Preferred language for creating apps for PinePhone
Hi all, I've ordered a BraveHeart and am looking forward to playing around with it.  I'd be interested in creating some simple apps for it and wanted to get people's opinions on what language people will probably use to create apps for the PinePhone.  Most of my programming is done in Python but I wonder if many people will consider Python to be too resource-intensive for a fairly small and low-spec machine like the PinePhone, perhaps going instead for something more minimalist like Lua or even C++ would be more appropriate.

What are people's thoughts on this?  If you are planning on creating apps for the PinePhone, what language would you likely use?  I know there will be the option to use different languages and that the most appropriate language will probably depend to an extent on the OS that is ultimately chosen, but I would like to hear if people think some languages are inherently better suited to the task than others.
(11-17-2019, 12:51 PM)bunburya Wrote: Hi all, I've ordered a BraveHeart and am looking forward to playing around with it.  I'd be interested in creating some simple apps for it and wanted to get people's opinions on what language people will probably use to create apps for the PinePhone.  Most of my programming is done in Python but I wonder if many people will consider Python to be too resource-intensive for a fairly small and low-spec machine like the PinePhone, perhaps going instead for something more minimalist like Lua or even C++ would be more appropriate.

I've done a little bit of development for Ubuntu Touch using QML and Python. I'm told UT is the most advanced app wise.
Since it is a linux phone I think that, when possible, the best thing would be to develop an application by decoupling the logic from the graphical interface.
For logic I think you can use your favorite language (but obviously the most portable is C) and for gui in the same way, but doing that way anyone could use the program as a library and write a different interface.

The benefit is that, over time, it is possible that better or more appropriate interfaces are developed and the logic remains the same and can be improved separately.
Obviously, this practice is not widely considered in closed operating systems because they are os-centric, but we'll have a better platform Smile
I am planning to try to use C++ and QT/QML for some application development.

Once I get a build process sorted out I will plan to share a short how to. (If anyone has already done something along these lines I wouldn't complain about some resources). My current plan is to follow the Plasma Mobile development process and see what I can get running once I have a phone in hand.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 285 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 189 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,945 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 454 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 107,200 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,695 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 563 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,220 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 465 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,613 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler