My observations for ubuntu touch on Pinephone
Hello all,

on the same day when my Pinephone arrived, I straightly installed Ubuntu touch. My impression/experience is ..hard to explain since I didn't know what to expect.

I've installed most recent build available on 17/02/2020 CET evening using the Sandisk Extreme A1 Class 10 UHS-1. I didn't use SIM yet, I rather wanted to test basic things. Apart from everything which is known / reported not to work I have taken note of:
- using supplied usb cable, the battery didn't seem to charge or it was so slow that it wasn't noticeable (connected to laptop Lenovo T540p usb port) - even though battery indicator reported charging
- while having it connected to laptop via provided usb cable, screen sometimes activated on random basis (I didn't touch the phone) for few seconds
- while having it connected to laptop via provided usb cable, charging indicator changed on random basis, sometimes it showed it's charging sometimes not (I ensured I didn't touch cable nor phone at that time) this seems to be related to the point above
- I can hear strange "knocking" sound  when the phone is booting, seems to be from the speaker
- when I left the phone powered on during the night, I couldn't "wake" it up by pushing / holding the button on the next morning. I had to remove the battery and put it in again. It worked and booted afterwards
- wifi signal strength (as reported by indicator) is 25-50% lower than on e.g Iphone SE at the same place

I guess I'll fire up issues on git as soon as I have some energy left for it.

What are your observations when it comes to the basic device functionality with ubuntu touch ?
Build : 247  March 10,  2020
 YouTube is working via wifi,  Audio is working but kind of low volume so far. ( Watching Rob Braxman )
 Screen rotation is still stuck on protrait, with rotation unlocked.
 It does 'see' my AT&T sim card, though it is a brand new unregistered card so no actual service yet....
  ( It does show a strong signal )

Update :
 I barrowed the sim from another working cell phone.
  On the first try 'calling out' it did appear to "work"
   audio both directions.
   ( another try it was static and the voice was very low and distant and only incoming voice, no outgoing voice ))
  But when I attempted an incoming call, it came up with a busy signal ???
  When I did a restart, I can dial out and make another phone 'ring'
       but no audio.
  For incoming calls, it flashes the dial pad for an instant, but no ring 
on the pinephone end.
  So voice calls are almost there
 I can send and recieve texts but, there is no alert for new incoming
  ( or for sent messages )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
update Build 249 : ( March 12, 2020 )
I can call out and make the other phone ring, but no audio ether direction.
... after the first call out, the key pad sound disappears.
it is still set to keyboard sounds in the settings
When I attempt to call the pinephone, the phone screen will show for an instant, then disappear.

The Text messaging is 'working' but no notification sounds.

ADD :
YouTube is still working (sort of)
At maximum volume, you can barely hear it with the phone held to your ear ?
WHAT HAPPENED ?
Yesterdays release was just a little low on Max, today it has almost disappeared..!

( This is with the audio turned up to Maximum in the settings )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Build 250 March 13, 2020

Out going calls work good now, audio has pretty good volume on the call in both directions and very clear.

Incoming calls do not work yet, the calling phone gets a busy signal.

Text seems more refined now, fairly easy to navigate, incoming and outgoing works. But no audio notification of incoming texts.

Audio on YouTube is very very faint, you must put the phone up to your ear to hear it.

The screen is still portrait only, but youtube seems to be scaled pretty good on the screen.
Hopefully when they do get it to rotate to landscape, it will be scaled as nice.

Time & Date has a nice interface, but it is stuck on UTC+0
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-13-2020, 04:20 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Build 250  March 13, 2020

Out going calls work good now, audio has pretty good volume on the call in both directions and very clear.

Incoming calls do not work yet,  the calling phone gets a busy signal.

Text seems more refined now, fairly easy to navigate, incoming and outgoing works. But no audio notification of incoming texts.

Audio on YouTube is very very faint, you must put the phone up to your ear to hear it.

The screen is still portrait only, but youtube seems to be scaled pretty good on the screen.
   Hopefully when they do get it to rotate to landscape,  it will be scaled as nice.

Time & Date has a nice interface,  but it is stuck on UTC+0

Did you have calls working on a fresh install, or did you have to tweak the modem like mentioned on xnux's site?

Timezone should be able to be set using sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata. (More info on the Gitlab issue)
NO Tweaking needed, but that could be the AT&T sim card, I think it may have some of its own firmware.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I'm sure that's it then. I'm on Verizon and can receive calls (with no audio) and send texts, but outgoing calls fail and incoming texts never arrive.
Ubuntu Touch is my Fav. but a close second is Debian/Phosh
Their text messages are not quite as good, and their web browser does not do video
Their screen rotation works, but the scaling in landscape mode is terrible.
BUT I can dependably do both out-going and incoming phone calls..!
IF you were to try theirs, I would suggest the March 09 release...
The March 12 does not work "out of the Box"
The March 14 needs some polish....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Latest release, phone will not even ring another phone.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-15-2020, 03:12 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Latest release,  phone will not even ring another phone.

What happened to UT ?

I lost track of which releases were able to to call out,  I just tried the last 2 releases.

Seems I remember the calls working two way on some previous release ?
   The wifi surfing was great at one point. Now audio at max is barely a whisper on YouTube videos.

One release back will ring another phone on the first try, BUT not again on another try ?

The March 18 release (today) will not even do that, I tried two seperate downloads, on several different SD cards.

(Though the downloads are riddled with dozens of retrys, that did not seem to much affect my earlier downloads)
( I do not know if all these retrys are caused by my 'net service' or their server ?)

I have almost everything working on the Debian release (except data),  so my phone or my install techniques are
not to blame.

UT does have such a Nice refined look and Feel,  they Were leading the pack out of the gate.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,001 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  ADB support on Pinephone Sumwun 3 682 09-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Sumwun
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,426 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  PinePhone and PinePhone Pro 20.04 Focal Install and Update c3l@ 0 655 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: c3l@
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,677 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,723 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 9,297 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  GhostCloud workaround for PinePhone mark1250 1 3,089 08-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,177 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 162,275 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife