD card.

- Then I was able to open the file I have created with Abiword in the .odt format on my Pinephone with Abiwrod and had not the issues I described above.

- Also the LibreOffice Writer file I created on my Ubuntu PC which i stored on an SD card and opened it with LibreOffice Writer on my Pinephone was perfect.

- But I think it needs further testing especially the issues I experienced with Abiword files I created on the Pinephone, then edited on my Ubuntu PC, which had issues when I opened those files again on the Pinephone.

- it remains to be seen if the issues I described above can be solved by choosing the .odt formatl

Pinephone Original
Mobian Trixie (UpToDate)

Ok, I have einstalled ABIWORD on Pinephone, wrote some Letters and saved it to SD-Card.

The SD-Card inserted in PC (Ubuntu 20.04) and doubleclicked this *.abw-File from SD-Card.
"LibreOffice Writer" opens the File and I wrote some more Text there.
LibreOffice is saving this *abw-File to *.odt. There are no "Export-Function" to save/convert it as *.abw.

SD-Card back to Phinephone and Abiword opens the *.odt-File nicely.

What I have written, with LibreOfice to this File, is still there.

BTW:
LibreOffice is the Way to go :-)

HTH
Ciao
Walter
Thanks for sharing this test result walter1950,

If this works this makes out of the  Pinephone a Qtek 9000, a device which I was really happy about it. All the mobile office files stored on a single SD card. Then Android phones came which could to the same as the Qtek 9000. But after Android 4.4 it was not possible anymore to use the SD card for this purpose.

Now it comes back with the Pinephone which is great. This works also for  privacy mobile office,  just encrypt your SD card, that is all. 

LibreOffice is the Way to go, I agree if Abiword fails. LibreOffice is so highly costumizable that we can do almost anything we want with it.
I started a new thread about Abiword here:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=18804

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to write the the external SD card with Abword? Peter Gamma 0 440 08-27-2023, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  How can I open an Abiword file from an external SD card with Abiword? Peter Gamma 5 2,019 08-25-2023, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Help how to mount SD-Card chadwick 8 7,657 11-30-2021, 11:12 PM
Last Post: chadwick
  PP boots into factory test even if flashed sd card is inserted hapster 5 6,476 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Last Post: MartijnBraam
  terminal command for sd card size pnphn 5 6,709 04-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Last Post: someGermanGuy