Ubuntu Touch installation guide
Found this installation guide on the Ub-ports forum for anyone interested in installing ubuntu touch.

1. Download the rootfs image from https://ci.ubports.com/job/rootfs/job/rootfs-pinephone/
  2. Extract and write the image to an SD card
  3. Plug SD card into phone
  4. Boot phone
https://forums.ubports.com/topic/3334/pi...e-tutorial
Nice one.

I have added a page to the wiki to try collate all the software information here, feel free to chip in/comment etc Smile
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(11-20-2019, 04:03 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Nice one.

I have added a page to the wiki to try collate all the software information here, feel free to chip in/comment etc Smile

Do they have a PayPal donation button or feature there  ?  (UB Ports)

I would be glad to help promote their work on the Pine Phone  !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
That is fantastic. Thank you for creating this wiki page!
Great addition to the wiki! Should we rename/reformat the page to be more reflective of and consistent with the Software Release pages for the other Pine devices?
(11-20-2019, 09:56 AM)bcnaz Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 04:03 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Nice one.

Do they have a PayPal donation button or feature there  ?  (UB Ports)

I would be glad to help promote their work on the Pine Phone  !
Good point - will add a section to each software option with a link if I find one. (Of course any forum member can edit the wiki Wink )
(11-20-2019, 11:02 AM)tophneal Wrote: Great addition to the wiki! Should we rename/reformat the page to be more reflective of and consistent with the Software Release pages for the other Pine devices?

Dunnoh how to rename- I think it would take a copy then delete the original? I guess my 6p is I struggled with the wiki when I got my RP64 so I am not ecstatic with the previous pages. Equally figure the PinePhone is also a different beast: most RP64 releases had the same kernel whereas I kinda anticipate the PinePhone options will each cook their own kernel (as well as layers on top). So works/does not work will be relevant (at least while BraveHeart breathes!)
But I don't "own" the page so if it gets altered in a better/more acceptable way that is fine by me.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
(11-20-2019, 02:03 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 11:02 AM)tophneal Wrote: Great addition to the wiki! Should we rename/reformat the page to be more reflective of and consistent with the Software Release pages for the other Pine devices?

Dunnoh how to rename- I think it would take a copy then delete the original? I guess my 6p is I struggled with the wiki when I got my RP64 so I am not ecstatic with the previous pages. Equally figure the PinePhone is also a different beast: most RP64 releases had the same kernel whereas I kinda anticipate the PinePhone options will each cook their own kernel (as well as layers on top). So works/does not work will be relevant (at least while BraveHeart breathes!)
But I don't "own" the page so if it gets altered in a better/more acceptable way that is fine by me.

I'm not sure either. What about the other pages did you find troublesome? Since it's a wiki, we should discuss potentially helpful changes. What bothered you may be bothering others.

I somewhat disagree. Though the RP64 images may have shared the same kernel, several of the other devices/SBCs have images that do not (Pinebook, A64+ come to mind, both have BSP releases and mainline releases. (Perhaps we should add categories of the available kernels, and images can be listed under them?)

I understand, that's why I didn't try to make the change myself and opted to create a discussion, so that the community can decide. Thanks for participating!
(11-20-2019, 02:32 PM)tophneal Wrote: I'm not sure either. What about the other pages did you find troublesome? Since it's a wiki, we should discuss potentially helpful changes. What bothered you may be bothering others.
It was 18 months ago so I plead the 5th! But I do remember going round in circles via the NOOB page which was widely referenced as the place to start but in fact was not relevant to me. I was coming from 2 years of RasPi as my daily driver and it had no Etcher, also the Pine64 installer did not support the RockChip boards. And getting back to the ToC on any page was a PITA, I wasforever scrolling up and down to try find the bit I thought I had read somewhere.

So my aim is to have a simple/short startline (like the OP in this thread) and then broaden out for folks who need more. Indeed I have even put a link to the NOOB page. Equally I figure at least for BraveHeart "timespan" it is going to be useful to capture details about the various releases as some are going to move faster than others. Yup there will be feedback on IRC and in this forum (as well as others such as UBports) and the best place to collate them for a newcomer is in our wiki. Which sort of drove my choice of subsections for each release.

The thread linked in the OP mirrors exactly what I would want to know;
1) How do I get my PinePhone working
2) Then some supplementary questions

What did you have in mind that would be different?
I went to the Noob page, which obviously has lots of useful information, but I'm so much of a Noob I don't know if it's useful to me.

I didn't see anything labeled "PinePhone" Those of us with more Brave(Fool?)Heart than brains are going to need a step-by-step.

For instance the Pine64 Installer linked on the Noob page looks like just the thing. But will those instructions work for a PinePhone?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(11-20-2019, 03:25 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 02:32 PM)tophneal Wrote: I'm not sure either. What about the other pages did you find troublesome? Since it's a wiki, we should discuss potentially helpful changes. What bothered you may be bothering others.
It was 18 months ago so I plead the 5th! But I do remember going round in circles via the NOOB page which was widely referenced as the place to start but in fact was not relevant to me. I was coming from 2 years of RasPi as my daily driver and it had no Etcher, also the Pine64 installer did not support the RockChip boards. And getting back to the ToC on any page was a PITA, I wasforever scrolling up and down to try find the bit I thought I had read somewhere.

So my aim is to have a simple/short startline (like the OP in this thread) and then broaden out for folks who need more. Indeed I have even put a link to the NOOB page. Equally I figure at least for BraveHeart "timespan" it is going to be useful to capture details about the various releases as some are going to move faster than others. Yup there will be feedback on IRC and in this forum (as well as others such as UBports) and the best place to collate them for a newcomer is in our wiki. Which sort of drove my choice of subsections for each release.

The thread linked in the OP mirrors exactly what I would want to know;
1) How do I get my PinePhone working
2) Then some supplementary questions

What did you have in mind that would be different?

Haha! I understand, those kinds of annoyances aren't worth holding onto. This is a great breakdown, despite the lapse in memory. I also admit that I have been frustrated when landing on the previous Noobs page. I remember a lot of links not taking me to the pages I expected, like a link with text concerning device images and the link takes you to a device overview page, instead of the Software Releases page.

Revisiting it now, it seems to have been cleaned up a lot. I think given its content of flashing instructions, the instructions for the PinePhone would be suitable to add there as well. Perhaps even a small section with links to the various Software Release pages.

Truly, the only reason I brought up the subject is consistency within the wiki. I feel it'll be more easily navigable and less confusing to newcomers if device information is laid out in a consistent manner, whether that be conforming the new PinePhone page to that of the other devices, or changing the other device pages to emulate the PinePhone page. You make a valid point, though, since the PinePhone is still in the Braveheart phase. Quick access to the information will be needed, but not necessary for many.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,005 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,436 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,677 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,178 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 162,366 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  Whats the latest with UB touch? Cree 9 11,000 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com
  UT move to Ubuntu 20.04 Concrete_panda 2 5,119 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: DrewTechs
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 11,329 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough
  How to enable SSH on UBPorts Ubuntu Touch? eaglecup 12 19,579 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Last Post: voidmain
  Ubuntu Touch 6 brings camera to RC channel doelf 2 3,971 09-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Last Post: doelf