my pinephone battery is dead :/
Pretty much what the title said, dead as in 0v on the multimeter

what happened was I was testing Ubuntu Touch, had the bug where the wifi drops and can't be raised again. I didn't know yet you could turn the chip off and on again by hand so I shut the phone down (via the UT power button menu IIRC), the battery was over 90% charged according to the charge UI. That was a few days ago, when I picked the phone again yesterday, oops

Not sure it's relevant but I should also mention that when I first got the pinephone it wouldn't recognize the battery (it booted fine when hooked to a charger), I have since read people mentioning having problem with adhesive residue on the pins or the battery being wrongly sitted so I assume that's what happened (it resolved itself after a few sd card swaps, I imagine I ended up putting the battery in the correct position).

could it be the wifi chip not being shutdown properly that drained the battery flat despite the phone being off?

question number 2, shouldn't this have triggered some sort of overdischarge protection circuitry?
(02-12-2020, 11:17 AM)emptyfortress Wrote: Pretty much what the title said, dead as in 0v on the multimeter

(...)

question number 2, shouldn't this have triggered some sort of overdischarge protection circuitry?

Yes, it for sure have triggered the protection circuit inside the battery. It happened for me with PmOS  running om it, until the battery cut it off.
The battery can be charged again, but it only charges with about 100mA in the beginning, so just be patient.
(02-12-2020, 01:22 PM)Alho Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 11:17 AM)emptyfortress Wrote: Pretty much what the title said, dead as in 0v on the multimeter

(...)

Yes, it for sure have triggered the protection circuit inside the battery. It happened for me with PmOS  running om it, until the battery cut it off.
The battery can be charged again, but it only charges with about 100mA in the beginning, so just be patient.
thanks! I'll give it a try and report back.
That worked! marking as solved. Thanks Alho!
Sadly, this did not work for me. I've left the phone charging for three days now. Still nothing. I've tried two different chargers. Neither one is a fast charging power adapter. I knew the risks when I bought it. The only solution I can think of now is to buy another phone and to try to charge the same battery in the new phone.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Batte...981&sr=8-5

Something like this should get you going again. There are many variations at amazon, ebay, aliexpress etc.

For me the phone did the job of charging from 'dead' when I used the old charger from a Nexus 5X.
(04-22-2020, 05:15 PM)wibble Wrote: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Batte...981&sr=8-5

Something like this should get you going again. There are many variations at amazon, ebay, aliexpress etc.

For me the phone did the job of charging from 'dead' when I used the old charger from a Nexus 5X.

That would do it alright. Thank you for the advice. I will get one straight away. I had been wondering if such a thing existed but did not find anything until you showed me. 

I see that batteries is the only spare part that Pine64 does not provide worldwide because of shipping restrictions. I wonder if a universal battery charger with a battery inside could circumvent these restrictions. So far Pine64 has amazed me with their hardware, so I would not rule it out.
I managed to get some charge back in the battery by putting it in another phone (Cubot Dinosaur). That was enough for it to turn on the Pinephone and boot up the factory test suite.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my pinephone melted norayr 6 716 04-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone refusing to charge while suspended tiol 1 1,024 04-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Last Post: joH_N_Doe64
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 637 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 259 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 486 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,647 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 54,964 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,327 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 912 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  digitizer dead Uturn 1 1,393 08-24-2023, 08:14 PM
Last Post: nroth