Pinephone(pro) modem bug / shortcomings
I've noticed and been trying to debug an issue with the pinephone(pro)'s modem not reading sim cards properly, and I think I know what is happening, but not how to fix it, at all.

Disclaimer: I know jack-shit abt cellular modems and sim cards, so this is just a hypothesis from trial and error of swapping the sim card around.

The Issue:

A sim card that once worked perfectly can no longer make or receive calls in the Pinephone Pro on Mobian.

What I think is Happening:

When you get a nice shiny new pre-paid sim card and put it into your phone, it gets a tiny amount of info written to it, like the network provider, the phone's IMEI, etc.
I swapped the sim to my iphone once for a bit, which worked fine for everything from calls to texting and interwebs.
I than swapped the sim back to the Pinephone Pro, and I believe that the sim now has a new set of information on it that the Pinephone Pro's Modem doesn't fully undertsand.
The Pinephone's Modem now believes that the Mint Mobile sim card is in fact a T-Mobile sim card, and refuses to let me tell it otherwise and set the network to Mint.
It randomly alternates from displaying the network as 'T-Mobile' and 'Cellular' now.

Potential solutions(?):

Force the modem to wipe and re-write the sim card with fresh information every time it is re-inserted into the phone?
Is anyone else experiencing a similar bug?
Have you figured out a solution?
Interesting. I recently bought a PP, but only just got around to testing a sim card in there last week. Actually it was a bit of a disaster since the phone did not ring on incoming calls (screen flashed briefly) (manjaro) or make any sound(dial tone?) dialing out. Anyway, I put the sim card back into my tp-link 4G router, and it kept trying to connect to the wrong network. What it calls the 'dial up setting'/ 'profile list' . I tried to change it back to the correct network profile, but it kept switching back to a non compatible network. I was thinking it was a bug with the router, but now you got me wondering if the PP wrote something to the simm, if that is possible?
(06-19-2023, 03:40 AM)WhiteHexagon Wrote: Interesting.  I recently bought a PP, but only just got around to testing a sim card in there last week.  Actually it was a bit of a disaster since the phone did not ring on incoming calls (screen flashed briefly) (manjaro) or make any sound(dial tone?) dialing out.  Anyway, I put the sim card back into my tp-link 4G router, and it kept trying to connect to the wrong network.  What it calls the 'dial up setting'/ 'profile list' .  I tried to change it back to the correct network profile, but it kept switching back to a non compatible network.  I was thinking it was a bug with the router, but now you got me wondering if the PP wrote something to the simm, if that is possible?

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a modem software bug on the phone, in my experience with Mint sim cards, buying a brand new sim and using it with *only* the pinephone seems to be fine, but the second you use the sim in anything else, the problems start.

**edit:
Actually, my wife reminded me I used it in one of her androids at some point, it was after putting it one of my iPhones that I remember it screwing up

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 14 1,887 Yesterday, 05:40 AM
Last Post: diederik
  DeviceNotReady After flashing modem firmware nekonosuke 4 727 02-13-2024, 11:36 PM
Last Post: nekonosuke
  Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices Ulfnic 60 45,238 02-13-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: fxc
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 848 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 980 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 715 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,732 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  What to do if your PinePhone Pro does not boot fxc 19 19,488 09-10-2023, 03:19 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Cannot update new PinePhone Pro bent 6 3,518 05-15-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Any tips to improve the audio quality of calls on the PinePhone Pro? tux_life 2 1,532 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma