Manjaro ARM for Pinebook
(10-12-2020, 02:13 PM)Corkonian Wrote: I was using 20.06 and 20.08 from here https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...de-plasma/
20.04? Can't find it...

It appears they may have removed those images, it also appears that the reason you didn't get Manjaro to install when you botted from the SD, is that the images provided here are not the Manjaro SD>eMMC installer images. They're likely only making those for the PBP. These would have to written to the eMMC manually.

You've already got it on SD, so you could boot that SD, copy the .img you used to make the SD to a USB drive, plug that in while booted from the SD, and write it to your eMMC.
(10-13-2020, 06:43 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 02:13 PM)Corkonian Wrote: I was using 20.06 and 20.08 from here https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...de-plasma/
20.04? Can't find it...

It appears they may have removed those images, it also appears that the reason you didn't get Manjaro to install when you botted from the SD, is that the images provided here are not the Manjaro SD>eMMC installer images. They're likely only making those for the PBP. These would have to written to the eMMC manually.

You've already got it on SD, so you could boot that SD, copy the .img you used to make the SD to a USB drive, plug that in while booted from the SD, and write it to your eMMC.
So download the image, flash it to micro SD, flash it to USB, start from SD, have the SD set up, reboot and then dd if=/dev/usbsomething of=/path_to_eMMC ? What about uBoot?
(10-13-2020, 06:57 AM)Corkonian Wrote: So download the image, flash it to micro SD, flash it to USB, start from SD, have the SD set up, reboot and then dd if=/dev/usbsomething of=/path_to_eMMC ? What about uBoot?

Don't flash the USB, just copy the .img to it, so you can write that to the eMMC. Otherwise, yes. No need to worry about uboot. Those img files are pretty self contained, they hold uboot at the appropriate location already, which will be written to your drive when you run dd.
(10-13-2020, 06:59 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 06:57 AM)Corkonian Wrote: So download the image, flash it to micro SD, flash it to USB, start from SD, have the SD set up, reboot and then dd if=/dev/usbsomething of=/path_to_eMMC ? What about uBoot?

Don't flash the USB, just copy the .img to it, so you can write that to the eMMC. Otherwise, yes. No need to worry about uboot. Those img files are pretty self contained, they hold uboot at the appropriate location already, which will be written to your drive when you run dd.
so dd if=path_to_img_on usb of=/dev/mmcblk0
Or do I have no make a partition and dd if=path_to_img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1
(10-13-2020, 07:23 AM)Corkonian Wrote: so dd if=path_to_img_on usb of=/dev/mmcblk0

Bingo! No partitions, b/c the img already contains them. A dd of the img will provide all the needed partitions. Just to be safe, run lsblk before running dd, to make sure you've properly identified which is the emmc.
(10-13-2020, 07:31 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 07:23 AM)Corkonian Wrote: so dd if=path_to_img_on usb of=/dev/mmcblk0

Bingo! No partitions, b/c the img already contains them. A dd of the img will provide all the needed partitions. Just to be safe, run lsblk before running dd, to make sure you've properly identified which is the emmc.
Okay... well, then here we go... Wish me luck!
(10-13-2020, 08:26 AM)Corkonian Wrote: Okay... well, then here we go... Wish me luck!

Good luck! Wink
(10-13-2020, 08:26 AM)Corkonian Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 07:31 AM)tophneal Wrote:

Okay... well, then here we go... Wish me luck!

Edit: Worked. Got the old Pinebook running again. Now that it has swap, it's still useable for lightweight stuff like Office, Web ... 
I will share my story, maybe it will be useful to someone. This is about manjaro and u-boot. After installing manjaro, I couldn't boot properly if the pinebook had a microSD card installed. The boot always hung up until the manjaro logo appeared. The boot was successfuly only if removing the microSD card, or after 3-4 reboots. The problem was solved simply, but I found a solution a year later.

1) Prepare a bootable USB flash drive with manjaro using the "balena etcher". I used a USB flash drive, not a microSD card. But you can also use a microSD card
2) Insert the flash drive and turn on pinebook.
3) You need to type several commands during u-boot.
a) if you use a flash drive, then type
    printenv
In the output log, we look for something like "bootcmd_usb". I have this "bootcmd_usb0".
If the command is found, type
    run <your_bootcmd_command>
In my case, this is
    run bootcmd_usb0
Next, the boot is the same as from a microSD card
b) If you use a microSD card, type "mmcinfo" and see which mmc device number corresponds to your microSD card. Next, type
    mmc dev <your_SD_card_number>
In my case, this is
mmc dev 0
And boot with the "boot" command
4) All this is necessary in order to boot from the manjaro live-cd and edit the partitions on your eMMC drive. There was only one partition on my eMMC disk after installing manjaro. But to save the u-boot settings correctly, we need a first partition with the FAT32 file system at the end of the disk. I create it about 50 MB. I was only able to create a partition correctly using the 'gnome-disk-utility' (You need to type this in live-cd terminal:
    sudo pacman -S gnome-disk-utility
). In the utility itself, change the size of the main partition and then add the second one at the end of the disk.

After all these manipulations, manjaro began to boot without problems, even with the inserted microSD card. Also now I have the ability to boot from a usb flash drive  Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DietPi OS for Pinebook MichaIng 3 5,083 03-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: oxoocoffee
  Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit] KRT 46 59,212 09-26-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: mara
  Broke pinebook GUI, what to do, fix or install new? acruhl 2 738 07-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Orignal PineBook jwp1000 1 583 07-10-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook no longer boots rjtanner 12 3,129 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM
  Stock Debian on original Pinebook moonwalkers 1 3,081 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: cel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,611 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  E: The repository 'http://pinebook.kde.org.uk bionic Release' no longer has a Release pixelpaperyarn 3 5,052 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM
  pinebook.kde.org.uk no longer has release file?? supermassive 1 3,691 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Question Ran apt update on my Pinebook.. ford442 0 2,716 12-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ford442