Changed the bootsplash image - Kernel messages still showing
I wanted to change the boot splash image that is used during boot up. The Debian Swirl with the Open Sesame and Pine64 Logo did not really fit with the look and feel I have set up on the desktop, lock screen and login screen.

So I decided that I would need to change the boot splash image. To do so I had to figure out the raw format for the framebuffer image  (/usr/share/backgrounds/splash.fb). After some experimenting I figure out the format of the raw file and managed to convert it to a PNG. After I had done that I was able to figure out the reverse command that would create the raw FB image from a PNG.

You can use this command to turn a PNG into the FB raw file. For this to work, your PNG has to be 1920x1080 resolution. I have not tested this with other resolutions. Make sure you have installed ImageMagick before running this:
Code:
$ convert yoursplashimage.png -separate +channel -swap 0,2 -combine -colorspace sRGB RGBO:splash.fb
$ sudo cp /usr/share/backgrounds/splash.fb /usr/share/backgrounds/splash_original.fb
$ sudo cp splash.fb /usr/share/backgrounds/splash.fb
$ sudo chmod 666 /usr/share/backgrounds/splash.fb

Just to be complete, this is the command I used to convert the original splash.fb to a PNG:
Code:
$ cd /usr/share/backgrounds
$ convert -size 1920X1080 -depth 8 RGBO:splash.fb -separate +channel -swap 0,2 -combine -colorspace sRGB ~/Pictures/splash.png

So on reboot, I now have my own custom bootsplash. There is only one remaining issue. The console messages are still showing on the bootsplash screen. Even though /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf has kernel options 'quiet' and 'loglevel=3' defined. These seem to be ignored to some degree because some messages are showing on the boot splash screen. Does anybody have any tips to make this completely silent?

I did install Plymouth before I used this message but I don't think that Plymouth would have any effect on the kernel messages showing. Does it?

<<UPDATE>>
It turns out that Plymouth did get in the way. After I removed the packages (plymouth, plymouth-theme-hamara and plymouth-themes) that I installed during my experimentation, no more kernel boot messages are showing on the splash screen.
@Twix166, Thank you for the instructions. I am glad you figured out that Plymouth was the cause.
Based on your instructions, I've added a section to the Pinebook Pro wiki for this;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Changing the boot splash picture

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Hi there,
How to disable the splash picture?
I want to see kernel console text messages.

I assume I have to edit /etc/default/u-boot and erase "splash"?

Now I've got:

U_BOOT_PARAMETERS="console=ttyS2,1500000n8 console=tty0 ro quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles maxcpus=4 coherent_pool=1M"
(01-02-2020, 03:10 PM)wasgurd Wrote: Hi there,

Now I've got:

U_BOOT_PARAMETERS="console=ttyS2,1500000n8 console=tty0 ro quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles maxcpus=4 coherent_pool=1M"

Which distro are you using? I don't have /etc/default/u-boot on my Debian/Mate install.
The parameters to change on mine are in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf. Though strictly speaking you're not meant to alter the file.  I haven't yet learned how to make the changes properly. I am still reading up on extlinux to work out what to do. Maybe someone else can shed light on this?
(01-02-2020, 03:25 PM)Twix166 Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 03:10 PM)wasgurd Wrote: Hi there,

Now I've got:

Which distro are you using? I don't have /etc/default/u-boot on my Debian/Mate install.
The parameters to change on mine are in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf. Though strictly speaking you're not meant to alter the file.  I haven't yet learned how to make the changes properly. I am still reading up on extlinux to work out what to do. Maybe someone else can shed light on this?

I am using Debian Testing from the Unofficial installer. As well I can see /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf, but there is:

## /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
##
## IMPORTANT WARNING
##
## The configuration of this file is generated automatically.
## Do not edit this file manually, use: u-boot-update
Looks like you’ll have to edit /etc/default/u-boot. I think you’ll have to take out ‘quiet’ and ‘splash’.

Then run u-boot-update

https://manpages.debian.org/testing/u-bo....8.en.html
(01-02-2020, 04:27 PM)Twix166 Wrote: Looks like you’ll have to edit /etc/default/u-boot. I think you’ll have to take out ‘quiet’ and ‘splash’.

Then run u-boot-update

I did, it works perfectly.

Another question:
Does u-boot can draw any boot menu where I can choose what kernel load?
PBP ISO / Debian Bullseye (unofficial installer)
(01-16-2020, 04:41 PM)wasgurd Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 04:27 PM)Twix166 Wrote: Looks like you’ll have to edit /etc/default/u-boot. I think you’ll have to take out ‘quiet’ and ‘splash’.

Then run u-boot-update

I did, it works perfectly.

Another question:
Does u-boot can draw any boot menu where I can choose what kernel load?
Not yet.

I too want selection of both kernel and boot device. Similar to Grub.

The issue is that ARM computers tend to have different I/O. The old x86 set the standard boot time sequence to have a BIOS, (Basic Input / Output System), which allowed programs like Grub to use both keyboard and display. The BIOS I/O functions were not meant to be fast, but well documented and standardized. We don't have such for ARM computers that I know of.

Our Pinebook Pros do have space for a BIOS like firmware, in a flash memory device we refer to as SPI. But, no functioning keyboard and display are available yet. And, we don't need, (or want), to use the SPI during testing, as a mistake can soft-brick a Pinebook Pro.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro won't turn on after flashing image Idaho 2 1,016 02-21-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Idaho
  Manjaro pinebookpro images with kernel 5.7.19 rfm83 11 4,463 01-22-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  Broken usb-c to hdmi with kernel 5.18+ rfm83 6 2,667 01-22-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  minimal kernel .config? alchemist 5 5,747 08-15-2022, 06:28 PM
Last Post: svmhdvn
  Kernel panics on Youtube solostian 1 1,935 12-26-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: sirspate
  Manjaro KDE dolphin not showing usb device straightwalker 0 1,811 07-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Last Post: straightwalker
  Wiped EMMC, forgot do write new image, won't recognize EMMC zeno 4 4,163 05-11-2021, 01:53 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Latest PBP Factory Image? calinb 2 2,747 05-10-2021, 03:24 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Screen refresh delay with kernel errors shawnanastasio 31 37,596 04-27-2021, 02:57 AM
Last Post: james64
  I/O errors from SD card slot? (Manjaro, kernel 5.7) zackw 5 8,296 10-28-2020, 01:16 AM
Last Post: 25519