Pine's HDMI-VGA adapter
Not a rant post, just an information post and hopefully Pine team can revamp the adapter design.

So, I bought the adapter along with the board.
I'm still exploring, but I find that the audio port on the VGA adapter is on the wrong side.
The awkward position resulted in the audio connector pushing on the ethernet and power cables.

[Image: IMG_8620.jpg] [Image: IMG_8621.jpg]

Yes there's the onboard 3.5mm audio jack but for some applications (or OS), it seems to only want to output via the HDMI connector.

For example: on xubuntu image by long sleep updated by Pine (20160502), it only lists 1 output device: sndhdmi Analog Stereo, and that's via HDMI, so I'm left with no choice but to connect via the adapter. If only the port was on the other side (plus the markings on the adapter)...
looks like it is not working either.
I tried to connect earphones and no sound at all. I think workaround with Longsleep's patch will result in functional output. I will test it today or tomorrow and post it out if it works.
If Longsleep could help and give us guide line for this.
Rainbow 
I have this one...
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ZMV7...UTF8&psc=1

Translated:
"Built-in active IC chip improves compatibility."

The problem is the HDMI standard - old one is compatible with analogue signals new one not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions

So no special issue of the pine.
I use a short HDMI extension cable so I dont have to plug my adapters into the board directly, helps release mechanical strain on the board connector too. As for the analog audio jack, you need to load the audio codec driver and configure ALSA correctly, then you can use both outputs for example with pulseaudio.
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(05-04-2016, 10:28 PM)SkimMilk Wrote: Not a rant post, just an information post and hopefully Pine team can revamp the adapter design.

So, I bought the adapter along with the board.
I'm still exploring, but I find that the audio port on the VGA adapter is on the wrong side.
The awkward position resulted in the audio connector pushing on the ethernet and power cables.

[Image: IMG_8620.jpg] [Image: IMG_8621.jpg]

Yes there's the onboard 3.5mm audio jack but for some applications (or OS), it seems to only want to output via the HDMI connector.

For example: on xubuntu image by long sleep updated by Pine (20160502), it only lists 1 output device: sndhdmi Analog Stereo, and that's via HDMI, so I'm left with no choice but to connect via the adapter. If only the port was on the other side (plus the markings on the adapter)...
Does the HDMI adapter output of 3.5mm sound out work if HDMI is not connected to TV or monitor?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WiFi nano adapter EDIMAX chrissiles 7 10,460 02-26-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Matthew
  WiFi Adapter Broke??? joshdude58 3 6,408 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Can I use HDMI + USB touch screen? Voyager 9 17,446 01-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Last Post: biobill
  MAC address of Pine wifi and Bluetooth addon clawinus 2 5,745 11-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Can I plug in the Pine with touchscreen to My tv via HDMI? acv2boriqua 3 5,954 10-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Xiaomi TV BT remote on Pine? kjez 1 2,896 06-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI --> VGA Adapter Compatibility marco97pa 18 20,557 05-08-2016, 04:05 AM
Last Post: frewind
  Different ways to control Pine. jfox815 4 8,280 04-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: thatnovaguy