HDMI --> VGA Adapter Compatibility
This is my first post on this forum. I received my PINE 64+ 1GB last week and I have installed Ubuntu Linux.
Today the Shop just launched and I found an HDMI to VGA adapter. It would be great to see my PINE working with my old VGA monitor.
I think that you should change the resolution via the settings of Ubuntu. But the only resolution avaible seems 1920x1080, which is unsupported on the VGA.
The VGA adapter on the Shop website, seems a classic passive adapter with no convertion/downscaling. It only has the "add on" of the Jack output.
So I think that any generic VGA adapter is the same to this.
So, I am asking...
Some of you have already tried to use a generic HDMI to VGA adapter? It works?
Here a photo of the adapter on the website.

[Image: fd30e05dc05ec482d754fdbe007e9212.jpg]

Inviato dal mio CHC-U01 utilizzando Tapatalk
You should try it. It probably automatically adjusts, and won't give you the option to do it manually because it doesn't want you to be sitting there with a device that can't display until you reinstall the OS.
I hope that any generic VGA adapter works... I am waiting for other answers, maybe someone has tried it...
If no one has tried this, I will buy an adapter in a local store next week and try if it works
(05-03-2016, 07:03 AM)marco97pa Wrote: I hope that any generic VGA adapter works... I am waiting for other answers, maybe someone has tried it...
If no one has tried this, I will buy an adapter in a local store next week and try if it works

I have a similar model coming today from amazon. Will post results when I can.
The resolution is set during startup to 1920x1080. It is possible to change those parameters to get a different resolution. You'll probably want to use either USB->3.3v UART cable, SSH or a full HD TV to get it setup initially.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(05-03-2016, 09:18 AM)rahlquist Wrote: I have a similar model coming today from amazon. Will post results when I can.

Great! Keep us updated on your test.

(05-03-2016, 09:52 AM)Faye Wrote: The resolution is set during startup to 1920x1080. It is possible to change those parameters to get a different resolution. You'll probably want to use either USB->3.3v UART cable, SSH or a full HD TV to get it setup initially.

Great news. Do you know how to change this parameters? I can actually try it on my PINE. I guess it should be done by editing configuration files. Using the graphical interface, with the settings of Ubuntu, the only resolution avaible is 1920x1080
I have a similar HDMI to VGA adapter (looks the same but mine is white, purchased on Aliexpress) and it does work with my Pine64+, the resolution is 1080p but it seems the adapter will just display what it can on the VGA monitor (ie, on my 1600x1200 I am missing some of the image on the right and left side since they are off the screen).
Currently playing around with Arduinos, CHIPs, Orange Pis, PineA64s, Raspberry Pis, etc.
(05-03-2016, 10:27 AM)DaveyDarko Wrote: I have a similar HDMI to VGA adapter ... and it does work with my Pine64+, the resolution is 1080p but it seems the adapter will just display what it can on the VGA monitor

I think that if you change the parameters that Faye says, you will have the right resolution for your monitor [emoji6]
(05-03-2016, 10:30 AM)marco97pa Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 10:27 AM)DaveyDarko Wrote: I have a similar HDMI to VGA adapter ... and it does work with my Pine64+, the resolution is 1080p but it seems the adapter will just display what it can on the VGA monitor

I think that if you change the parameters that Faye says, you will have the right resolution for your monitor [emoji6]

Thanks, I am aware of that, I really was just reporting that it worked for me since someone asked. BTW I think the adapter I have cost less than $4 shipped when I got it, so it was worth trying for me. I have also used it with my RaspberryPi 2B+.
Currently playing around with Arduinos, CHIPs, Orange Pis, PineA64s, Raspberry Pis, etc.
setenv bootargs console=${console} ${optargs} earlycon=uart,mmio32,0x01c28000 mac_addr=${ethaddr} root=${root} ro rootwait

This shows that you can add an optargs entry to your uEnv.txt which will add additional options to the Linux commandline.
The docs suggest that if you add this:
optargs=disp.screen0_output_mode=1280x720p60
then it will set 1280x720 at 60fps. But I just tested it and it doesn't work so I'm probably looking at the wrong docs.
Using fbset when the system is up *does* change the screen mode but that isn't helpful. Maybe longsleep can say why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WiFi nano adapter EDIMAX chrissiles 7 10,459 02-26-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Matthew
  WiFi Adapter Broke??? joshdude58 3 6,408 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Can I use HDMI + USB touch screen? Voyager 9 17,445 01-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Last Post: biobill
  Pine's HDMI-VGA adapter SkimMilk 4 7,184 01-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Last Post: wpersin
  Can I plug in the Pine with touchscreen to My tv via HDMI? acv2boriqua 3 5,953 10-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Bluphire