Any OS for Pinephone have call capability?
I gather a call was received, but not sent yet?, using pastmarketOS. I think you can also send txts on pmOS?

Is that right? Do any of the available OSes (also Ubuntu Touch, LuneOS, Sailfish) have two-way call and/or txt capability? I get the impression the answer is no, but I don't know why it feels like that. Finding actual info is really hard! (Maybe just for me, but there it is.)

Also, pmOS has mobile data working. So if I'm using Signal, for instance, which uses data instead of the cellphone company, will the calls work?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answers or where to look for them!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
I'd look at the OS dev list, or for relevant commits to the repo - experience says documentation is usually lower on the list of priorities than getting stuff working.

So far as I can tell all the available OSes are using ofono for the modem hardware abstraction. There's at least partial support for the Quectel EG25 as it's mentioned in this thread with a patch for some missing info, quite apart from some call/text functionality already working. Once it's sufficiently supported, and perhaps configured, the existing apps in the OSes _should_ just work...mostly...when they pull the working version of ofono.

The voice part will need audio routing and settings changes, and I don't know how these are handled now. The old freesmartphone.org api included audio profile switching, so that may be part of ofono too, or perhaps pulseaudio? Once one OS supports it it should be easy for the others to share.

Apps written for one of the mobile OSes ought to support audio profile switching. More generic linux apps may need you to switch profile manually, or may be capable of automation (they emit a dbus signal on state change or something).
I've been checking on the page listing OSes (https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...ng_Systems) and on the pages of the listed OSes themselves.

Don't have enough knowledge to make good sense of commits.

You're right about documentation being a lower priority than getting it done, which is as it should be. I wouldn't complain if I wasn't so impatient Big Grin
I just saw a soundcloud link of someone making a full call... I'll try to find it.
(12-14-2019, 06:43 PM)SelfHead Wrote: I just saw a soundcloud link of someone making a full call... I'll try to find it.

I think you are speaking about this thread.
(12-14-2019, 01:23 AM)quixote Wrote: I gather a call was received, but not sent yet?, using pastmarketOS. I think you can also send txts on pmOS?

Is that right? Do any of the available OSes (also Ubuntu Touch, LuneOS, Sailfish) have two-way call and/or txt capability? I get the impression the answer is no, but I don't know why it feels like that. Finding actual info is really hard! (Maybe just for me, but there it is.)

Also, pmOS has mobile data working. So if I'm using Signal, for instance, which uses data instead of the cellphone company,  will the calls work?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answers or where to look for them!

See  ' Quick call from Marious of UBPorts '

Posted by Luke

It is not the latest release,  Posted December 04, 2019

Seems they are working overtime trying to get a refined version ready for the Brave Heart.

Looks like they are setting the bar so far for the other teams to play catch up,  with new releases everyday.

GO UBPORTS !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I saw that post of Luke's. I haven't been this excited about a piece of tech stuff in years! Big Grin
I have NOT seen any operating system that claims to be working yet for the Pine phone Brave Heart Edition  ?

Last time I looked at UBPorts  site,  they are not there yet....

I did make a contribution via PayPal in hopes that could help.

When they DO get there,  I will indeed make another contribution  !

BC
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
another option to make calls via Telegram probably?
Phone calls [edit] from GUI may not be very far off now.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,081 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,666 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma