Netrunner 18.03 Idolon for the Pinebook
(08-30-2018, 09:06 AM)sez11a Wrote: I prefer something that rolls.

What do you mean by this? To have the latest packages available? I think that Ubuntu 18.10 has quite recent packages and it is stable enough. Also, there is no need to play with the xorg and the kernel, everything works out of the box.
(08-31-2018, 12:40 AM)Wizzard Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 09:06 AM)sez11a Wrote: I prefer something that rolls.

What do you mean by this? To have the latest packages available? I think that Ubuntu 18.10 has quite recent packages and it is stable enough. Also, there is no need to play with the xorg and the kernel, everything works out of the box.

It's more than just having the latest packages available, but it includes that. Basically, I want to install my OS once, for the life of the machine, and then have it keep itself up to date, without breaking, until I replace the machine. I don't want to go through an "upgrade process," like I did for years (I've been running Linux since 1998), because it rarely works.

On all my other machines, I've broken myself of the twice-yearly reinstall cycle I used to have with Mandriva/Ubuntu/Netrunner/openSUSE. It's time-consuming, error-prone, and unnecessary. After I moved to Manjaro (which is Arch-based), other distros seemed to see the benefit, including Netrunner and openSUSE, and they both now have rolling editions. The Pinebook release for Netrunner included configuration (commented out) to enable the rolling repos, which I've now commented back in. It was that, plus the Plasma desktop, that made me interested in it.

My expectation, because of my experience with Manjaro, is that if there's still an issue, it'll eventually sort itself out in an update. For example, my company-issued laptop had all kinds of driver issues when I first got it (see here), but now it's rock-solid stable. I'm still using the install I did in April 2017, and I expect never to reinstall my os on this machine. I just get updates from time to time and keep working. I'd like to have that same experience with the Pinebook if I can. So I'll be watching to see if the Netrunner folks pay attention to their Pinebook edition, or if it was just a one-shot deal. 

I'm also looking at the 4.19 kernel, which looks to receive Pinebook support: https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining..._into_4.19. If that's the case, then the standard Arch Linux ARM distribution should work with it, which of course would let me install anything I want, including Plasma 5. If that kernel contains all the drivers for our machine, I expect to see an explosion of distros for it. Right now, it's a lot of work, apparently to collect all the drivers and configure them manually.
(08-31-2018, 08:19 AM)sez11a Wrote: It's more than just having the latest packages available, but it includes that. Basically, I want to install my OS once, for the life of the machine, and then have it keep itself up to date, without breaking, until I replace the machine. I don't want to go through an "upgrade process," like I did for years (I've been running Linux since 1998), because it rarely works.... 

R U F'n Kidding me??? You're asking all that of a $99 laptop??? I don't have nearly the experience you have, I've never had a "company laptop". I'm broke hobbyist who gets the cheapest possible components. Which is why this project interests me. But I know you're asking an OS for a $99 laptop to outdo "corporate" distros.
I remember the situation around '98; maybe shortly before, that one of my wife's co-workers installed Yggdrasil. No one expected a bunch of volunteers to create bug-free updates, never mind upgrades. Maybe you need to rein in your expectations a bit. I'm not clear why you're looking for rolling vs a type of LTS release. Personally I have no idea how labor intensive setting up a rolling vs biannual upgrade is- but if it was easy, more distros would have done it. Maybe this is a request I'd make of System76's Pop!, but a distro for Pinebook?????

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DietPi OS for Pinebook MichaIng 3 5,085 03-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: oxoocoffee
  Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit] KRT 46 59,222 09-26-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: mara
  Broke pinebook GUI, what to do, fix or install new? acruhl 2 739 07-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Orignal PineBook jwp1000 1 583 07-10-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook no longer boots rjtanner 12 3,129 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM
  Stock Debian on original Pinebook moonwalkers 1 3,082 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: cel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,612 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  E: The repository 'http://pinebook.kde.org.uk bionic Release' no longer has a Release pixelpaperyarn 3 5,054 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM
  pinebook.kde.org.uk no longer has release file?? supermassive 1 3,691 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Question Ran apt update on my Pinebook.. ford442 0 2,719 12-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ford442